Electric mountain bike?

k9jones

Does anybody use an electric bike to hunt with. I would think it would allow me to make several extra stands each outing. Nice an quiet. I'm looking at the quietkat fat bike or the Rambo. Does anybody have any info on these two brands. I think a 750 watt model should be the way to go, because of game land restrictions. If you have one what is the good and bad of the bike?

I don’t have one but posting for interest. The thought has definitely crossed my mind. I currently have a Polaris Ranger EV LiI Ion and thought a bike would be great.

Last edited:
I have ridden the electric-assist bike made by specialized and it is amazing. One very important thing to consider is that they are absolutely forbidden on any closed Forest service Roads. The USFS considers them a vehicle just like a car or truck.

Originally Posted By: jcs271I have ridden the electric-assist bike made by specialized and it is amazing. One very important thing to consider is that they are absolutely forbidden on any closed Forest service Roads. The USFS considers them a vehicle just like a car or truck.

This is true and as a complete misinterpretation many USFS employees have tried to cite me in the wheelchair and or powerchair. Which are both under the 2HP rule.
Several have been given the option of finding other employment. Some long stories on this stuff.

I have researched the matter about federal and local gamelands, and what I have learned is that you would need to contact the specific public lands that you are planning on attending. I contacted a local National Refuge manager and she advised me that each Refuge will have it's own rules regarding a electric pedal assist bike. I also asked a N.C. Wildlife Sgt. and he stated that it would be okay on the state gamelands. I've spent several hours researching this issue, and what I have seen is that 750 Watts would be okay on several areas but anything over 750 watts would be defined as a motorized bike. I can't remember the actual federal government agency's name (something like National Highway Traffic Safety Agency) they define a motorized vehicle as anything over 750 watts.

These bikes are fairly new technology to the US and most legislation regarding them are unclear.

I really hope that somebody will chime in that has an electric assist bike and can give their experiences.

Pa has a 300 watt limit which is less than half a horse power,almost useless.i don't use a e bike,but I do use a me bike where I am the engine.i get miles back.

Nice pictures. I got the 750 fatcat. It is a lot of money, but so far I love the bike. Takes me places quickly and quietly.

Originally Posted By: madcatterPa has a 300 watt limit which is less than half a horse power,almost useless.

Can you tell me where I can find that info.. My understanding on SGL no motorized vehicle of any kind except HC .. Dan

Last edited:
I know guys here beating the no license 50cc moped legal limit by boring it to a larger cc. Looks the same with much more power.
I'd bet the electric models can be swapped with a larger motor and have the smaller rating tag.
Old tricks from the beginning of the mechanical era.
Most Feds or wannabe's know far less about this stuff than what they had for breakfast three days ago. I have experienced unbelievable ignorance with more apologies than I can count.
Just know the rules yourself.

Originally Posted By: tripod3I know guys here beating the no license 50cc moped legal limit by boring it to a larger cc. Looks the same with much more power.
I'd bet the electric models can be swapped with a larger motor and have the smaller rating tag.
Old tricks from the beginning of the mechanical era.
Most Feds or wannabe's know far less about this stuff than what they had for breakfast three days ago. I have experienced unbelievable ignorance with more apologies than I can count.
Just know the rules yourself.

Sounds like the guys "beating the rules" are the ignorant ones. The rules are such so as to keep public lands from becoming a public mudpit from those who would only wish to ride easier, and not "stress" themselves walking. As mentioned above, handicapped persons are another story in my book - truly handicapped persons. While I personally carry more metal in my body for permanent repairs than most people dream of, I strive to remain mobile independently. Just this year, I had the opportunity to hunt a public land area where we accessed by a driveable, but gated road. It is posted as open to folks with a handicapped permit, but those rules state only the handicapped person can access it via powered vehicle. All others, including helpers of the handicapped person, cannot use the vehicle under power. A buddy and I went scouting a couple times, and hunted it a few. Saw multiple vehicles with multiple people in them, and didnt see a handicapped tag anywhere. Turned some in too. It has become where the enforcement guys cant keep up with the violations. Ridiculous. Realize in PA we have the largest hunting population in the country per acre available to hunt. And our public lands gt hammered in spots by mt bikers, illegal ATV's, etc. Too much easy access back in the boonies ruins the "back in" for those who work for it.

I can see legal utility in these electric bike, and at least they're quiet. Way too expensive for me at this point in my life, and I'll walk or pedal, thanx. At least they are quiet.

I bought an electric fat bike "Sondors" only 300 watt. Bought the up grade screen which gives pedal assist. Can get in a half a mile in under 4 minutes with very little effort pedaling. Bought this bike on their 2017 program for $753 shipped to my house. I had to put it together, took about 45 minutes. I have went over 15 miles on a charge and stil had power. That's about 15 stands on average for me. Wish I would of had one years ago.

You want to talk a lot of money, I have a Polaris Ranger EV LiIon. Paid 23K for it. I'm actually thinking of selling it and getting an electric bike. A lot less $$, easier to store, and easier to hide when on stand. With the ATV, it's just like a smaller truck. You still have to find somewhere to hide it. With the bike, it'd be easy to lay down? or throw a camo cover sheet over it while on stand.

I have Rough and Tuff electric 4X4. Haven't used it since I bought the e-bike. Had to take it on a trailer load and unload. Bike is so much easier and with the pedal assist I get some exercise. That what I tell my wife anyway. lol

Last edited:
Update. I purchase a 750 Quietkat fatcat bike and love it. It is exactly what I needed. I can make twice the stands with this bike. I am experimenting with strapping a climber tree stand on back. I haven't got my design just right but know it can be done. I think it will be a game changer.

Back