22 NOSGAR factory prepped brass

BleedsBlue

this thread is just a feeler to see the level of interest in factory prepped brass for 22 Nosgar (22 nosler with 6.8spc head) as a solution for the poor performing rebated nosler brass.

simply swap to a 6.8spc bolt, prime the brass, drop powder, press bullet and shoot.

currently the only solution is 6mm Hagar brass formed and trimmed.

lets see a show of hands and have an open discussion about a such product if it were able to be produced.

Truly factory brass would sell but it's going to have to be hard like Lapua. The Starline 6.8 is not bad but not particularly hard. Better than most Federal but nothing world beating like OLD. SSA.

Greg

I don't understand the hate for the 22 Nosler rebated rim. Mine will take at least a dozen firings at 3500 fps with 55s. 22" Rifle +2 non adjustable gas. Very little swiping, no bent rims. After a dozen or so firing the case head will swell from .373" to .380" and I crap can it. It only one or two pieces every time I do 100 or so. I loose more than that in the field. I see the 22 Nosler as a hunting round not a bench rest round so I don't see a need. Ive only seen 1 split neck. When it won't go in the shell holder it's time to junk it. Not sure brass is meant to live forever and only 36 cent per on sale.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I don't understand the hate for the 22 Nosler rebated rim. Mine will take at least a dozen firings at 3500 fps with 55s. 22" Rifle +2 non adjustable gas. Very little swiping, no bent rims. After a dozen or so firing the case head will swell from .373" to .380" and I crap can it. It only one or two pieces every time I do 100 or so. I loose more than that in the field. I see the 22 Nosler as a hunting round not a bench rest round so I don't see a need. Ive only seen 1 split neck. When it won't go in the shell holder it's time to junk it. Not sure brass is meant to live forever and only 36 cent per on sale.

How many rounds down that tube now? At a dozen loadings you must have a bunch down it if you started with 200 or so that would be over 2000 shots. How is the accuracy now compared to when it was new.

Greg

Last edited:
I would love some over the counter brass without a rebated rim. My brass gets 2-3 firings before it's toast, with my load of 55 NBT's and CFE-223 at 3550. I shoot suppressed with a rifle length gas system, tuned to throw brass at 3 O'clock. The brass compacts around the rebated rim so it will not fit in the shell holder. I deal with it to get the performance but if it can be improved I'm game.
Greg,
I have roughly 2000 rounds down my barrel, possibly a lot more, and it still shoots under MOA. At moderate velocities it doesn't seem to be a barrel burner, most of those were not hot loads, I have a mild load for shooting varmints. What ever the round count, I've gone through 1350 pieces of brass, over half of which is in the recycle bin or laying in the desert. Gotta pay to play!

The factory preped brass would be great for nosgar .but I have no problem with making my own . I just wish they would keep the 6mm hagar brass in current production.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: varminter .223I don't understand the hate for the 22 Nosler rebated rim. Mine will take at least a dozen firings at 3500 fps with 55s. 22" Rifle +2 non adjustable gas. Very little swiping, no bent rims. After a dozen or so firing the case head will swell from .373" to .380" and I crap can it. It only one or two pieces every time I do 100 or so. I loose more than that in the field. I see the 22 Nosler as a hunting round not a bench rest round so I don't see a need. Ive only seen 1 split neck. When it won't go in the shell holder it's time to junk it. Not sure brass is meant to live forever and only 36 cent per on sale.

How many rounds down that tuhe now? At a dozen loadings you must have a bunch down it if you started with 2000 or so that would be over 2000 shots. How is the accuracy now compared to when it was new.

Greg
Ive had 5 22 Noslers. When I started in last year with my 1st I only had maybe 80 or 100 pieces of brass. I ran a bunch through my 1st woa chasing out little 1.25" flyers which I attribute to various things. There is some of my brass that has had it azz shot off and it is now all mixed as I said screw it and am no longer keeping it sorted. It not uncommon for us to dump 20 some rounds on one night stand. Ive amazingly have been able to find an recover much of the post firestorm brass back. The reason I only have a piece or two per batch that wont go in the shellholder is because that is the original brass I started with that is still in the mix. I find it some what nice that once its been well used that the head swells which helps me sort out the heavily worked pieces that would lead to potential throat abuse from split necks.

Last edited:
Something I have noticed that when we got into the colder hunting temperatures when I would frequently go out and check zero with my thermal scope I would notice my case head look very good so I'm sure the cfe223 isnt building quite as much pressure when it's 30 degrees outside.

Guys why are you settling for 3550fps? Get good brass and bump it 100fps and tighten those groups.

my Cfe223 nosgar load that was pushing 3789 at 70-80 degrees dropped to 3650 at 9 degrees.
(About 1.5-2fps per degree)

It was a real eye opener, I switched to H4895.

The nosler brass was unable to survive the pressures. But I did notice that after the nosler brass got to the point that it could not fit the shell holder I could turn the rims in the lathe and at this point the brass has work hardened to the point where it quit getting swipes.

I also love the fail to feed issues of the nosler rebated brass in cold weather.

Hagar brass makes everything about the 22nosler better. It takes a somewhat ok round to a real hotrod.

The 22nosler was promoted very well and has become very popular. It's time that everyone gets a taste of good brass and see what they are missing out on.

Hopefully with enough enthusiasm and support along with people kindly making mentions to Starline via phone and email we can get this project up and moving without a few of us having to finance it.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223 It not uncommon for us to dump 20 some rounds on one night stand.

he is not lying. have seen some of his videos.
w00t.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: varminter .223 It not uncommon for us to dump 20 some rounds on one night stand.

w00t.gif
lol.gif

Sometimes it works.....many times is does not
frown.gif

Dragging this one back to the top. I contacted Starline brass and they are entertaining the idea of making a run of 6.8 SPC based wild cat cases when they make their next run of 6.8 SPC. These cases would have the 6.8 case head and be strait wall cases a bit over 2" in length with no head stamp markings. While not factory formed cases this would give us another option to make our own 22 Nosler brass minus the rebated rim. I would rather form my own brass than spend thousands of dollars to get a custom run of cases made up. The brass could also be used to form any other 6.8 based wild cat so it could be useful to more than the 22 Nosler guys. If you are interested in getting this moved along contact Starline and let them know what you think.

Contact Starline Brass
Toll Free: 800-280-6660
Local: 660-827-6640
Starline Brass, Inc.
1300 West Henry
Sedalia, Missouri, 65301
info@starlinebrass.com

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: varminter .223 It not uncommon for us to dump 20 some rounds on one night stand.

w00t.gif
lol.gif

Sometimes it works.....many times is does not
frown.gif

Lead in the air.........maybe. No lead in the air.......no maybe. LOL

Just wanted to revisit this thread and hopefully awaken the people whom want a high performance varmint cartridge with readily available barrels and dies in the cheap.

Let's give starline another nudge, for goodness sake they produced that valkrie junk. Why not lengthen it and give us something good to play with.

Not yet. I haven't seen where you can B/O. Per Creedmoor.

6MM HAGAR BRASS
Availability: Backordered 8/15/2018

Greg

Last edited:
Back