Baiting

Yote and Baitpile, congrats to both.

I have had 3 different coyotes coming to my site lately, and between bad weather, work and family I haven't been able to hunt. I need to get the new X-Sight tuned and into action.

Thanks guys!!! 6mm and weekender...it sounds like both of you have coyotes just begging to be shot. Schedules and such do dictate!!! Stay after em...will be patiently waiting on pics and video!!!

I think I might have to go up there and help 6mm out while he's working so hard.
smile.gif

BP, nice work, but it sure looks cold out there.

Yeah DoubleUp, I probably could use some help. The fish are jumping so to speak. Today I checked the trail camera which revealed that Lefty returned on the 6th and 8th after 7:00 PM both nights, and Brissle-Back on the 10th just after sunup. Lefty is very scared of the trail camera and doesn't linger much at all, only enough for a quick video or two. I don't think he likes the red glow. I need a non-glow camera. Of course if I did have time to hunt it would have been luck of the draw whether or not I would have been at the cabin at those times. Baiting is not a piece of cake like some think.

DU...not too bad on the cold. Going to about 6* tonight with -3* windchills. Keeps the coyotes on their feet.
6mm...the no glow cameras are the ticket for coyotes. My boy just had to have one "because the coyotes are seeing the red glow". So, he got one...and what a difference!!! Not one pic or video do you see even a hint of worry in the coyote!! They don't even know its there. We are running the Bushnells and have had good luck with them. Now...get out to the cabin!!

Congrats yg and bp. BP did you weigh that critter looks like a nice one. 6mm06 I hear on the working, been a loooong work week here thank goodness for Friday.
At 11:18 Thursday morning dropped a male coyote off the bait. Hammered it with 243 at 123 yards. BANG FLOP still biting on the rib cage when I went to retrieve it.Had to yank his teeth off the bait. Happened so fast never twitched, it was about as instant as I have ever had happen. Nice to get one of those once in a while. Sorry no pics with this one ......I will say it had the beginnings of mange. 2nd mange this year. I hope to get out and do some calling this weekend. Got a spot all picked out, hopefully the temps stay moderate.

dd, I haven't weighed any of the coyotes we shoot...don't know why really. I think my kid was screwing around with one on a 28 lbs fish scale once this year, and the coyote pegged it. I would guess all are around the 30 poundish weight. Some more maybe.

DD, Truly a "Last Supper" for that coyote. Congrats!
BP, Very nice yote and it does appear extra large. Have to agree on the no-glow cameras. That's all I use now but in the Moultrie brand.
6mm, Spot on! Baiting is a lot of work and commitment, especially trying to maintain 4 stations. Still wouldn't trade it for love nor money. Have to ask, has the new scope made it on to the gun yet?
Keep after 'em everybody!

Gobbler, yes the new scope is mounted to my 6x45 AR but haven't sighted it yet due to pouring rain lately. I also added a small PNY 2600 miliamp battery via 30mm scope ring and attached to the scope's picatinny. Yesterday I tested the battery to see how long it will power the scope. It went 4 hours and 15 minutes and still showed one bar of charge left (it has 4 bars when fully charged). I had geotag and ballistic calculator turned off. Just put the rifle on the bed and let it run. Those little batteries are $7.00 on Ebay. I ordered a second one.

Good deal! I hear you on the rain issue - it's been relentless. The battery sounds like it will work well. Did you happen to have RAV on while testing it? I believe the unit constantly buffers video when set. Not sure how much juice that uses. ?
Where will your IR be?

Gobbler, I had everything turned off. Just the scope for normal shooting was on. I'm sure RAV may affect the battery charge, ballistic calculator too and all the others. I don't have need for geotag and compass. Basic shooting with video and an occasional use of ballistic calculator will most likely be all I will use. I may at some point play around with wifi too but won't use it much I think.

As to mounting the IR light, my AR has a picatinny on the gas block, so I have an offset mount that allows the light to mount to the side.

