Coyote hunting

Camospred

Just moved here to Middle TN from Virginia. I live around the Hermitage area and I'm New to the coyote game. I have gear, a foxpro deadbone call, and a 17 HMR or Rem. 870 to use. Could use a mentor to take me out and show me the ropes. Any help or info would be appreciated like to find someone that i could go with on weekends.Thanks

Last edited:
I am in central Ky but hunt in TN every now and then. My older brother lives in Nashville (Franklin). You should consider hitting the LBL (Land Between the Lakes). You can go out for weekend long hunts there. You might have to buy Ky hunting license but its cheap compared to most states Non Resident license. It might be a bit of a drive but for a full weekend its more then worth it. Your shotgun would be all you need there. As far as someone to show you the ropes I can't really help you there but you can do it the way I did. Read everything you can and try it all to see what works for your area. I have ruined a lot of hunts at the beginning but its started getting better as I saw my mistakes. Shotguns in the woods seem to work much better for the day time here. Called my first one in with a double reed rabid rabbit call on my second attempt. Then didn't see another one for about 5 months. Don't get down. It will get better. Just keep trying different stuff.

As far as finding good spots & getting permission if needed for $30 a year I get onXhunt app. Will give you property owners names & boundary lines. Also shows where game lands are & the amount of acreage to all those properties.

Welcome to Predator Masters ! Use the "Google custom search" at the top of the page. Just type in what you want to learn about and read read read & ask questions on here too.

Check this out :

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=83113&page=1

I think I’m going to go up there this weekend. Since it’s febuary u can use a centerfire rifle. I’ve heard there are a lot of coyotes in the area but haven’t been personally yet. Has anybody else been out there this season? Results ?

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickAs far as finding good spots & getting permission if needed for $30 a year I get onXhunt app. Will give you property owners names & boundary lines. Also shows where game lands are & the amount of acreage to all those properties.

Welcome to Predator Masters ! Use the "Google custom search" at the top of the page. Just type in what you want to learn about and read read read & ask questions on here too.

Check this out :

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=83113&page=1

Does it give you this in proximity to your current location? I'm able to find all that by using county GIS as well as getting fantastic up to date maps (google earth pro, now free) but it doesn't account for my current location while hunting.

Originally Posted By: BigRedBeard Originally Posted By: Pa. MickAs far as finding good spots & getting permission if needed for $30 a year I get onXhunt app. Will give you property owners names & boundary lines. Also shows where game lands are & the amount of acreage to all those properties.

Check this out :

Does it give you this in proximity to your current location? I'm able to find all that by using county GIS as well as getting fantastic up to date maps (google earth pro, now free) but it doesn't account for my current location while hunting.

They have a free trial you can try out. But yes, it shows you exactly where you are on your map. It offers satellite imagery, topography, or a combo. GPS shows where you are. Many layers that shows property lines, roads, water, etc. Tools to determine lines distances, area shapes with acreage, waypoints, etc. Gives your coordinates, altitude, has a compass, a trip tracker, all kinds of fancy stuff. You can even save your intended hunting area ahead of time to access later even without having signal.

Originally Posted By: AdamTOriginally Posted By: BigRedBeard Originally Posted By: Pa. MickAs far as finding good spots & getting permission if needed for $30 a year I get onXhunt app. Will give you property owners names & boundary lines. Also shows where game lands are & the amount of acreage to all those properties.

Check this out :

They have a free trial you can try out. But yes, it shows you exactly where you are on your map. It offers satellite imagery, topography, or a combo. GPS shows where you are. Many layers that shows property lines, roads, water, etc. Tools to determine lines distances, area shapes with acreage, waypoints, etc. Gives your coordinates, altitude, has a compass, a trip tracker, all kinds of fancy stuff. You can even save your intended hunting area ahead of time to access later even without having signal.

How do you get it to show topography? I was trying last night and couldn't find it. Figured it was on the map layers option.

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: AdamTOriginally Posted By: BigRedBeard Originally Posted By: Pa. MickAs far as finding good spots & getting permission if needed for $30 a year I get onXhunt app. Will give you property owners names & boundary lines. Also shows where game lands are & the amount of acreage to all those properties.

Check this out :

How do you get it to show topography? I was trying last night and couldn't find it. Figured it was on the map layers option.

Look towards the lower right of the map area on your screen. It’ll have a circle with a ring around it that shows “SAT”. You can tap it to go through the option of satellite, topography, or hybrid which is both at the same time.

Back