Heavyweight 223 build?

ThatguySHM

So I just ordered a side charging upper and BCG, plan on putting a heavy barrel on it in 223. I usually set up rifles close to the lands, but I don't shoot my ARs that much. I have a very light weight 556 that I keep near the bed, I might put a mag a year through it. Several 6.8s and a 338 Federal for big bore.

I'm looking at putting together a 24" bull barreled rifle for fun with this upper, mainly will be shooting 50-60 grain bullets with this. Fulton Armory has 12 twist barrels, and DPMS has 9 twist, or I can order an X Caliber 9 twist in 5R.

Any inputs? Thanks everyone.
SHM

I generally shoot the 60s in the 22-250, have a decent stock pile of 52-55gr(3-4k), maybe 1k in 40gr, only reason I thought maybe 12 twist, but they don't shoot bad in my 9twist Remmy, so maybe I should just be smart and get the 9.

A 22-250 velocity can make up for a slow twist to a certain extent. That 223 won't have the horsepower to drive it that hard.

Greg

24 inch barrels are over gassed in general.

I have one with 1/9 and love it! It will never be for sale.

If i was going to buy a custom barrel though... I would go with a 20 inch'er with a bolt head spaced to that extension. And hopefully the chamber would be a Bill Wylde design or smaller. A monster bull barrel is not needed for extreme accuracy.

It seems if you were looking for nose bleed velocities you would just shoot your 22-250?

if you're gonna go witha 24" bull... be warned that there's a solid chance your gun is going to feel nose heavy - especailly if you put a can on it.

from a rest, or other stupported position you wont notice it, but if you plan to walk around with it... you'll feel it.

i've got a 24" bull .204 and while its a helluva shooter, without the can its almost over balanced weight forward, and with the can i have trouble supporting it to shoot it free handed well.

my bull barrel 223 i built last year is a 1:7 twist 20" WOA varmint. i'm getting 2750 fps with 75's, 2979 with 68's and 3260 with 55's. more than enough gusto to do with it what i want
smile.gif
and its still manageable weight wise both unsuppressed and suppressed.

and boy is she a shooter - out at my cousins this summer we were dusting charcoal briquette's at 180+ in the pasture out back of his house.

i just picked up a bushmaster varminter upper, i was worried it was gonna be too heavy and i dont feel that it is. was actually surprised at the weight, doesnt feel barrel heavy to me.

I kept the scope small, 3-9 Leupold Compact.

I have a gen1 Magpul PRS sitting on the safe without a home, it will definitely help make her feel a bit more grounded on the back end. I'm still tossed up between 24 and 20". The SPS makes 2850 with the 70 Nosler RDF and I'm not pushing it hard at all in the 20".

Back