To buy or not to buy - 6.5 Grendel barrel from ar stoner

KjBeachy

Any of you have this barrel? Thinking of switching calibers in my ar, and was thinking 6.5 Grendel would be the way to go. I searched midway and found that stoner makes a 6.5 Grendel barrel. The reviews on there were good, but I have found people saying they really didn't like the barrel. However, I have not found any other reviews (besides midway) that are newer than 2016. So has something changed, or are they still not that great?

Thanks,
Kevin

Stoner doesn't make ANY barrels. It's a marketing name like Ted Williams from Sears to give you a false sense of quality. Most times it's low bidder and one batch might be made by XXX and the next by YYY.

I would buy a barrel that at least I know who supplied it. There's a reason the sponsors on here are in business and the bottom line is quality and customer support. The best you'll get out of Midway is a replacement or a refund.

Greg

I've actually had pretty good luck with AR Stoner barrels. Some have required a little work, but most have shot well right out of the box. If you're looking to make a budget rifle, AR Stoner can be a good option. However, if you're looking to build a serious precision rifle, you may be better off going with a quality piece from a known barrel maker.

The barrel really is the heart of your rifle. Buy a good one and never look back. I don't use Midway too often since their prices are not that great and they do not support gun makers and dealers. I get it, their company, their rules, but I don't have to support someone who doesn't support the industry. As far as Stoner barrels, like Greg said, they don't make them. Few companies do. Most of us have barrel manufacturers that we partner with. If you can't find reviews, there might be a reason for that. Go with a reputable company.

AR Stoner barrels are hit and miss. You might get a good one or you might go through a few bad ones to get a good one.
Id rather spend a little more and get a quality barrel.
Loaded some 75gr 223s for my buddys AR Stoner 20" and it took awhile to find a good load and it was barely ok. Took awhile to clean and then it slowly got better but still the best i could get it to do was about 8" 600 yard group.
I spent about $100 more than him and got a AR15Performance 20" barrel and it cleans up fast, found a good load quick and shoots way better than his and more consistent.

Buy once, cry once
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Here's a sterling example of a Stoner 22 Nosler barrel turned by Bear Creek. They won't all be this glaring but in 40+ years of shooting handloads I've never seen a barrel like this.

CBQVGct.jpg

DGAEbAO.jpg

Here's what a bit more change will buy you in the performance and smile department. A 22 Nosler that Ritch built for me.

2MCZmBR.jpg

AgKZhAr.jpg

Greg

PS: I did get my money back

The sr stoner barrels used to and might still be liberty barrels which are saturns button rifled division. I had a fluted 18” ar Stoner barrel and it shot ok.

My 223 barrel shoots very well with anything but FMJ. Never put a handloads thru it but have killed half a dozen coyotes and a fox. I got it for playing around with not hunting.

I think I saw mention they may have been bear Creek barrels? Won't swear to it though. Better barrel options out there, I have a new barrel and bolt available pm me if interested.

That 22 Nosler was without question a Bear Creek barrel. Same roll marks, profile and fluting as they have on their site plus American Rifleman confirmed it in their initial article on the cartridge.

Greg

Back