New NV and Thermal Laws introduced in South Dakota... UPDATE!!!

skinney

Director
Alright fellas,
While most were at SHOT, we were here pounding not only fur, but banging out some new legislation for our great state.

I present to you HB 1219
I will post a link up at the end of the paragraph.

Woke up this at 2 a.m. and once again headed to the Capital building, to testify in front of the House Ag Committee. I testified as a proponent to amend the current law, so that the landowner does not have to be present with the hunter, instead he may give written consent.

This has honestly been more work than fun, taking time from family, work, and filming, to do something I think is right, and will benefit many sportsman, such as yourselves.

What still gets me, is not only do I have to testy against a state agency with basically unlimited lobbying funds, but they use our money to lobby against us, all the while bridging the gap for out of state hunters in giving them a prime opportunity to professionally present themselves to not only our states but our nations top tier producers.

I'll ask all of you for help who support this, and those who think money is more important than rights, or who you work with, it's whatever, as I've now been a part of politics from angles I've never thought I'd experience.

https://legiscan.com/SD/text/HB1219/2018

Last edited:
Just received a notification e-mail, this bill could reach the house floor as early as tomorrow, best thing we can do now is email and call their local reps in favor of this, so when it comes time, at least they've heard from some support.
Thanks again fellas.

Thanks for keeping up the fight! I hope the SD residents here take the time to contact their reps and voice their support for this legislation. Calling and emailing really does help inform and sway legislators. They often don’t have a clue about many of the things we do as predator hunters because they aren’t predator hunters themselves. Let them know rational people are in support of this.

UPDATE: HB1219 passed the House floor, 46 yeas to 21 Nays... Our next obstacle is the Senate Ag Committee, it must be passed there first, I'll be going back to testify again and will keep you all posted...

Members who need to be contacted and urged to support our bill are as follows. Cammack, Gary. Ewing, Bob. Frerichs, Jason. Heinert, Troy. Klumb, Johua. Monroe, Jeff. Otten, Ernie. Soholt, Deb. Youngberg, Jordan.

Let's focus particularly on Cammack, Ewing, and Otten, they voted against it last time, however we don't have any organizations lobbying against us this time that they are tied too.

All Senators on the House Ag Committee need to be emailed or called or both, there are probably 3 solid Nay votes, and we can't afford 2 more otherwise the bill is dead, and it's try again next year...

Let's do this.

UPDATE: I just got back from the Capital with Mark Foster we both testified in front of the Senate Ag Committee as proponents to HB1219 allowing landowners the option to give written consent to hunters who use NV equipment to take Coyotes on private ground. The Senate Ag Committee passed it 7 yea's to 2 nay's. It now will hit the Senate floor and come to a vote. If we can get enough support from you to call into the senators offices urging them to support HB1219 it has a possibility of passing Veto proof.
Spread the word.

Just so you fellas know, this probably benefits the public sportsman as much as landowners, allowing them access to more land, and hunting experience, this isn't just an issue that should be pushed from my "landowner" perspective. This is a chance for many opportunities in the hunting industry.

Thank you.

Fellas, Update on our Night Hunting Amendment. HB1219 has cleared the Senate floor, 30 Yea's to 3 Nay's. We have one more push to ask of all you Sportsman in favor of this bill, Please take your time and write a formal email to our Governor, respectfully asking him to support our efforts in passing this bill. It's the last piece of the puzzle fellas.

You Night hunters understand, We don't stop when We're tired, We stop when We're done.
I'm asking you to help us do this one more time.
Link below to contact our GOV.
http://sd.gov/governor/contact/contact.aspx

Good job guys!

Check out the FP page "Michigan Predator Hunters for Centerfire at Night" Took us 14 months to get Centerfire legal here in Michigan but it was well worth the effort...

Good job guys!

Check out the FP page "Michigan Predator Hunters for Centerfire at Night" Took us 14 months to get Centerfire legal here in Michigan but it was well worth the effort...

Hey Skinney,

Thank you for all of your hard work. I emailed our Governor today and asked for a response from him on the matter. I hope this passes without any issues. Thanks again.

Fellas... UPDATE: on HB1219. Rep Steve Livermont sent me a text early this A.M. and notified me that this bill was signed by the Gov. Yesterday.
Thank you guys for all the support in this Mark Foster, it's a lot of work and would not of been possible without any of you. This is a big step for American Sportsman's rights by bridging the gap and creating new relationships with Private Landowners in helping them protect the animals they raise, as well as protecting game species that many hunt for sport and food!

Well done skinney !!! Congrats to you & all of your fellow sportsman !!!

I'm finding out the kind of time & effort you have put in as I have started down that road in order to get thermal & night vision legalized here in Pa. Very time consuming & frustrating at times !

thumbup1.gif

Back