A few more bobcats...tagged out for the 2017-2018 season

Switch

Hoping to fill my fifth and final CA bobcat tag, I headed out with my buddy Jose to do a little night time calling. I usually do most of the calling and lighting on the night hunting trips, jumping on the rifle when my friends have already put fur on the ground. Jose had made it clear on this trip that I was to remain on the rifle until I knocked down cat number 5. A good buddy!

With Jose on the light and me on the Dan Thompson call, we had a couple of peekers at stand number two, but they never presented a shot.

A few stands later we set up overlooking some amazing new territory. The dark moon had us calling in near pitch black conditions. After the second series of calls, Jose signaled to me that we had a visitor. I eased over under the light and found the glowing set of eyes in the scope. The bobcat had come in and was quartering towards us 150-yards out. One shot from the Ruger .204 and my fifth cat was on the ground.

Cat number 5 and my lucky bobcat bomber hat.

Nice coloration on this cat

Jose and I switched positions and we kept calling. This was some new calling area for us and it looked amazing. We parked at the top of this small hill overlooking a huge dry drainage. After fifteen minutes of calling with no customers, I was just about to end the stand when I spotted a set of bouncing eyes coming in fast. This cat covered 150-yards quickly and didn't seem interested in stopping at all. I did a loud lip squeak and the cat stopped at 100-yards and Jose dropped it with a perfect chest shot from the CZ 204. Our second cat of the night and Jose's third for the season was tagged and put in the truck.

One of the fuzziest cats I've seen in a while

A good night hunt so far.

We were done for the evening and headed out of the canyon when I spotted a flash of eyes in the headlights on the two-track. I pulled off and turned the lights out. We quietly got out and I started calling. A coyote came racing in and after having a tough time seeing him, Jose dropped the coyote with a nice 175-yard shot to end the evening.

Bonus coyote

The next day we hit the skinning tree to clean up the cats.

Even though I'm done for the season, My daughter Alyssa wants to head back out tomorrow to try and fill a cat tag. When she asks to go, I take her! Wish us luck!

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now.

Good luck Alyssa!

Congratulations Tim on filling out your 5 bobcat tags!

Great pictures too!

I checked two trail cameras today and I got almost as many bobcat pictures as I got coyote pictures.

Originally Posted By: adktripperwell done! what kind of light are you using?

We mostly run a lightforce halogen, but I also have a couple of Kill Lights by Wildlife Technology and I just picked up a Wicked Hunting Light with three-color LED option. I used it for the last half of this trip and I really like it.

Back