Upgraded gear vs Just hunting

Displayed Name

How many people think that they would shoot as many or more coyotes with a Stevens 22-250 3-9x scope versus all the gun projects/ newest gear/ multiple firearms etc.

Not judging heck I’d have one or two of it all if I could but sometimes wish I could shut the brain off and just hunt. Problem is projects I find to be as rewarding as the hunting.

How about big game hunters? Wish you just shot the one 30-06?

I think that the less time guys have to hunt/shoot, then the more time they spend buying and researching....stuff that really doesn't matter....
thumbup1.gif

I've got a good hunting/shooting pard that due to his life obligations he doesn't get to hunt as much as he would like and he spends much more time obsessing over intricate details and "stuff" than he needs to. A smart guy told me that "spent primers are the supreme tutorial"....and that's the truth. You can read 'til your blue in the face but that doesn't take the place of "doing"

I only use one at a time anyways so I think so. I don't upgrade until something isn't working anymore or close to not working no matter what it is. I used an old Johnny Stewart Preymaster for a long time,spliced the wires back together somewhere along the way and ran it the way it was. Shot a .223 until I won a 22-250 in a raffle. I've called in just as many coyotes with the JS Preymaster as I have my FoxPro Inferno,maybe more. And killed way more with the .223 than the 22-250. Which I guess I haven't been using either for near the same amount of time but still....

Last edited:
New stuff is fun but my favorite stuff has scars, dirt and blood on it and operating it feels as natural as a spoon or fork.

I don't always necessarily upgrade ether. Several years ago I got a hankering for a high powered iron sight rifle so I picked up a mosin nagant 91/30 for around $130, I enjoyed it so much I decided it earned a whitetail hunt(got laughed at in camp) and while it was no Boone and Crockett, I got one of my nicest 8 point bucks with it and it was the best of my group, heck of a shot I might add.

If the gun is MOA I am good to go. I have learned camo is mostly hype, scent control is a gimick, a feather on a stick is a fine decoy, and I like my hand call more than the E-Call. Half of the garbage i thought I needed ended up in the trash...I should have spent all that money on gas.

The one and only Stevens rifle I ever shot would have not gotten me many coyotes ,unless I got them close enough to hit'em over the head with it.

I would kill a lot less with that combo, too much scope for me and too powerful of a cartridge for most of what I do..

Part of the journey for me is trying different things just to see how they work for me. 50+ years of doing this and having owned a gunshop/range for awhile in there, I've gotten to play with a lot.

It gets boring shooting the same gun day after day.

Collecting gear is the new hunting for a lot of guys. It's that way in a lot of sports. With less and less time to actually "do", collecting gear takes place of the doing.

I've noticed a lot of guys who HUNT a lot seem to have really well-worn, "Old Trusty" type rifles and shotguns that, well, look like they've been used a lot. Now they might have more than one, but if given he choice between spending time setting up a new rifle vs hunting...

Grouse

I do like your handle, I was in your part of the country in Dec. and we worked over a bottle of "Smoky Dark".

Summer is for working up loads, it is planned that way, pelts don't prime until it gets cold and summer is good to sit at the bench refining your gear for winter.

Last edited:
I like the gear but I also spend enough time out hunting to use it. To me, being comfortable and knowing how to use your gear is most important. For example, I had a Leupold VX-3 that I just couldn't grow to like, had a couple issues with it and absolutely lost confidence in myself. Went and bought a Vortex AMG and now I feel like I can make any shot.

I know a lot of guys who just buy guns and gear and never use it. If you use it and enjoy it, have fun!

Life has gotten a lot busier for me and time is scarce so I’m lucky now to hunt a total of 25 hours a season. In my late 20’s early 30’s I hunted/guided 2-4 months straight a winter. Left that and went to full time farm work, wife bunch of kids haha it’s all fun just brain farting with the premise.

Safe hunting to all.

I'm in that dilemma right now. I want to start doing Backcountry hunting out west and the gear to do so is not cheap. I was planning on a couple rifle builds but I am going to put that on hold and maybe even sell a gun or 2. I'd rather be out doing what I love instead of just accumulating guns that I really don't get to shoot as often as I would like. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about a gun build but I really want to start hunting mulies and elk every year and my pocketbook will only allow 1 or the other right now. I started accumulating points a few years ago so now is the time to start.

I can always buy/build a rifle but the years and memories of putting boots on the ground and hunting are passing fast. Just my experience.

I’m guilty of buying the lastest and greatest gear calls or what ever. I think a guy just needs an accurate rifle with a decent scope and a few calls and go calling.

I spend a lot of time at the local range, and I get to see a lot of other people's guns. I think It's much better than a Bass Pro or Cabela's counter. Most of the time, the proud owner wants you to try their favorite rig with their personal modifications. And most of the time i happily oblige.
I have had the pleasure of pulling the trigger on some Jewel's and some Anschutz's, and let me tell you, they seem like game changers.
I have seen some Henry rifles shoot almost one hole groups at 50 yards. Marlin 36C's the same way. Old rem or win 22 target rifles from the 50's that actually did shoot in one hole @ 50. (They seemed almost boring).
Some of the trijicon scopes that were crazy clear. (Not a lot of high end rifle equipment owners at this club). With all of this, I do try to get the most for my $$ by researching a lot of a certain product to help me make the most informed choices.
No club member ever had a kimber Montana, that I knew of, until I bought one for coyote hunting. Going from a heavy Ruger Varmint to a lightweight Kimber was a good choice at the time for my back injury I had back in the day. Today I am working on building a Tikka T3x Lite with a manners stock for what is hopefully for me, 'the ultimate hybrid' coyote rig with the stability of a heavy varmint, with the lightweight-ness of a mountain rifle.
I just ordered the Manner through the snipershide group buy. And I did my fair share of reviewing that stock. (The stock costs more than the rifle!)
smile.gif
But in the end, I hope, (for me), it will be the ultimate coyote harvesting machine for my applications.
Right now Im researching a high-end aftermarket trigger. And the one Im looking at costs 'almost' as much as the rifle! I know, the Tikka factory is sweet and all, (even after the YoDave Spring installment),but for just on one rig of mine, I want to have a high end trigger. So for now, Im a lot better in the R&D department than the actual slaying department. I do intend to do a lot more field positional shooting this spring and summer to up my field game. Im also in the market for step up in the tripod department. The upgrading seemingly never ends. And for my old carcass, I don't mind it all that much.

I would have killed most of the same coyotes with my Savage 204, but after going to the AR platform, it was definitely a worthwhile upgrade for me. A couple stands with multiples I may not have pulled off with the trusty bolt gun, no way to know for sure.

On the other hand, I will say that some of my most satisfying stands have been with the bare minimum of equipment. It just feels good carrying in nothing but rifle, sticks, and a diaphragm call.

It is a very vicious cycle, but hey, some guys build cars, others may like to knit...it is what a hobby is all about. It is all good stuff!!! I have way too many guns and the latest gimmicks, but I enjoy trying to take game with different gear. It changes things up a bit and allows me to see if something actually does work better that something else. Most of the time, what I had 30 yrs ago works just as good as what is on the market today!!! It is a fun game though!! Keep huntin guys!!

Back