One note about ATN: Yesterday I phoned and spoke with two ATN reps. The first one and I got cut off for some reason, so I phoned again and spoke with a different guy. The second one is sending me another sun shade for the X-Sight at no cost. I pushed my luck a bit and asked for two. I think he is sending two, so now I will see if it works well, hopefully threading the two together will give a good extension in order to allow the scope to see through the foam and out the cabin window.

Then, the first guy I got cut off from phoned back and left a message that he is willing to help with the sun shade. Both times I phoned I was able to speak to someone within seconds of my call when I pressed the button for customer service. Both guys were very cordial. Looks like customer service has improved quite a bit, probably from all the negative customer service reports on the Internet for a few years. As well, if I understand correctly from the shot show review of the new K4 scope, ATN has a new CEO. Hopefully he has straightened things out. If so then their products may become more desirable.

Greetings all. In recent posts on the .223, I had mentioned a Rem 700 .223 that I tweaked out a bit just because I enjoy fiddling with rifles. It is a tack driver and I liked the way it turned out. Anyway, the last 2 coyotes I shot were with a new Remington 700 .22-250 ADL. I bought that rifle as well to build up like the .223 that I did...just because:). It is done and turned out nice as well. It is shooting 3/4" MOA right now and may improve with barrel break in. But definitely working on the coyotes for sure right now. Just thought I would share.

R700 .22-250 build by jrhranch, on Flickr

Lots of fun!!! Keep killing em guys!!

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Gobbler, I had everything turned off. Just the scope for normal shooting was on. I'm sure RAV may affect the battery charge, ballistic calculator too and all the others. I don't have need for geotag and compass. Basic shooting with video and an occasional use of ballistic calculator will most likely be all I will use. I may at some point play around with wifi too but won't use it much I think.

As to mounting the IR light, my AR has a picatinny on the gas block, so I have an offset mount that allows the light to mount to the side.

One note about ATN: Yesterday I phoned and spoke with two ATN reps. The first one and I got cut off for some reason, so I phoned again and spoke with a different guy. The second one is sending me another sun shade for the X-Sight at no cost. I pushed my luck a bit and asked for two. I think he is sending two, so now I will see if it works well, hopefully threading the two together will give a good extension in order to allow the scope to see through the foam and out the cabin window.

Then, the first guy I got cut off from phoned back and left a message that he is willing to help with the sun shade. Both times I phoned I was able to speak to someone within seconds of my call when I pressed the button for customer service. Both guys were very cordial. Looks like customer service has improved quite a bit, probably from all the negative customer service reports on the Internet for a few years. As well, if I understand correctly from the shot show review of the new K4 scope, ATN has a new CEO. Hopefully he has straightened things out. If so then their products may become more desirable.

I like the idea of moving the IR forward and not on the scope rail. I just may try that. Thanks!

*** 6mm- I found that battery you were talking about on eBay. Bid on it through an auction. Brand New battery, got it for .99 + 3.95 shipping. USA seller. Still chuckling on that one!

Yup, every time I have called CS at ATN they have been super helpful. Glad to hear you have had the same experience thus far.
BP - sharp looking gun you got there. Hitting the mark is what counts!

Last edited:

Nice looking rifle, Baitpile. What stock do you have on that one?

Gobbler, you certainly beat the price I paid for my battery. I think having two or three of those little ones should give all the power I would need for a reasonable night of hunting.

6mm, usually I'm not that lucky winning eBay auctions. Most the time I get out bid. I try anyway.
I like your idea of placing the little battery alongside the scope. The battery that came with my scope sits in a saddle bag strapped to the stock. Works just ok, except occasionally when I raise the gun to my shoulder it gets caught up in my hunting coat. Hunting close, I need things to be as quiet and smooth as possible.

I purchased a 16,000 miliamp battery and a stock pouch, but the pouch raises my cheek / eye position too high for comfort and good view.. I could use it but don't like it. That's why I wanted to try the smaller battery.

Back