40 grain 204 bullets

pyscodog

I have Nosler, Hornady and Berger. Which do you think will work best in my CZ? Its a factory American so I'm assuming its a 1/12 twist barrel. I'm going to load a few of each, just curious what you think or have tried that worked for you. Thanks!

Just getting into the 204 also. Weather has not cooperated with my off time for range time.
I would say you need to throw the 39grain Sierra BK in there for good measure.

From all of my reading the 40's may or may not shoot. Seems that some barrels marked 1-12 are just a bit less1-11 1/2 and will shoot the 40's. Some people say to get the 40's to shoot they had to get them up to speed to over come the lack of twist.
Jeff

+1 on the 39's. I find that speed will help with the heavier bullets and 1:12 twist. Listen to your barrel.

I found the 39 Sierra to be very accurate with imr 8208, however it was inconsistent penetration wise on coyote. After shooting a few, I went back to my 17 rem with 29 gr WCD bullets. Next winter I will run some 35 gr Bergers through a few coyote for comparison. My rifle has a 1/10 twist barrel. The faster twist maybe a factor especially on the frontal shots inside 200 yards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootI found the 39 Sierra to be very accurate with imr 8208, however it was inconsistent penetration wise on coyote. After shooting a few, I went back to my 17 rem with 29 gr WCD bullets. Next winter I will run some 35 gr Bergers through a few coyote for comparison. My rifle has a 1/10 twist barrel. The faster twist maybe a factor especially on the frontal shots inside 200 yards.

My experience with the 39SBKs was similar to yours but I was shooting a factory 12 twist.. I’ve since ordered a 1:11 MullerWorks to replace the factory tube. Once that’s installed I’ll be trying the 40 grain Berger’s.

To the OP, I’ve read from many 204 owners that 1:12 is marginal at best for the 40s. I’ve never tried them personally. I can attest to the 39 SBK being very accurate out of both of my CZs in 204.

I have a HOWA Ruger 204 Mini. It shoots 32 gr. bullets up to the 40gr.Noslers very well. I'm quite fond of the caliber and the rifle. Haven't shot a coyote yet with the 40 gr. Nosler, truck is in the shop. I have shot a badger with good results. Rudy

From what I’ve seen most of the 12 twist problems shooting the 40’s has been with the Hornady. It’s a little longer. Almost all cz’s will shoot the 40gr Berger well as well as the 35gr Berger and the 39gr Sierra. Mine, it shoots the 40gr Berger and the 39gr Sierra superbly! I mainly shoot the Sierra since it’s cheaper and has a better BC.

Back