Anyone use a Canadian belt knife?

Timgunner

I like the looks of the old school Canadian belt knife but I’ve never seen one. I would have bought one by now but they are all made of 440 stainless. I’d like to have one made of S30v but I am not sure if like it. Does anyone have experience with one? If so, How did you like it?

I'll admit that it's a design I just never much cared for. Never liked the looks of it much and so never tried it. I have seen various custom makers do their own interpretation using better steels and heat treat, getting an upgraded custom version would be possible if you really wanted one.

I used to say "I've never seen a Bird and Trout pattern I don't like" until I bought a Grohmann B&T.
I couldn't sell it fast enough.

I bought a "Cold Steel" Canadian Belt Knife in 2016. I've used it to fillet some large northern pike, breasted out a number of ducks and use it in the van for general kitchen knife, it is easy to sharpen and keeps an edge. For $14. it is a pretty nice knife, it looks odd but is comfortable to use.

I thought they were a pretty neat looking knife when I looked at them in the Herters catalog in the 60's, finally broke down and bought one.

I need to break it out to skin a coyote and see how it works. I use a Cold Steel Mini Pendelton for the bodies on coyotes and a Old Timer Locking Trapper for the faces.

It looks like it might make a descent Beaver skinner, I used to use a Green River Skinner on them when I was custom putting up beaver.

Last edited:
I have the cheap Cold Steel version. I think its fine for a skinning blade, but the pointed handle sux for when I wanna pound on it to split a pelvis on a deer! I thought they were a neat looking design, and the jury's out yet overall due to lack of use at this point. The point is a little big for things like caping. I use a gut hook separate for opening up on gutting jobs, but the Canadian may be a bit big there too in the point? Just thoughts thus far.

I picked one up at a flea market for $8.00 cleaned it up and sharpened it and tried it on a deer and was very surprised at how well it worked but not well enough for me to give up my customs ended up given it to fellow with no knife.

Back