Keep Trying...

onemanmoshpit

To date I only have one coyote under my belt. Though I was out coyote calling when I killed her, I am not certain she was actually coming to the call. So after a couple years of not bothering with it I decide to get back into trying this year. Really wanted a fox, but the season ended without me being able to pull the trigger. Back to coyotes then.

I gained access at a few new places and decided to give one a try yesterday evening, as the weather was perfect (clear, crisp but no frigid, and NO wind). I had never even set foot on the ground so I was going in blind and set up along an island of brush and trees with hay bales and was watching some rolling hills to the south with about 300yds visibility. Began with coyote vocals and some pup distress but nothing showed. After about 20 minutes I had a response! It was a (to my best estimate) a challenge bark/scream that came from the East, which is the direction I almost decided to watch. I switched to a challenge howl and coyote pair followed by pup then rabbit distress but nothing showed.

Now the sun was well below the hill so I decided to pack up, but walk around this island to see what the rest of the field looked like. I got on the east side of the island and in the woodlot that bordered the seasonal road I drove up a coyote started sounding off (sounded just like female challenge howls on FOXPRO). I laid down and set the caller back out and tried to respond with fem challenge howl followed by pup distress but all she would do is stay in the woods and bark/howl. Then the yotes that were up to the east started in again. There were probably 2 or 3 up there, but one was very vocal and would keep barking and howling. I tried to get even a glimpse of one in the edge of the field but I lost daylight and didn't have my night hunting setups. None the less it was a great experience, hopefully didn't educate that group and will be back next week sometime to try again.

side note- hopefully the ice on this seasonal road is thawed by the next time I go out, because helplessly sliding down a hill with my 4x4 Tacoma was not fun, how I avoided the ditch/trees is still beyond me

Last edited:
Welcome to Predator Masters ! Hang around you will learn a lot from these guys ! Use this up near top of page : The Official Predator Masters Search Engine. Type in what you want to learn about & read read read ! There is much for you to learn about Wiley !

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickWelcome to Predator Masters ! Hang around you will learn a lot from these guys ! Use this up near top of page : The Official Predator Masters Search Engine. Type in what you want to learn about & read read read ! There is much for you to learn about Wiley !

I used it a while ago and I think I read every single thread about .22 mag fo a fox cartridge, lots of great info in there!

I used it a while ago and I think I read every single thread about .22 mag fo a fox cartridge, lots of great info in there! [/quote]

I have killed quiet a few fox with the 33 gr ACCUTIP by Remington. They are very accurate and bang flop the foxes for me.

Good hunt. At least you know they’re around. My experience with hunting fields, is that coyotes generally will not enter them during daylight. There are exceptions though. Small Fields that are a ways back off the rd and surrounded by cover seem to be the best. It also helps if there’s cover leading into the field, to help lure them out into the open.

Hard edges where it goes from straight cover to wide open is tough. Look for transitions where it goes from thick to gradually open enough for shot opportunities.. It seems counter productive that more cover will equate to more shot opportunities, but the difference is a coyote hung up 300 yds out of sight, versus a coyote slipping in at 75yds with opportunities to shoot.

good luck next time out.

Back