22-250ai vs 22creedmoor

While I’ve got all the Creedmoor haters here... what are you shooting that’s so much better? (For what it’s worth I use the Lapua offerings but the difference is insignificant to me so I’d consider myself a Creedmoor fan.)

Every argument seems to boil down to "the Creedmoor is popular.... I don't like popular things. I want to be different.... Just like everyone else..."

I don’t look at a “cartridge” and think I need it. I find a bullet I like, and then I find the most sensible means to get it down range. For a lot of people, I think the Creedmoor answers that question. Yes, for many more, it’s just something from a magazine that turns them into a shake and bake 1,000 yard shooter.

I’ll say that the 6.5x47 has planted itself firmly in my lineup. It’s about due a new barrel, and after considering a 6 Dasher and a 6x47 Lapua, I came right back to where I started. Sure, the Dasher may be a little more accurate and the 6 Lapua a little better on paper, but the absence of fireforming and necking down brought me right back to the original idea.

I don’t have any emotions tied to the cartridges I shoot. I choose the one that best accomplishes the goal I have in mind. I don’t hate on creedmoor anything I own a 6.5 creedmoor and think it is a well thought out and executed round. I think the same thing of the 6.5x47 lapua which I also own. I have plans of building a 6creedmoor or 6x47 lapua also, but as of yet I can’t decide which. My comments are not emotional but fact based. I explained my choice for the 22-250 ai based upon my knowledge of both cases and the availability of components at the time of my build. I don’t see how that makes me a hater, I looked at case dimensions when I decided on the 22-250aI and they were so close to the 22creed that I had to look elsewhere to make my choice. So it came down to availablity of dies, Reamer and brass. The 22-250 ai was easier to get that’s it...

Originally Posted By: TimgunnerI don’t have any emotions tied to the cartridges I shoot. I choose the one that best accomplishes the goal I have in mind. I don’t hate on creedmoor anything I own a 6.5 creedmoor and think it is a well thought out and executed round. I think the same thing of the 6.5x47 lapua which I also own. I have plans of building a 6creedmoor or 6x47 lapua also, but as of yet I can’t decide which. My comments are not emotional but fact based. I explained my choice for the 22-250 ai based upon my knowledge of both cases and the availability of components at the time of my build. I don’t see how that makes me a hater, I looked at case dimensions when I decided on the 22-250aI and they were so close to the 22creed that I had to look elsewhere to make my choice. So it came down to availablity of dies, Reamer and brass. The 22-250 ai was easier to get that’s it...

For the most part, I think you and I agreed on one another's point of view, it was just that we were on opposite sides of the coin and though we disagreed, I never felt that we were disagreeable.

I'm actually a fan of the Creedmoor case design and IMO the 22 Creedmoor, especially since you can soon get 22 Creedmoor brass that's good quality and ready to go right out of the box, will make for a very easy to load for hot rod 22 cal. but when you have people talking about it having 150-200 fps advantage over the 22-250AI, well, my BS detector pegs the needle.

Originally Posted By: CZ527While I’ve got all the Creedmoor haters here... what are you shooting that’s so much better? (For what it’s worth I use the Lapua offerings but the difference is insignificant to me so I’d consider myself a Creedmoor fan.)

I don't hate em or love them.....I just get a kick out of the way everyone's gone ape chit over them.

As far as the .224 family goes....if I ever wanted something hotter than my 222 I'd build a 222Mag.....
smile.gif

I have shot a 220 swift for 56 years.
Put 2 Winchester 70's to bed and working in a Ruger 77, now.
One Winchester was made in 1950 (Dad's) and the other in 1962 (Mine)
I hung them on the wall before they were shot out.
Never worried about all this stuff. I just loaded shells and shot ground hogs.

Its not a hate situation for me either, and I AM a 6.5 Creedmoor owner and have been for over 5 years. I simply found it to be another answer to a question that maybe only a few people were really interested in hearing. I am a fan of 6.5 bullets and have been for years as I've owned hunting rifles in 264 Win Mag and 6.5x55 Swede for years, and I bought a 260 Rem when it was the darling of the firearm world.

