Whats gonna happen if they ban AR's?

pyscodog

I know all the "pry it from my cold dead hands stuff", but in all seriousness, what if some how they manage to pass a bill making it illegal to own an AR type rifle? What will people do with the rifles they own? Will they have to turn them in or destroy them? I really don't think it will happen, but "what if"? Thoughts and opinions please and keep it civil.

I think they would ban accessories, like in 94'. Adjustable stocks, pistol grips, etcetera, basically make it so that if you want a semi-auto rifle it'll have to look like a bolt action rifle. Or...nothing.

This is the slippery slope I keep telling people about. An AW Ban won't stop these shootings, because so many people have AR's, mags, stocks, barrels, etcetera. So, what's next? Confiscation. This is why we can't give an inch. Liberals don't see that, because I honestly believe most can't look past the first step. The people on top know what their end game agenda is. Give it time.

The biggest enemy in this fight are shooters acquiring all of this stuff legally...

Originally Posted By: pahntr760It would cause civil unrest and many people would die on both sides of the argument. And I firmly believe that.

Lets hope it never gets to that.

Last edited:
My last AR was a wildcat round in 6mm and I had them machine in a bolt action, no flash hider and if I take off the grip what they going to call it.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760It would cause civil unrest and many people would die on both sides of the argument. And I firmly believe that.

I can see where a very small percentage of crazies would go down fighting, probably the ones that already stockpile and play army in the woods. That’s the fight they’ve been training for after all. I do wonder how strong their resolve is and if they might change their mind after the bullets start flying and they kill someone or see one of their friends killed.

I’d like to think that the vast majority of Americans that own AR-15s are good people and would not be capable of killing someone who is only trying to do their job. (Confiscate illegal weapons) If somehow this country managed to make AR-15s illegal, it would certainly happen in a manner that follows our constitution and laws. The 2nd amendment can certainly be repealed just like the 18th. I highly doubt anything like that would ever happen but it is possible and that’s one of the things that makes our country great. The world changes and we need flexibility to create and change laws accordingly.

Honestly, what I think would happen if they came for our guns.. A whole lot of people would end up having “privately sold” their AR-15 to someone they can’t remember. With no way to track private sales there would be untold numbers of ARs out there that can never be tracked down.

If anything changes I suspect it will be more in line with better background checks and age restrictions. It appears bump stocks are on their way out and honestly that doesn’t bother me at all. It’s hard to justify the need for something like that. I can see higher capacity mags being restricted as well. I can’t think of a good reason anybody really “needs” a 30 round mag, let alone larger capacity ones. Sure it’s “cool” to be able to own them but if you need them for hunting, you’re doing it wrong. If you need 30- rounds for self/home defense, something has gone epically Hollywood wrong..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chzOriginally Posted By: pahntr760It would cause civil unrest and many people would die on both sides of the argument. And I firmly believe that.
I can see higher capacity mags being restricted as well. I can’t think of a good reason anybody really “needs” a 30 round mag, let alone larger capacity ones. Sure it’s “cool” to be able to own them but if you need them for hunting, you’re doing it wrong.

Not to nitpick your post but have you ever had a hog problem on your farm?
I kill hogs on a few farms and 30rd sometimes feels inadequate.
Sneak up on a sounder of 20+ hogs and see how much of a waste of your time it is to only have 10 round magazines.

So i do not see any reason to restrict magazine capacity.
The issue still isn't about the arms as bad as they want to blame them.
Its a people problem, always has been and always will be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanOriginally Posted By: chzOriginally Posted By: pahntr760It would cause civil unrest and many people would die on both sides of the argument. And I firmly believe that.
I can see higher capacity mags being restricted as well. I can’t think of a good reason anybody really “needs” a 30 round mag, let alone larger capacity ones. Sure it’s “cool” to be able to own them but if you need them for hunting, you’re doing it wrong.

Sneak up on a sounder of 20+ hogs and see how much of a waste of your time it is to only have 10 round magazines.

correct.
A 30 round mag shooting hogs from a helicopter is too small, seems like you are constantly changing mags.

One aspect of making AR's illegal is, who is going to come knocking on your door to take it? The local cops? The FBI? Homeland security? The lefty politicians? I don't think its realistic to think that anyone other than feds would do it, are they going to hire a few thousand door knockers for the ATF? A few will get killed before they get to the door, then what? Are they going to go to martial law?
And, who is going to compensate you for your $1000's of dollars of property they are going to try and take?

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanOriginally Posted By: chzOriginally Posted By: pahntr760It would cause civil unrest and many people would die on both sides of the argument. And I firmly believe that.

I can say that I’m out of my depth when it comes to hunting hogs. Honestly, I was under the impression that a .223 is on the underpowered side for hogs but capable with the right bullets and good shot placement. If you have to sneak up on them, I would assume they run like [beeep] when you start shooting.. If 30 rounds doesn’t seem like enough, what kind of shots are you taking? Do they stick around enough to take decent shots at vitals or are you basically going for any kind of hit as the scurry about? It honestly sounds a lot less like hunting which to me requires meeting certain standards to humanely harvest game (proper caliber, good shot placement, effective range) and more like extermination. I stand by my hunting comment from before but will concede that when it comes to indiscriminate extermination higher capacity mags would indeed be more effective.

