Sealed can less accurate?

spotstalkshoot

For a varmint/bench gun, under 1/2 moa rifle,will a sealed can be less accurate then a suppressor that can be opened and cleaned? In order to stay in my budget it seems more affordable to buy a sealed suppressor. I'm looking at the Sig Sauer line.

All in 1800 for two, 1500 would be better. Because I will need to have 4 or 5 barrels threaded. I had been at 1000 each, but threading barrels will be 250-350. I know this accessory is not cheap, but if shooting "cook" cleans the suppressor like a self cleaning oven, why do I need to pay more for can that can be opened and cleaned ? Retaining accuracy is a priority.

Shooting doesn't "cook" clean the suppressor. Shooting leaves carbon build up in the baffles that adds weight to the suppressor. I have not seen the extra weight diminish the accuracy of a rifle, but it does change the point of impact over time.

Leadfoot has user serviceable centerfire cans. Very reasonable price. A local swears by them, I've never been around one but plan on trying them next.

I don't know if it's necessary to clean them. Just to keep the weight down is the only reason I see. But it takes a long time to build up to add any appreciable weight. AFA accuracy, if anything I seem to get better groups now than when they were new.

Most cans blow themselves out with each round. Yes, you will always have some carbon inside them, but they don't block up, unless you are shooting rimfire into them since rimfires shoot lead into the cans that will block them up.

There is nothing wrong about shooting a sealed can. No, your accuracy will not be better with a serviceable versus a sealed suppressor. In fact, on some serviceable suppressors, the baffles must be correctly clocked to maintain accuracy. My friend has a Griffins Armament Optimus. We shot it and things went great. But after disassembly and cleaning, we noticed an accuracy issue. When he went back into it, he found that during reassembly the baffles got misaligned. He got them back into alignment and it shot great. Turned out that they just needed to be clocked correctly. Must have something to do with the gas going through them that threw off the accuracy since there were no baffle strikes.

I shoot a sealed, YHM-30cal Stainless QD suppressor and I have no accuracy problems whatsoever. My friend likes to be able to reconfigure his Optimus to use with his pistols. A well built suppressor of either design is going to work great for you.

I just received a varmintor 3.0 a couple weeks ago and took it apart last night and it was really bad. I had a heck of a time getting it apart. I probably had about 400 rounds through it. I couldn’t believe how much carbon was built up in it already. If I new how to post pics on here I would have posted some.

As you noticed how much carbon was in after 400 rounds, what do you think one would look like after 4000 rounds? Hence the reason to go serviceable in my opinion as sealed can is just going to continue build up. They also say to clean every 100 or so on the box I believe on most serviceable units.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadHow many guys shooting PRS are using serviceable cans? I'm gonna go with few to none.....and they shoot a lot more rounds than most.

I agree 100%, everyone that manufactures a "serviceable" can uses it as a selling point, they'd be stupid not to. Ours are serviceable, but I don't even consider the thought of pulling them apart until a minimum 10K rounds, and usually not until 15 to 20K. How many of you guys are gonna actually run those numbers, especially on a precision hunting platform?

If you "think" you need to clean your centerfire cans after every few hundred rounds or few thousand for that matter, you are wasting your time. It doesn't need to be done (if you want proof I'll show you) BUT if you feel the need, go for it... I would focus on the important things, like keeping your barrel clean.

I'm in my late 50's, hunting partners and friends/family numbers are in declining numbers. I shoot for load development and hunting, probably 300-700 rounds a year. And that number is declining,especially with the shared reloading knowledge from this site. I find/develop loads faster now,with less shooting. Equipment upgrades will probably continue this trend,shoot better-shooting more productively. Maybe less noise will lead to more shooting, or at least more coyote doubles, either is fine.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: liliysdadHow many guys shooting PRS are using serviceable cans? I'm gonna go with few to none.....and they shoot a lot more rounds than most.

I agree 100%, everyone that manufactures a "serviceable" can uses it as a selling point, they'd be stupid not to. Ours are serviceable, but I don't even consider the thought of pulling them apart until a minimum 10K rounds, and usually not until 15 to 20K. How many of you guys are gonna actually run those numbers, especially on a precision hunting platform?

If you "think" you need to clean your centerfire cans after every few hundred rounds or few thousand for that matter, you are wasting your time. It doesn't need to be done (if you want proof I'll show you) BUT if you feel the need, go for it... I would focus on the important things, like keeping your barrel clean.

Given the amount that Skinney shoots, he would know. I agree with his sentiments about "thinking" about doing things. A lot of guys "over do" things because it "feels" right. Can't tell you the number of times I get criticized for not cleaning my guns as much as other guys think I should. Yet, I am right there shooting with them and not having malfunctions and I am shooting every bit as accurately as they do. But they still "feel" the "need" to comment and criticize.

I have shot a lot out of my suppressor, surely not as much as Skinney, and I look into it from time to time. Once the initial carbon got on there, I haven't seen an appreciable increase in carbon fouling since.

I shoot a few rounds through cans. Sometimes and often thousands in a week. Personally I would never have a serviceable precision can.
First off a monocore (which most serviceable cans are) will never suppress as good as a fully cut stack. Fully welded cans will be stronger for their weight and when built properly like our Ultra series will not see any stringing effect when they got hot. We also have no FRP at all on centerfire cartridges and are known for making some accurate cans. How this for runout and we don't EDM bores. We just build them straight.
pY4Nxdw.jpg

Back