For the most part my 6.5 CM sits in a gun safe as I didn't and don't see it as the ultimate answer to anything. Marketing hype has turned it into some kind of a saviour of something which it isn't at my house. Good quality factory ammo is available for just about any cartridge/rifle combination you can name today, and none are "more inherently accurate" than any other if loaded well. Whether it be factory or hand loads for any given cartridge.

Sorry. No matching Guicci hunting boots and tactical vests for me yet.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: CZ527While I’ve got all the Creedmoor haters here... what are you shooting that’s so much better? (For what it’s worth I use the Lapua offerings but the difference is insignificant to me so I’d consider myself a Creedmoor fan.)

I don't hate em or love them.....I just get a kick out of the way everyone's gone ape chit over them.

I too have a 6.5X47 Lapua and like it well. The biggest gripe I have with the Creedmoor, in general, is the fan-boys that believe this cartridge family is amazingly superior to all others around. It is pretty fun to watch. SO many people drank the Kool-Ade by the gallon. Hornady's marketing department deserves more than a Christmas ham as a bonus.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: CZ527While I’ve got all the Creedmoor haters here... what are you shooting that’s so much better? (For what it’s worth I use the Lapua offerings but the difference is insignificant to me so I’d consider myself a Creedmoor fan.)

I too have a 6.5X47 Lapua and like it well. The biggest gripe I have with the Creedmoor, in general, is the fan-boys that believe this cartridge family is amazingly superior to all others around. It is pretty fun to watch. SO many people drank the Kool-Ade by the gallon. Hornady's marketing department deserves more than a Christmas ham as a bonus.

This nails it. The only place where Hornady could have cashed in more is to market t-shirts with a clever 6.5 CM logo and maybe a picture of the cartridge on the back. They'd have sold bazillions when coupled with their other marketing efforts.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

I have shot a 220 swift for 56 years.
Put 2 Winchester 70's to bed and working in a Ruger 77, now.
One Winchester was made in 1950 (Dad's) and the other in 1962 (Mine)
I hung them on the wall before they were shot out.
Never worried about all this stuff. I just loaded shells and shot ground hogs.

There you go. That's just good thinking right there.
thumbup1.gif

I think maybe (just a guess) what people get annoyed with is how the Creedmoor is assumed to be a do all by many. For example, I get asked a lot by hobbyists and new shooters “how about a 6.5 Creedmoor for coyotes?” Ummm no, that’s a very poor choice.

The cartridge can’t do everything, but it does what it was designed to do extremely well- whether it was an idea “borrowed” or not.

Anyway, sorry I got drawn into this off topic discussion.

How, exactly, is that a poor choice? I honestly can't think of a reason not recommend it for coyotes...except for maybe the 6mm Creedmoor.

It is annoying to me because people claim it to be better than everything else in class. The fact is that the difference between it and a 6.5x55 or a 6.5x47, or a 260 is negligible. It was created by expert marketing and people have eaten it up. But, it is no miracle cure for anything.
If I were looking for a 6.5 in that class range, I would do a 260 improved. But why bother, it doesn't do anything other calibers I have won't.

It is annoying to me because people claim it to be better than everything else in class. The fact is that the difference between it and a 6.5x55 or a 6.5x47, or a 260 is negligible. It was created by expert marketing and people have eaten it up. But, it is no miracle cure for anything.
If I were looking for a 6.5 in that class range, I would do a 260 improved. But why bother, it doesn't do anything other calibers I have won't.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadHow, exactly, is that a poor choice? I honestly can't think of a reason not recommend it for coyotes...except for maybe the 6mm Creedmoor.

It’s miserably slow, leaves one [beeep] of a hole, and the MPBR is conservatively less than impressive. By the way, do you attack everyone’s comments on a routine basis, or have I offended you in the past?

Originally Posted By: ackleymanNobody has started with a 7 Creedmoor yet, wonder how long it will be?

Keith I’ll be honest with ya...the 6.5 Lapua was already on the block when the Creedmoor came along. I have often wished it was a 7mm Creedmoor. I have two 7mm-08 rifles, a CDL and a Montana 84M. Neither of them shoot well (even tried your pet load) and I have had next to no luck with heavies because of magazine confines.

However, it wouldn’t have sounded as sexy, and probably would have went the way of some other good hunting rounds, like the 338 Federal.

Back