Kirsch 2017 Video 3: Late Season Coyotes

Kirsch

As my 2017 night hunting season will be closing soon, I decided to put together the last 20+ coyote videos. This is #3 in my 3 part series. I plan to put them all together for a Best of 2017 with about 60 of the best kills in the future as well. Thanks for checking out the video.

Video

Thanks for the kind words as they are greatly appreciated. I had a gentleman on YouTube last night tell me there is either something wrong with me or my equipment as my videos are the worst shooting he has seen on YouTube. Kind of makes you wonder why record anything and post it when people want to just rip into you.

Originally Posted By: KirschThanks for the kind words as they are greatly appreciated. I had a gentleman on YouTube last night tell me there is either something wrong with me or my equipment as my videos are the worst shooting he has seen on YouTube. Kind of makes you wonder why record anything and post it when people want to just rip into you.

if you worry one little bit, even for one split second, about what some complete stranger on the internet types about you, your videos, your shooting, your wife, your kids, your dog or anything else,

you probably should not be posting it on internet social media.

it just dont matter man. dont worry about it. i like your videos. hope you keep posting them.

Very cool stuff, thanks for posting it up.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot
if you worry one little bit, even for one split second, about what some complete stranger on the internet types about you, your videos, your shooting, your wife, your kids, your dog or anything else, you probably should not be posting it on internet social media.

it just dont matter man. dont worry about it. i like your videos. hope you keep posting them.
Your comments are exactly what my wife said as well. If you post stuff for everyone to see and allow comments, you have to be ready for the good and the bad. I won't let one person's negative comments stop me. Thanks for the pep talk.

Awesome videos Kirsch! One question I have is that it looks to me like when the trigger is pulled, your cross hairs seem low to me. I was wondering if on some of those shots you are using the first mil dot above the cross hairs or maybe we just have different aiming points? I am not picking on you, it was just something I felt when I was watching. I have just started using thermal and am curious how others use it.
Again great footage!

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76Awesome videos Kirsch! One question I have is that it looks to me like when the trigger is pulled, your cross hairs seem low to me. I was wondering if on some of those shots you are using the first mil dot above the cross hairs or maybe we just have different aiming points? I am not picking on you, it was just something I felt when I was watching. I have just started using thermal and am curious how others use it.
Again great footage!
I agree with you iowayouthunter76. However, I am not using the first mil dot. It is something with thermal and the coyote heat signature that draws my eyes lower on a coyote than I normally shoot. This is my first year with thermal as well. I have shot more than a thousand coyotes during daytime hours. For some reason when using thermal, my natural instinct is to aim lower than I do with a traditional scope. You combine this with the Pulsar Trail known issue of POI shift with temp, and it isn't a good combo. The colder my scope gets, the lower it shoots. The combination of me aiming a bit lower than normal, and my POI typically dropping as temps dropped led to more spinners and poor hits in comparison to what I am used to. No offense taken, either way they were dead coyotes but I had to work a little harder for a few of them or had to shoot twice. My fur buyer noticed when I started using thermal my hits were lower than normal as well. I have to reprogram my brain with thermal to aim higher than it naturally wants to. Looking through the videos, it seems to be more common in videos 1 and 2 than on 3 to me. I have been working on this and trying to tell myself on every stand. Practice doesn't help because it isn't an issue on targets, just coyote heat signatures.

That's very interesting. I was not paying attention to how quick the kills were as much as where the point of aim was. Actually, I have missed my last two shots at coyotes so I was watching to see if there was anything I could or should do different. I have an apex and it seems to hold zero well so I know it's me.

I believe one of the biggest culprits of missing at night can be misjudging distance. A lot of people complain about not knowing how close a coyote is. I am no expert after using this for one season, but I have found for my scope both the size of the coyote in the scope as well as the details help me know about how close it is. On my XQ38, once that I can start to make out the finer details of the coyote such as I can see the different heat variances of the coyote vs it is all black or all white, it is roughly 200 yards or closer.

Originally Posted By: KirschI believe one of the biggest culprits of missing at night can be misjudging distance. A lot of people complain about not knowing how close a coyote is. I am no expert after using this for one season, but I have found for my scope both the size of the coyote in the scope as well as the details help me know about how close it is. On my XQ38, once that I can start to make out the finer details of the coyote such as I can see the different heat variances of the coyote vs it is all black or all white, it is roughly 200 yards or closer.

I agree about judging distance. Everything seems farther with thermal IMO. I've gone back and paced off shots in the day time, or used Google Earth to measure shots, and it's always shorter than what I thought it was in the dark. I missed quite a few coyotes this year just because I held over them thinking they were way out. I should know better by now but it's a mental thing.

I try to zero my scope at 1" inch high at 100.

Thank you for the kind words on the Production. I was planning on more hunter footage as well, but my typical hunting partner has an early morning day job so night hunting is tough for him. This led to me going solo most of the time. Hope to get out 1 or 2 more times this season, and then a long wait until Fall. Just got my first can though, so I can't wait to try it out on coyotes.

Back