Baiting

The buffet I put out a week ago on the 200 yd spot paid dividends this morning. 6:45 this morning standing in fresh powder checking the bait..... 243 Win 80 gr. jacketed soft point BANG FLOP. Female... nothing special... avg. size for my area. Tracks telling me there are a few more to go. After having 2 slow winters this is not turning out so bad.

Outstanding dog driller!!! I love those 150-200 yd bait site shots!! Would love to see pics!!! What are you shooting for a .243. Running 58 vmax through my Ruger American Predator with two BANG FLOPs on that. Good Work!!!!!!

6mm, just reading back through some posts, and a thought on your gas block pic rail. My RRA Coyote has a gas block with pic rail, however, really designed for a front sight post to mounted if needed. Be careful mounting offsets and lots of weight, it may affect your POI and such with the barrel harmonics. Just a thought. Keep us posted on your progress with the new scope. Can't wait for pics!!! I'm still toying around with the Xsight idea as well, so reading with interest!!

Good work DD. 200 yards is practically in the next county compared to where I shoot at 60.

Thank's Baitpile for the information. Actually I have been using an offset and IR mount for a while now and haven't noticed any issues. POI has been good and I dropped a few coyotes with the rifle set up that way. Of course I have only used it at closer ranges, maybe 80 yards max.

I am liking the X-Sight so far but haven't tried it at night yet. I hope it gathers light well. I have it mounted on my AR and have just been playing around with and learning the menu. I don't like the short eye relief, however. I understand that the new K4 models have a longer eye relief and much better battery life.

Good deal 6!!! Get out to the cabin now for some night time action!!!
thumbup.gif

All these pretty guns and scopes. Awesome gear guys. Killed another Tuesday night and got lucky again last night. Last nights yote had a white tip on his tail. Had a scent marker out and he was just rolling his butt off. Had to wait forever for him to quit moving. Ruger RAR target 22mag. Keep killin !

Good Job YG!!! You definitely have the coyotes in your area!!! What kind of range are you killing these yotes at? How does the .22 mag perform at range and what kind of terminal performance are you seeing?? I've wanted to kill a coyote with the .22 mag...but none close enough.

6mm06 I hope you get something soon so we can have a report.
My 200 yds distance in the dark was difficult on a night with good moonlight I could see but not with cross hairs. Moving bait closer made huge difference for my operation, hence my 44 #'r the other week. My bait at 200 currently is a frozen mass beef trimmings I got from a butcher friend. It took a week for them to finally hit it after walking by it.
BP... 243 is a Savage, I am really liking these winchesters. It might also be that I am hitting them high in the shoulder area .....hammering them lights out when I hit them with 80 gr. I do have some 58 gr Vmax that I have not tried. Probably going to be a while before I try them. I hate to mess with something when it is working. On the closer bait will probably use 223 with 53 gr v max since those have been great with BANG FLOP effect out to 125 yds. for my shots so far.
Tonight I got home from work and not long after that .....coyotes howling not far away...daylight cant come quick enough now.
Good luck to ALL.

Originally Posted By: yotegutsAll these pretty guns and scopes. Awesome gear guys. Killed another Tuesday night and got lucky again last night. Last nights yote had a white tip on his tail. Had a scent marker out and he was just rolling his butt off. Had to wait forever for him to quit moving. Ruger RAR target 22mag. Keep killin !

Congrats yoteguts on the fur. Did you get any pics of the carnage?

so what's everyone using to post pics now that photobucket screwed everyone? I've tried several apps on my phone so far and none seem to work.

havnt been on here in a while but so far this winter I've killed 6 Coyotes, 2 fox and had 3 runners on my bait pile....

Flickr for me deerslyr1. Works pretty good, however, I'm on a desktop. Good job on the fur!!! Figure out those pics so we can take a peek!

Originally Posted By: deerslyr1so what's everyone using to post pics now that photobucket screwed everyone? I've tried several apps on my phone so far and none seem to work.

havnt been on here in a while but so far this winter I've killed 6 Coyotes, 2 fox and had 3 runners on my bait pile....

I am using IMGUR, but I'm on a laptop ...

ya ....ive tried Flickr, imgur,Dropbox and a few others none seem to be android friendly. havnt tried via lap too [beeep].....only use mine at work lol

A quick question, anybody bait with puppy chow? I'm considering using the corn feeder that we use for deer in the fall, switching to puppy chow for predators in the winter and summer. The timer will trigger the food supply everyday at the same time, no need to bring scent in except to check on the feed level, small amounts should only have to replenish once a month or so like we do with the corn.

I baited them with dry dog food and even had them eating out of a cut off 5 gal. bucket, so I'm sure it would work with a dispensing timer. It won't get maggot infested like other bait can in warm or hot weather.

MDGC0092 by Double Up, on Flickr

MDGC0003 by Double Up, on Flickr

Last edited:
FINALLY!!!! My First Recorded Coyote Sighting!!
Living in an area where coyote sightings come few and far between and make for chatter news, I got my first videos of a coyote at one of my bait stations last Monday night. 20 videos to be exact.
It appeared at 7:40pm and stayed on the bait until 9:30pm. It has an injured right front foot so I'm guessing it may not be so able to hunt and took advantage of free food. I've been waiting for this event for many years and it finally happened....NOW, the hope of actually having it return and me being in the same place can be another story. I have been schooled well by a lot of you baiters on here, just have to see if I can follow through. Totally stoked about this sighting though, even if nothing else materializes.
I hunted this stand last night, before I viewed the SD card on my camera. Had a Red come in at 6:30 and the rest of the evening was quiet until 9:30 when I left.
Video of coyote:

Last edited:
Very nice GG. Looks like it might have escaped from a leg hold trap. I expect it will be back, so good luck on your first opportunity.

Hey, that's great Gobbler. Hopefully he will continue visiting. I know the feeling about being stoked. Coyotes have a way of making my heart pound a little faster. My coyote has a left front paw missing. Looks like between us we have a matching pair. I am one up on you though - I have one that is blind in his left eye. Now if only I can find more time to hunt.

Good luck on that one.

Hi DannyK, haven't seen you in a while.

Back