Holiday Monday single

Snowshoes

Park the truck in the same spot as the last two days but this time instead of following my snowmobile trail to the west, I would walk almost a half mile north on the lease road. Nothing beats a plowed trail for ease of walking and my legs may have actually thanked me at some point.
Once I get to a hilltop east of the slough, I cut through the trees beside the road and set up at the edge of those trees. This spot gives me a view of the open field and the slough to the west. Glass the slough bottom and see 3 coyotes on the far side. Pull out the e-caller and start off with female howls. I hardly get a look from the three. Try some kitten distress and get the same casual look from the three, then some yelps which result in the same lack of response. Sit for a couple minutes contemplating what to do when I see two coyotes coming towards the slough from the north. Well now I have a new audience to try calling over and try some jackrabbit distress, which results in no response once again. Switch to mole squeaks and turn the volume up which gets one of the original three on a dead run through the reeds towards me. Well, I guess that was the dinner bell!!! Mute the caller and watch the coyote continue its journey towards my location. It stops at roughly 275 yards out. Not wanting to be fiddling around with the remote, I give some loud lip squeaks which puts the coyote gears back into motion. The coyote comes to the edge of the reeds but doesn’t act like it wants to venture into the open field. I thought I put the cross hairs onto my target but the shot was a miss. The coyote lopes south and I am barking and howling to try stop it. I see the coyotes lope slow down and I was pretty sure it was about to stop. Sure enough it stops and this time the shot is true.
Ranged the last shot at 209 yards ( this first one would have been around 170 yards)

Congrats on the single. This spot has been very good to you. It looks to be a young one, was the fur good?
Again thanks for the pic and story.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats on the single. This spot has been very good to you. It looks to be a young one, was the fur good?
Again thanks for the pic and story.
Yes this has been a good spot (this year and in years past). It was a young coyote with mediocre fur.

Originally Posted By: Rebel Silver Wolf
Another great story and from the pic looks like there's plenty more to kill from the tracks in the snow!
For some reason the reeds along this slough bottoms is a coyotes playground
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: fratriThanks for sharing the story and pics.
Nice shooting
Thank you fratri, we won't won't talk about that first shot
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Darrel WytonGood thing to do on a long weekend. Thanks for sharing.
Usually get together with my son for a hunt during the family day long weekend but he's been busy-busy this winter.

Back