Sow Nailed in Backyard

11" Grendel SBR wacks another boar hog at 125 yards, DRT with a 100 grain handloaded Barnes TSX copper bullet.

Grendel%20Boar.JPG

Recovered the Barnes TSX after it passed through his thoracic spine:

Grendel%20100%20Grain%20TSX.jpeg

Just finished three days of night hunting with some close friends.

Equipment used were:

Four helmet mounted GEN III PVS-14s
Three helmet mounted FLIR M-24 640 core thermal scanners
Two FLIR LS64 handheld thermal scanners
FLIR BOSON Breach 320 thermal scanner
Four FLIR T-70 640 Thermal Weapon scopes
1 FLIR PTS-223 320 BOSON Thermal Weapon scope

Dom%20Hog.jpg

Dom%20hog2.JPG

Guy%20hog.JPG

Guy%20Dave.jpg

Boar%20Head.JPG

Took down five hogs at night and had a grand time.

Everyone was using PVS-14s for navigation, FLIR handheld thermal sccanners for detection, and FLIR Thermal Weapon Scopes for targeting.

The FLIR M-324 Pan/Tilt thermal scanner in the UTV did a great job of scanning over 3,000 acres at a large cattle pasture with a major hog problem.

Here are three of the five.

In addition, of four sows, three were gravid with another 18 piglets. Landowner was glad to know they were removed from the property.

Hondini%20Hogs.jpg

Dom%20Hogs.jpg

Hogs.jpg

Hogs2.jpg

Trying to figure out how to post pics again, but we killed 7 when were down near arcadia few weeks back. 2 decent size boars and some sows. Shot one big sow about 225-250 with my NV and 22-250. DRT. We were good bit south of you, but there was for sure a pile of piggies down there

Had a break in the torrential rain from Tropical Storm Alberta late this afternoon, so took Desi for a hike with her Ruger .22 LR target rifle, and she nailed her first hog at age 11 in the eye with one shot!

Desi%20Hog.JPG

Congratulations Ms. Desi, that was an Excellent Shot!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a very nice looking Rifle. I hope you continue to enjoy it and Hunting.

Local upscale Country Club Golf Course has been losing lots of coin repairing their fairways and greens from invasive feral hogs ripping the place up and making the members upset.

So, they gave us a brand new super quiet Yamaha Electric Golf cart with a charger and told us to have at it.

Numerous complaints from the home owners as well as the Club Managment were taken into consideration.

IMG_3711.JPG

IMG_3712.JPG

Took down two nice boars out on the fairways, FLIR T-70 and 6.5MM Grendel SBR put a handloaded Barnes 100gr. TSX through both legs, both lungs, and heart, DRT.

Dom%20Boar.JPG

Golf%20Course%20Dom%20Hog.jpg

Great Work, you'll give them plenty of "HOT LEAD"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate to see all the damage that Hogs are doing.

I can't get out to Hunt now due to the wife having Surgery, and me having the Shingles, so you Guys get all of them that you can.

Get better soon OldMan, in the meantime you can live vicariously through us!

Barnes TSX gets the job done first time everytime, only losing 0.1 grain in the recovered bullets.....

Barnes%20TSX.JPG

This hunt last night that we had been planning for a couple of weeks turned out to be a comedy of errors.

I had been tracking a pack of 500 pound boars for the last month and keep track of when they were showing up at a remote feeder behind the house. Finally decided last night was a good time to ambush them as they have been showing up from 11-2AM pretty regularly, although sometimes later as they are complete night owl usually.

Here are the boars were we after, there is a pack of four of them that hang together:

Big%20Boars.JPG

Headed out in the UTV with the FLIR M-324XP remote thermal camera mounted on the UTV so we could sit and watch the feeder for their arrival.

It was a hot muggy night, had the ThermalCell on keeping the skeets at bay.

Both of us brought out SIG 716s in 7.62X51mm, I was using my handloaded Barnes 130 grain pills and my friend was using his handloaded 150 grain Remington Core-Loc bullets.

So after 45 minutes two thermal signatures are sigted deep in the thick woods, they slowly come out to the feeder.

We are 100 yards out and countdown 3,2,1 and fire. My hog drops in his tracks and my friends hog races directly towards us. I keep waiting for him to fire as he is racing around my side, but nothing happens, so I tried to hit him but missed. I had my ELCAN on 6X instead of 1X and he ran out of my FOV as he got closer and closer...

Check out my friends .308 AR and notice bolt is not in battery and stuck, used my LeatherMan tool to open the bolt and looked like he had not screwed his reloading die all the way into the base and the shoulder had not been completely resized? Gave him a couple of my reloads and chambered properly.

So we decide to wait for the big boars to show up, after another couple of hours nothing shows and we agree to head home around 2AM, then I notice I had forgot to turn off my scope and the batteries are dead.

So, big boars are still out there and we were fortunate that they did not show up since the first time we had a gun jam and the second time we had dead batteries, we will have to plan another hunt with two functioning weapons....

130 grain Barnes went right though the spine:

Boar.jpg

Me and the dead boar:

Me%20Boar.jpg

I am reminded of Keystone Cops.... LOL

Sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men go south when the game makes their appearance. I guess you're not upset about actually missing a shot chance at one of the big boys anyway. They look like some whopperdaddys... LOL

By the way... If that pic is really of you then you haven't been standing very close to your razor lately have you?
wink.gif

Last edited:
Hey SkyPup

It's been a long time. I see you're still after the hogs. Sorry about how you guys missed the opportunity. But I'm sure you're going to get them the next time. Good hunting buddy.

I'm also hunting and I killed lots of big boars lately, I will share some pictures when I have some time .

Back