Wilson combat super sniper

tjromo84

Whats up everyone. I just got a 20in 1x8 Wilson super sniper and am looking for input on loads to make. I am hoping it will like the 50g vmax. Havent finished break-in yet but it did group 73g superformance well when i busted 3 rounds off in the back yard. Really want to shoot fast, 3300fps or so. Anyone out there have the same barrel?
Thabks

You'll have to start out by working up some test loads for your rifle. If you want to get close to 3300fps, I'd recommend trying the 45 grain Sierra Varminter. I've had good luck wit them in several different rifles. Either IMR 4198 or Hodgdon H4198 would be good options for that bullet weight. Hodgdon H335 could work well, too.

If you're determined to go with the 50 grain V-max, I think you can run IMR 4895 or Hodgdon H4895 with those. As always, work your loads up from published load data. I can't guarantee any of those combinations to work for sure, but hopefully it helps you find what you're looking for.

1-8" twist is a little tight for those lighter bullets moving fast, the velocity might be achieved but accuracy could be bad with those bullets.

Originally Posted By: Rock Knocker1-8" twist is a little tight for those lighter bullets moving fast, the velocity might be achieved but accuracy could be bad with those bullets.

You can make it work. 1:8" is still pretty forgiving. 1:7" would be a different story.

Agreed, but it could take a good amount of fiddling around and different powder testing. I used to have a 24" 1-9 that loved 50 vmaxs with lighter loads of H335.

I wonder how CFE223 would work with these? It can get great velocities but I've seen terrible groups with 53vmax, but I was testing in a 16" 1-8 black hole polygonal barrel. A 20" land and groove would be completely different.

Originally Posted By: tjromo84Whats up everyone. I just got a 20in 1x8 Wilson super sniper and am looking for input on loads to make. I am hoping it will like the 50g vmax. Havent finished break-in yet but it did group 73g superformance well when i busted 3 rounds off in the back yard. Really want to shoot fast, 3300fps or so. Anyone out there have the same barrel?
Thabks

27 grains of 8208 should launch a 50 grain bullet in excess of 3300 fps. from a 20" barrel. try it and report back to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerAgreed, but it could take a good amount of fiddling around and different powder testing. I used to have a 24" 1-9 that loved 50 vmaxs with lighter loads of H335.

Well, I figure that's just the price you pay if you have one specific bullet you really want to shoot. You might end up throwing the kitchen sink at it and still never find a load that makes it shoot exactly the way you want it to. I learned that lesson a long time ago, so I changed my approach. I figure every barrel has a mind of its own, so I try to let it tell me what it really wants.

Still, some people have a specific bullet they want to use. It might take a lot testing with powders and charge weight, but that's just how it goes.

Now, one load I almost always have excellent results with is a 68 grain Hornady BTHP over IMR 4895. I've built a bunch of uppers for friends and family, and that load has worked extremely well in almost all 1:7 , 1:8, and 1:9 barrels I've tried it in. Unfortunately, there's no way to get 3300 fps out of a 68 grain bullet.

Back