54,55,&56

Snowshoes

This morning I left the 223 behind and packed the 223AI. Back to the same area as yesterday but set up 20 yards further east on a higher elevated spot. I noticed the temperature was cooler than yesterday as I followed my well packed snowmobile trail that I made yesterday and what a treat that was!
Minus 4F with a wind-chill of -22F made the soles of my boots squeak with each step in the crisp snow.
After reaching my destination, it was a 20 minute wait before the first coyote came down the trail. A few barks & howls finally stops this coyote and a 172 yard shot has it down.

A half minute passes and here comes another one at a fast pace down the same trail, it suddenly stops when it sees its downed partner. Crosshairs are on its chest, followed with a bullet sent on its way. The coyote drops but is back up and runs 20 or so yards before piling up for good.

Sit for another 15 minutes before deciding to go check out my coyotes. Walk towards the last one shot and notice a coyote at the edge of the trees to the west. I backtrack a few yards and follow a low area to get closer to this coyote. This one is in the exact same area as where I shot a pair yesterday. Follow my tracks from yesterday and slow my approach down as I crest the last knoll. I set up and glass the trees which shows the coyote now laying down. Take a range and get a readout of 206 yards. Touch off a shot and the coyote never gets up.

Walked over and covered the coyote up with snow in order to keep the ravens off it. Forgot to take a picture at that time but did remember when I returned with the snowmobile. Walked back to the first two shot and covered them up also. There was a time I would pull all three out together but I have smartened up since then.
smile.gif

Sorry hit the button too soon. Do the ravens go after the dead coyotes that fast if left uncovered? I hunt at night.
Again congrats.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats on getting another 3 coyotes. And I thought you pulled them out on your skies. HAHA Thanks for the pic and story.
Well there was skis but also a track and motor
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lockrotorSorry hit the button too soon. Do the ravens go after the dead coyotes that fast if left uncovered? I hunt at night.
Again congrats.
They can and when they do, those ravens can mess up a pelt in short order.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamPretty little threesome. Nice job.
What they will do, just to get their picture taken
smile.gif

lockrotor they sure do-I shot a Big Male Coyote two weeks ago around 10am in the field next to my house. He made a few kicks and a Raven was landing by him ready for lunch. The yote was only 140 yds out in the field. I chased the Bird away went and got my coyote--Hard to Believe but seen it happened

svb

Originally Posted By: SVBlockrotor they sure do-I shot a Big Male Coyote two weeks ago around 10am in the field next to my house. He made a few kicks and a Raven was landing by him ready for lunch. The yote was only 140 yds out in the field. I chased the Bird away went and got my coyote--Hard to Believe but seen it happened

svb
About the only thing that would eat a coyote is a raven, Not fussy eaters I guess
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Darrel WytonThanks for sharing. They all look like keepers.
Thank you Darrel, and yes, all three made it to my shed.

Back