I call it "hunting" but yea its more like extermination.
223 worked fine for years but yea i take what i can get. Call it inhumane but the more hits i can get the better. Moved up to 6.8 and usually can get them dead in one hit. Some just wont die.

If you dont kill more than 75% of them in a sounder your wasting your time pretty much.
My best was 24 dead hogs out of a group of 26 and still had one round in the mag. Other times ive burnt 50+ rounds on a sounder of 20 because they run around like crazy.
They are trap smart so our only way to get rid of them is to shoot them at night. Im over 900 kills in the past few years and seems i cant get a hold on them.

Still goes back to any restrictions they want to impose wont fix the problem.
Fine example is the city of Chicago.

Originally Posted By: 6724Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanOriginally Posted By: chzOriginally Posted By: pahntr760It would cause civil unrest and many people would die on both sides of the argument. And I firmly believe that.

correct.
A 30 round mag shooting hogs from a helicopter is too small, seems like you are constantly changing mags.

One aspect of making AR's illegal is, who is going to come knocking on your door to take it? The local cops? The FBI? Homeland security? The lefty politicians? I don't think its realistic to think that anyone other than feds would do it, are they going to hire a few thousand door knockers for the ATF? A few will get killed before they get to the door, then what? Are they going to go to martial law?
And, who is going to compensate you for your $1000's of dollars of property they are going to try and take?

Shooting hogs from a helicopter is not hunting. It’s extermination and again, high capacity mags would clearly be beneficial. Having to change mags constantly would make you less effective. It’s less time aiming down sights and more time for hogs to evade you while you are mid reload. It kind of helps make the point of trying to outlaw high capacity mags in order to help thwart the effectivess of maniacs shooting children in schools and churches.

As far as who is going to come for our guns? Nobody. There are too many and inadequate records to track them all down. The best they could hope for is to try and buy some back at a premium and perhaps outlaw the future sales and private sales of them. Pretty unlikely as well.

Last edited:
there are, at min, 300 million guns in the usa. I think it's actually more than 400 million now.

at least 8 million of them are AR style. more millions of other semi-auto rifles that are not AR's.

detachable magazines? nobody has the slightest idea how many we have but it sure isn't just 1 per rifle.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI still can't find the "need" qualifier in the constitution.

No [beeep]. The point I’m making is that Americans have access to items that the overwhelming majority of citizens cannot justify a single reasonable use for. So far the only two things they have been proven effective for in this discussion is indiscriminate extermination of hogs and humans.

The United States Supreme Court:

“Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose”

-DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ET AL. v. HELLER

It’s only a matter of time before magazine capacity restrictions become federal law and the Supreme Court is not going to side with the NRA. Why? Nobody NEEDS them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chzIt kind of helps make the point of trying to outlaw high capacity mags in order to help thwart the effectivess of maniacs shooting children in schools and churches.

Do you really think school-shooting maniacs mind swapping mags? They're shooting fish in a barrel, so they don't care. Someone bent on killing defenseless people in gun free zones could do comparable damage with a semi-auto or pump shotgun with a bandoleer of 00 buck. Also, and pay real close attention here, they're KILLING people. That's wrong by everyone's count and against the law everywhere. Do you honestly believe that someone who is already planning to violate all kinds of natural and manmade laws is going to care about one more?

Magazine restrictions won't stop school shootings, or even reduce the body count to a significant degree. Nor will they have an impact on other mass shootings. Want to stop this stuff? Improve security. Stop letting the whackjobs in the buildings. Pay attention to what these crazies are saying. Take them seriously when they threaten to come in guns blazing.

You can't stop crime by getting rid of the tool that very, very few criminals use. They'll find other tools, commit other crimes. It's what they do. Driving drunk is illegal, yet thousands are killed by drunk drivers every year. Stabbing someone is illegal, yet hundreds or thousands are killed by knives every year. Drugs are illegal (mostly), yet we're surrounded by their use and negative impacts.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamOriginally Posted By: chzIt kind of helps make the point of trying to outlaw high capacity mags in order to help thwart the effectivess of maniacs shooting children in schools and churches.

Magazine restrictions won't stop school shootings, or even reduce the body count to a significant degree. Nor will they have an impact on other mass shootings.

Any degree is significant when it comes to human life, especially children. You have no idea if it would have an impact. Forcing a shooter to reload every ten rounds absolutely has an impact on how effective they will be. Those reloads give victims at least an opportunity for flight or fight. It would also give responding officers better odds. Think how cumbersome it would be to try and carry hundreds of rounds in ten round mags.

Originally Posted By: chzIt’s only a matter of time before magazine capacity restrictions become federal law and the Supreme Court is not going to side with the NRA. Why? Nobody NEEDS them.
The justification to use deadly force is the same for LE officers and for US citizens. When LE officers retire, they have to abide by the same restrictions as US citizens. I do not see much support by active or retired LE Officers to restrict magazine capacity for self defense.

Originally Posted By: chzForcing a shooter to reload every ten rounds absolutely has an impact on how effective they will be. Those reloads give victims at least an opportunity for flight or fight.
Those extra reloading intervals also give LE officers and US citizens a lesser chance to defend themselves when they have to abide by magazine round restrictions.

Back