H-S Precision vs McMillan HTG

BangFlop

My Remington LTR shoots awesome. The barrel however is not centered and I have been debating having the action bedded in the factory H-S stock OR spending that $175-$200 on a McMillan OR leave it as it is?

Would like to hear your all’s thoughts!

Thanks
Steve

I’ve had a few rifles shoot amazing just by pillaring and bedding the action. Take a dremel to it and center it yourself after pillaring and bedding.

I don’t care for the ergonomics of the HS Precision stocks. I like much more the way the HTG and the MCST feel. The Manners is more squared off on the bottom of the fore-end the HTG is more rounder and feels more like a hunting than a tactical stock. I like the grip of both of them much more than the HS. I would much rather spend your money on new stock. If you sell the HS for the going rate of like $250 add it to your $200 for bedding and you are almost to the price of a nice stock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CZ527I’d take option C, and get a Manners MCS T.

Yes, MCS T with adjustable cheekpiece.

thumbup1.gif

You'll want to have anything you get bed to your gun so going to a different style stock because you like the ergonomics of it better is fine but other than that, you really aren't going to gain anything.

Unless you just don't like the feel of the stock that's on your LTR, I'd say have it professionally bed and be done.

Ok I understand you saying your barrel is not centered in the channel, you also stated that it shoots great. So what is your goal in the end? Another thing is the HTG stock, while I a am huge McMillan fan and have a bunch of them, the HTG is way down on my list of stocks that I like. I've had prolly half a dozen and just can't warm up to them. The drop in the comb doesn't lend itself to a good cheekweld with all the scoped rifles I've tried them on. What makes you mention the HTG compared to your LTR stock?

brdeano,

My goal is to have the barrel centered in the barrel channel and shoot great. I ended up talking with H-S (as I really like the stock overall) and they should be receiving it today. We will see what happens. The barrel is free floated already, but the action sits in the stock crooked and that can't help the accuracy, so fixing that should only improve the accuracy if anything.

Thanks all,
Steve

Received the new stock today. The notes say that they bolted an action from there “safe” to check alignment before shipping. I bolted it up and it is centered.

H-S was great to deal with and it all took 5 business days with shipping.

I've not had very many factory rifles but never had a problem with my HS Prec stocked factory rifles not being centered, I did with two of them that had B&C stocks though.

Back