Night vision scanner

Indiyote

So I'm looking to get into the night vision game. Leaning towards a photon scope but was wondering what you all are using for scanning. Not looking to spend big $. Something like the Bushnell z equinox be good enough for scanning?

I have a 4.5 equinox and it works surprisingly well. It isn't as good as thermal of course but it does have some good features for a really good price. It has a strong onboard IR light that will allow you to see at least a couple of hundred yards. It sees in color in the daytime, and has zoom 3 times as well so it goes incremental zoom up to 13.5 which is pretty pixelated, but 9 isn't too bad. It also had onboard recording with micro sd card up to 32 gig.

I use mine mainly on my bait pile here at the house. I don't think you can beat it for the money. I think I paid about $175 for mine from Amazon back in December.

The Equinox works great for a bait site or Hog hunting, and adds a lot of capability for minimal cost. But, I don’t care for it when calling predators and constant scanning is required. The field of view is smaller than I like and I’m afraid I’ll miss something. Also, you have to scan more slowly than when using a light because of the computer processor speed. You have to move slow otherwise the image isn’t clear. It’s also kind of a pain to hold it to your eye for the entire stand. I still scan with a light and shoot with the Photon.

Most prefer something like the HD19a or its replacement. Wide field of view and small enough to be helmet mounted for hands free operation. But,it costs 10x or more that of the Equinox.

HD19A or somewhat more expensive XD19A. Can't be beat for scanning. You can pick up so much with these. Thermal is a HUGE game changer for coyote hunting, primarily on the scanning side. Once you pick them up then you know where to go with your scope whether it be NV or thermal. You can get by with a lot less money on a scope if you know where they are. Many threads on how good they are and have been here.

Yeah I don't hunt over bait, just call. That's a LOT of coin though for the higher end thermals, although worth it I'm sure. After I get my photon I will have to start saving up. Maybe I can find a used/refurbished one hopefully.

Back