anyone from Ohio?

ohihunter2014

Just wondering if there are any fellow Ohioans out there and if so hows your coyote hunting expeditions? I went out several times last year in farm fields and logged woodlots ive hear dogs and seen tracks and nothing commited. We coon hunted one night around now and right when we crossed the fence the woods went on fire from all directions maybe 50-75yards away. We went back 3 nights later and one in a stand and one hiding in a blow down with the caller and mojo out in the fence row and nothing committed. went to a large river bottom field with thickets all around and fence rows and tracks all over in the snow and nothing committed. Im wondering if its a complete waste of time? NE ohio here about 40min west of Cleveland.

Columbiana county here. I have had no luck this year at all.
Mostly calling public land and small farms. Haven’t seen a thing this year.

I’m calling yotes in west central ohio. Started calling middle of October. Probably have made 25 sets since then. Killed 3 so far. Always tougher after deer season to get the yotes to commit. They are super survival mode now. Call the thick stuff for the rest of the winter and try and get in very stealthy.
My success has gone way up since I’ve been really going out of my way to get to my calling sets undetected. Don’t alow them any chance of hearing or seeing you walk in.
Just my 2 cents.

I've had a good year so far. I'm South of Cleveland. Seeing dogs and I'm in double digits!! Missed 2 and haven't got shots on a few. Hopefully I'll get them all from here on out!!!!!

Originally Posted By: crazyyoteI've had a good year so far. I'm South of Cleveland. Seeing dogs and I'm in double digits!! Missed 2 and haven't got shots on a few. Hopefully I'll get them all from here on out!!!!!
How far south if ya don't mind me asking? Im in like SE Lorain county.

I have best luck calling right at daylight, it sucks getting up so early but It works for me . I am going out tomorrow hunting over coyotes with the beagles I'm sure a couple of them are going down with the fresh snow we have.

Ashland county here,
Hoping to get out during the daytime here with this cold snap but have been doing some hunting at night! Seeing lots of dogs and managing to get some of them in the back of my truck
smile.gif

This cold weather should have em hungry!

What sounds are you using prey or coyote vocals? Are you hunting during the daylight or after dark? I’m in SW Ohio...Preble/Butler counties.

Right now I have good luck hunting all day long. Food is scarce, birds are migrated, lots of rodents sleeping, no berries, they seem to be hungry all the time.

I only howl to locate the general areas the packs are running in, then go back the next day with my distress calls.

As winter fades into spring, I hunt less during the day, and go back to my 'warm weather' patterns, 5am to 9am, then 5pm till 9pm, give or take a little depending on sunrise and sunset times.

I have better luck in the evening when they are just getting up from snoozing all day and are hungry. Sometimes the morning hunts are slower, I think because they have been hunting all night and might already have a full belly and not interested in the calls.

There's lots of ways to hunt them, find what works best for you and go with it.

Regards,

Rudy

Back