Bullet Tumbling When Suppressed.

hunterjim00

I haven't run into this issue before and wondering if any of you have. My Ar Set up for years has been a Remington R-15 equipped with a Silencerco Hybrid. Which worked great. Recently I decided I needed an upgrade. So I purchased a Christensen CA-15 G2. I shot it without the suppressor getting it zeroed around 50 yards before I move out to 100. I throw the suppressor on and notice the bullets hitting the ground about 25 yards out. So i'm baffled now. I walk to the target at about 10 yards and shoot three rounds they hit about 12" apart and hit the target sideways. Any guesses? It doesn't appear to be striking the baffles at all either.

Last edited:
It's got to be hitting something. If it can zero without the scope, but short hops with a scope, it's got be hitting something and the suppressor is the only variable. Sounds like a possible bore to thread issue.

like the others said, its gotta be hitting somewhere. if the holes in paper were clean (bullet not tumbling) when non suppressed, its gotta be the can.

if you have a endoscope, look down the suppressor with it, you'll find a nick somewhere along the stack.

if its a factory threaded barrel, the threads not being concentric is totally a possibility. doesnt take much to get out of alignment enough for a baffle strike.

i'd have it a concentrically check done by a smith asap before you do some damage to your can, or get ahold of the mfg and have them verify it under warranty.

my $0.02 usd

I had an ACR that wasn't threaded concentric from Bushmaster, imagine that. Slideways bullets at 15 yards. Very slight kisses on the end cap of my can. ACR was gone the next day.

Also my .22LR pistol thread adapter got so leaded up bullets were being affected. I didn't think to clean it and it only took about 5,000 rounds to get it leaded up rally bad. Sideways bullets making a heck of a noise coming out of the can. Somehow I didn't have any damage to my suppressor.

Depending on how the suppressor mounts, the brake may need a crush washer to time it to your rifle so that the suppressor is timed to eliminate the chance of a bullet strike.

Follow the instructions for the installation of your QD mount carefully. Not all manufacturers use crush washers. Some use shims and state that the use of crush washers can cause damage and void warranties.

Timing doesn't, or at least sure as heck shouldn't have any effect on concentricity anyway.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAATiming doesn't, or at least sure as heck shouldn't have any effect on concentricity anyway.

- DAA . Exactly! A crush washer only affects the rotation of the device. If you have had a strike there are really only a couple of possible causes. Eccentric threading or a bullet failure in the suppressor. In this case the bullets are still whole going through the target. It is possible that it’s not your barrel that is the issue. It could be the threads in the can. I have one that when I got it the first thing I did was chuck up a stub of barrel steel and thread it. While the threads were still running true to the spindle I measured the runout at the muzzle of the suppressor. It was .030 which when the exit diameter is only .025 over bullet diameter is a baffle strike waiting to happen. I sent it back and made them fix the end cap threads. That’s the only true way to evaluate the suppressor threads.

Last edited:
The real reason crush washers are not recommended for suppressor mount installations is that a crush washer may not 'crush' concentrically, making the mount just ever so slightly off to one side or another. Add a 7" suppressor and that eccentricity gets amplified at the end of the suppressor, much like MOA works when shooting. Only a little off at the mount will mean it's more than a little off at the suppressor end cap, risking a strike. Been there, done that, got the strike to prove it.

Crush washers don't always crush evenly, causing misalignment of the muzzle device. Crush washers often swell beyond the Fisher of the muzzle device, interfering with mounting the silencer. Several silencer companies warn against using crush washers.

Here is something discoverd if a muzzle brake does not have enough clearence it builds carbon and you can miss seening it,but it will knock your bullets off.so like stated it is hitting something on the silencer.

I screwed up once when I first got into shooting suppressed... used a crush washer, got lucky as the end cap strike was ever so slight.

UPDATE?

Back