Another Coyote Quickie

DoubleUp

First stand on tonight's hunt--nothing. Second stand my hunting buddy makes a great 220 yd. DRT shot with his Photon and an AR in 223 shooting a 50 gr. V-max. I had killed the last two and he was needing to put one down so even though he came in on my side I was happy to let the coyote pass me so my buddy could have the shot.

IMG_20180219_205638918 by Double Up, on Flickr

You can see the video in the video section should you be interested.

Thanks P. You will notice in the video that the coyote is coming hard and then all of a sudden slams on the brakes. That is when my buddy turns his IR light on. I've thought that it would be better to keep the IR light on all the time much like conditioning them with a scan light before hitting them with the kill light. He likes to just turn it on when getting ready to shoot. It stops them almost every time that glow at the source comes on. What do you guys think?

Now that's teamwork ! Very nice !!

Not trying to be a smart azz, where's the video section ?

Last edited:

As mentioned, nice team work.

As to IR, it seems to be bitter / sweet. My experience at the bait site is that some coyotes are scared of it and others, while they see it, don't seem to mind. Also leads me to question if coyotes tolerate the light better coming from my cabin than they might out in the field.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpThanks P. You will notice in the video that the coyote is coming hard and then all of a sudden slams on the brakes. That is when my buddy turns his IR light on. I've thought that it would be better to keep the IR light on all the time much like conditioning them with a scan light before hitting them with the kill light. He likes to just turn it on when getting ready to shoot. It stops them almost every time that glow at the source comes on. What do you guys think?

What type of IR is he using. I’ve never had an issue using an external IR (850 nm I think) with my photon, but I have spooked coyotes and a fox when using the Equinox with an 810nm IR.

Pa Mick, it is at the top of this Night Calling forum. When you click to open the Night Calling from Forums just look to the top and you'll see the videos listed as a separate sub forum.

P99, he is using an 850nm T-20 with the focusable head and 3 way switch.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpPa Mick, it is at the top of this Night Calling forum. When you click to open the Night Calling from Forums just look to the top and you'll see the videos listed as a separate sub forum.

That’s the same external IR I’ve used so I’m at a loss. I wonder if all 850 nm IR lights are “created equal” in the wavelengths of light they emit.

P99, I have several different IR lights and when I was calling with them, they all pretty much got the same reaction. Granted not every coyote spooked and not every coyote looked at the light, but I also figured out not to turn my light on as the coyote was approaching. I started the stand with it on low power like a head mounted scan light would be. Later I got two different lights with rheostat control, Sniper Hawg and Infinity, and that made it much easier to ease up the power.

I think it is that the source light spot appears out of nowhere when my buddy turns his light on, and it alerts them. I suppose it isn't the light as much as it is they may also hear the switch click. That's part of the reason I went thermal plus I was having trouble picking the coyotes up going from the thermal scanner to Photon, and then there was the IR bloom creating that white out at the shot.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpP99, I have several different IR lights and when I was calling with them, they all pretty much got the same reaction. Granted not every coyote spooked and not every coyote looked at the light, but I also figured out not to turn my light on as the coyote was approaching. I started the stand with it on low power like a head mounted scan light would be. Later I got two different lights with rheostat control, Sniper Hawg and Infinity, and that made it much easier to ease up the power.

I think it is that the source light spot appears out of nowhere when my buddy turns his light on, and it alerts them. I suppose it isn't the light as much as it is they may also hear the switch click. That's part of the reason I went thermal plus I was having trouble picking the coyotes up going from the thermal scanner to Photon, and then there was the IR bloom creating that white out at the shot.

You may be correct and the click could be at least some of the problem. Back home in Texas I never had a problem, but I was using a head mounted scan light that was already illuminating the coyote so maybe that concealed my IR. Here in Germany, we can only scan using NV, no lights whatsoever or shooting with NV. There are a lot of Red Fox and I am convinced they see the IR of my Bushnell as I have spooked several.

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke99Originally Posted By: DoubleUpPa Mick, it is at the top of this Night Calling forum. When you click to open the Night Calling from Forums just look to the top and you'll see the videos listed as a separate sub forum.

That’s the same external IR I’ve used so I’m at a loss. I wonder if all 850 nm IR lights are “created equal” in the wavelengths of light they emit.

Same light I have and I have had several lock up or spook off when I turned on the IR. I get a lot of coyote/bobcat/fox pics on some of my trail cams and 80% of them the predator will be looking right at the trail cam if it is at night. I want a thermal scope but like a lot of things I want, just have to wait a bit.

Last edited:
Back