powder measure question

pdhunter

looking for opinions on the best powder measure out there . the money aspect is not as important as the most consistent and reliable . I'm looking for one that i can comfortably throw a hundred charges and not worry about rechecking it every 10 rds or so

I don't think I have any that will change significantly if I keep the powder level in the tube pretty constant when running ball powders or something like Benchmark, long grain powders like 3031 or Flake like 800X I weigh every charge and just dribble for unders and dump out overs.

I don't think even if I had the best powder measure I would still check every ten, you never know if there is a piece of bottle plastic in the powder or a clump and it is alot easier to take down 10 rather than a hundred.

I have Lyman 55's, Hornady, Redding, Midway(pistol), Saeco, and an old black RCBS two drum, all but the old RCBS are Micro adjustable, the RCBS is adjustable through a hole in the back and I leave it set up for 10gr of 800x, supisingly it is the most accurate with that powder.

Every body says Harell's is the best but I could never see the need to spend that kind of money, most of my measures are yard sale or sale table at the LGS purchases.

Sounds like you want to speed things up. If money isn't big deal invest in a Progressive loader and cross your fingers that nothing goes wrong.

Last edited:
Money is always a big deal - but my plan is to start researching the very best and go backwards until i reach my price range which is in the 3-4 hundred range

Harrell's is what I've been using since the first year Lynwood started making them. However long ago that was. Had a few of them at one time, but have just the first one left.

It's my favorite measure and the only one I really use anymore. Though there are still a few other kinds buried somewhere in my junk.

I think just about all powder dumps are pretty much equal in accuracy though. A Redding, a Uniflow, they'll throw just about as consistent. The Harrell's has such a smooth feel and it's just more of a pleasure to use. They really are just about all the same though. Having snappy repeatable clicks is nice too.

I don't weigh many charges. Try and avoid using big stick powders so I don't have to. Been loading hundreds of .223 with 748 and Benchmark lately, have not weighed a single one of them. I don't stop to check either, except between 50 piece lots of brass. It drifts a tenth when it gets low, but for my purposes, a tenth is nothing to worry about.

- DAA

Starting from the top, you'd be looking at a Prometheus. Then probably an Fx120i setup from Cambraidge Enterprises. From there, you get into the RCBS etc. auto throwers and Harrell's.

Last edited:
A basic Redding is about all u need. 99.999% of getting accuracte throws relys on

1.How you operate the handle
2.Kernal size of the powder
3.Keeping the powder volume consistant in the tube.
If these parameters are watched closely its no problem to get no more than +/- .2gr.

Originally Posted By: Catdog1A basic Redding is about all u need. 99.999% of getting accuracte throws relys on

1.How you operate the handle
2.Kernal size of the powder
3.Keeping the powder volume consistant in the tube.
If these parameters are watched closely its no problem to get no more than +/- .2gr.

Still using the old Hollywood Gunshop measure I bought in 1952. Never found a need to change. Spend the time finding an accuracy node, adjust measure and lock, uniform operation & powder level, load and shoot. Have never had an issue with charge drifting.

Since there is no lock screw on the Dillon progressive measures, I do check the charge once in a while, but have never had a change there either. Smooth operation of press is critical with the Dillons, just as smooth operation on any measure.

Regards,
hm

I've been doing a little reading, one of the great advantages of the Harrell's/Culvert measure is the very accurate click adjustment, once you know the click setting for the powder in given load you can leave the scale home, great for loading at the range or on the road. Also it is set up with ball bearings for smoother operation. As others have said though it is no more accurate than some of the major brands.

Now that have learned about "clicks" for measuring I have to play with my Saeco more as it is set up with a click/number adjustable stem.

Harrell's hands down. And as stated above, it is the clicks that make it what it is. A small correction, these measures were designed by a gentleman by the name of Homer Culver.

All measures work on volume. But the adjustment is what makes the Harrels stand out. Once you set the measure to the weight of the powder you want, record the clicks. You can return exactly to the same point any time, no guess work.

I have had a number of different measures over the years including a Homer Culver converted Lyman 55 and a Harrells. None of those measures would compete with my Belding & Mull measures for consistency. They are not the most convenient measures to use but I get along with them just fine. I have two and wouldn't get rid of them under any circumstances.

Last edited:
arlaunch - sorry I didn't get back to you soon but life happens- I use mostly varget except in the 221 fireball and that is lil gun

+1 for the Harrels powder measure. Several of the guys I have shot with use them for outstanding results to 500 yds in "groundhog matches". I was using mine the other day to do some load development with a new 6.5x47 Lapua and a 308 I had barreled several years ago and did nothing with. Friends that compete further than 500 like to scale everything. I load both ways depending on how much time I have to prepare. Depends also on type of powder, i.e. small stick powders and ball powders meter best. I have also loaded a fair amount on a Dillon 550. They work great as well with above said powder types.

All my bench loading buddies use Harrels. I use the next best thing.........a Hornady Lock-n-Load. https://www.hornady.com/reloading/precis...-powder-measure The guys I've shot with always raise their eyebrows when I pull it out and clamp it to the table, but it'll repeatedly throw powder to within 1/10 grain over a period of 50 charges. I've even had some of the Harrels bunch buy them as back-up chargers...............and one sold his Harrels and bought a Lock-n-load!!! It has both a pistol and rifle metering cartridge. Worth checking out. Of course, your experience may vary.

If you are able to use it to load your rifles, then it has the rifle cartridge. I only use the pistol cartridge when I'm bench loading my 1885 Highwall because I'm using a magnum pistol powder and only 17 gr of powder. The pistol cartridge is much more accurate for lighter weights. The pistol cartridge won't hold enough powder for my .223 rounds.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vect0rstarHave you looked into electronic powder dispeners?
I've got a Hornady electronic dispenser, the only time I pour straight from there into the case is for plinking 223... no matter which dispenser I use, it will always end up on the beam for precision loads

Last edited:
Back