204 optimal zero for different bullets

000shock

Before i go too far, if theres a better place for this post, by all means let me know. I figured theres more varminters shooting the 204 ruger than any other part of the forum!

I live in western nodak and open terrain is pretty common out here. Getting into the badlands cuts down the distance you have to shoot though. The rifle im shooting is a tc compass (1:10 twist, 22” bbl). I have shot only a little with it so far, but im really happy with its accuracy. 40 gr vmax and 45 gr sp’s grouped sub 1” and the 32 gr vmax was just over that, all out of the box with no break in.

Question i had was about zero for max point blank range. I would really like to manage a zero for all three weights where i wouldnt have to adjust my scope every time i switched rounds. Using the common mpbr calculator, with a 4-5” target and about 1 3/4” high at 100, looks like close to 300 yards would be reasonable. I was just curious if anyone else is shooting different rounds for different game with their 204 and what they use for a zero. Prairie dogs up to coyotes would be the intended game. Thanks for any advice!

If your average shot is 270 yards or so, then 1.75 high at 100 yards is good. You will need a rangefinder and know your wind drift to be successful with that long of shot average. I usually figure my shots are closer to 200 yards so that is my zero. Regardless of caliber 17,20,22. Only your rifles performance when changing bullets will tell you if you can interchange without sight adjustment.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootIf your average shot is 270 yards or so, then 1.75 high at 100 yards is good. You will need a rangefinder and know your wind drift to be successful with that long of shot average. I usually figure my shots are closer to 200 yards so that is my zero. Regardless of caliber 17,20,22. Only your rifles performance when changing bullets will tell you if you can interchange without sight adjustment. I do have a range finder, just need to find it. I will find it before i start any calling however. Coyotes i can be more patient and let them come in if they will. Prairie dogs will be regularly 300ish. On a calm day i shoot pdogs at 300 with my 17hmr however, so 204 should be great.

Just had the 204 out today since my first post. Saw a couple coyotes at 400 or so yards but no shot taken. Checked my zero at 100 and it was about 1 3/4 high with 32’s. Cruised some back roads and spotted one at about 200 out, trotting away from us. First shot was a little ahead of him and off to the races he went! Second was just a little low but still got vitals! At 250 or so there was no exit and he had a nice pelt on him. Prob 25# or so, but healthy. Prob year old i guess? Bro in law is going to see what he can get for it! Happy with the results so far!

Originally Posted By: 000shockOn a calm day i shoot pdogs at 300 with my 17hmr however...
Oh snap! Jan 1st and here come the HMR posts!

I plan on shooting them at 600 plus with my hmr! Oh Bergara HMR that is in 6.5 creedmoor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zr600I plan on shooting them at 600 plus with my hmr! Oh Bergara HMR that is in 6.5 creedmoor. Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: 000shockOn a calm day i shoot pdogs at 300 with my 17hmr however...
Oh snap! Jan 1st and here come the HMR posts! Seems as though that shot is not possible with the 17 hmr i guess. Either of you have any input on my actual question?

Well it's virtually impossible to answer that. I take it they all shoot to the same point at 100 yds? That's quite a feat in and of itself so let out a big hooray for that. If that hurdle is indeed crossed then it's totally a matter of putting up targets at various ranges and finding out. You can run the numbers on Hornady's ballistics calculator to get close.

I take it you're shooting factory ammo? Nothing wrong with that if it shoots good.

End of the day, I would pick a load and go with it instead of jumping back and forth. Learn it and practice and you'll be better off memorizing 1 rather than 3. If it likes the 40's that's probably where I'd go. They have the best bc.

And good job on the long runner, that's a heck of a shot.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARWell it's virtually impossible to answer that. I take it they all shoot to the same point at 100 yds? That's quite a feat in and of itself so let out a big hooray for that. If that hurdle is indeed crossed then it's totally a matter of putting up targets at various ranges and finding out. You can run the numbers on Hornady's ballistics calculator to get close.

I take it you're shooting factory ammo? Nothing wrong with that if it shoots good.

End of the day, I would pick a load and go with it instead of jumping back and forth. Learn it and practice and you'll be better off memorizing 1 rather than 3. If it likes the 40's that's probably where I'd go. They have the best bc.

And good job on the long runner, that's a heck of a shot. At 100 they all were shooting within 1/4” or so of eachother. I realize its not going to be a perfect system switching bullets. Just wondering if/how anyone else is doin it successfully. Yea, i am shooting factory ammo for now. 32 gr vmax is almost always in stock locally, but especially this time of year the 40’s dont last long on the shelf. I found some 45 sp’s but havent ran out yet myself so i havent looked lately. My guess is they are gone also though.

Lol...im gonna chalk that shot up to dumb luck. All in all i have maybe 20 various rounds thru the rifle and havent really worked any to know them well.

Last edited:
If it were me... I'd shoot the 45's because they will buck your ND winds better and have better coyote penetration through their heavy winter fur. Sight it 1-3/4 high at 100 yds and you should be golden... BUT... I'd also aim dead on at 250- 300 yds to see what kind of drops it might have. You have to know what it will do at longer ranges so you can hold accordingly.
I wouldn't shoot 32 gr bullets this time of year... save them for PDs.

Originally Posted By: dan brothersIf it were me... I'd shoot the 45's because they will buck your ND winds better and have better coyote penetration through their heavy winter fur...I wouldn't shoot 32 gr bullets this time of year... save them for PDs. This is actually just what i had in mind. I was also thinking about the wind but i really never thought about the thicker fur during winter. Ill have to get more time to dial it in and play with each round more.

I talked to an ol’ timer a while back that swore by the 32 vmax for coyotes, and i was pretty impressed with how well it did on the one i got. I know hes taken his fair share of fur and i wont discredit his experience by any means. Im just thinkin my faster twist is likely to favor the 40+ vs 32’s. I really want to get some of the 35 and 40 gr hsm ammo also, loaded with bergers. Give them a try since i really havent heard anything bad about them.

My 204 shooting 40 grain Bergers is zeroed at 300 yds. I handload and it will put 5 shots into the size of the base of a hull. Crows don't have much chance out to 340 yards or so. Just hold a little low on the close shots and dead on most of the long shots. A rangefinder is a must way out there beyond 300 yards.

The 40 grain will do the job if placement is right. I had a depredation premit a few years ago for deer and took 27 deer with the 40 grain Berger; most were bang flops. Yes with the 204.

If you want the best accuracy I would try alot of factory ammo and buy a bunch or start handloading. By the way mine has over 1000 rounds down the tube and I can't tell any loss of accuracy. If I miss a few critters I clean the bore good.

God Bless, Louis

Originally Posted By: youngoutdoorsMy 204 shooting 40 grain Bergers is zeroed at 300 yds. I handload and it will put 5 shots into the size of the base of a hull.

you mean like the base of a 12 gauge hull? or about the size of a quarter at 300 yards?

Originally Posted By: 000shock Seems as though that shot is not possible with the 17 hmr i guess. Either of you have any input on my actual question?

with a mere 36" of drop, and 20" of deflection in a 5mph crosswind, 300 yd pdogs should be ez money. not to mention that since its now well below its minimum expansion velocity, and likely starting to wibble quite a bit from the going thru the trans-sonic zone ....

now that my sarcasm is done...

the 17hmr runs out of effective range due to its velocity limitations and bullet design 150 yds.... so you might begin to understand why people are rolling their eyes. unless you've managed to come up with some new 17hmr wizardry nobody's discovered. but yea... you keep doing your thing, cuz nobody here knows what the heck they're talking about
thumbup1.gif

Back