HTRN Field Review of Flir/Armasight Zeus 3x24x75 (640x512) Thermal Riflescope

HTRN57

Members,

Here is the YouTube link to our field review of the Flir/Armasight Zeus. This model has a core optical magnification of 3x and can be zoomed 2x,4x,8x effectively making it a 3x,6x,12x, and 24x rifle scope. It has a 75mm objective lens and uses the 640/512 Flir Tau II microbolometer.

Field Review link:

HTRN Website Product Link: http://www.hightechredneckincorporated.com/product-p/nvtd500.htm

Thanks for watching, Kevin

Kevin, that's a very good looking scope. The clarity is nice and I like the base mag of 3x. Thanks for yet another good product review.

With the large lens it has a tiny FOV and very difficult to zero in close up or make a follow up shot at night at close ranges, it is a scope primarily for long range in open areas. Works superb for those long range applications but is almost useless for close up work. I love using it in open fields at longer ranges but kinda sux for anything less than 100 yards.

Not true, I am here on PM and I have used it quite a bit, and it is terrible for close up work.

Like I said, it is primarily a long range instrument >100 yards due to the FOV limitations, which are not particular to this nice scope, but are particular to any nice long range scope with a lens over 50mm.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupNot true, I am here on PM and I have used it quite a bit, and it is terrible for close up work.

Like I said, it is primarily a long range instrument >100 yards due to the FOV limitations, which are not particular to this nice scope, but are particular to any nice long range scope with a lens over 50mm.

Simply put I disagree.

Not a problem,you are welcome to disagree agree on how I use this nice long range scope at night, however it is always more difficult to utilize any higher magnification scope with a smaller FOV at close ranges due to the small FOV it provides.

For that I like native magnification and smaller objective lenses such a 1 or 2X and < 50mm lenses. For me, any objective lens over 50mm and any native magnification over 1-2X are primarily designed for long ranges.

Like I said, it is a great long range scope for me, but difficult to use

BTW, I also am using the ARMASIGHT Zeus-Pro 640 4-32x100 with the FLIR TAU2 core and it is also a terrific long range scope but sux even more for

Kevin, have you done any testing with the lower cost 336 core models? Would be good to have a comparison.

I looked at these seriously but was concerned about limited battery life in subzero weather. I see they make an extended battery pack for something like $200?

Originally Posted By: old catOriginally Posted By: SkyPupNot true, I am here on PM and I have used it quite a bit, and it is terrible for close up work.

Simply put I disagree.

I would have to agree with you Old Cat. At 3x there is plenty FOV for shots inside of 100 yards. However, if you hunt in areas at night where shots are mostly inside of 100 yards you should save yourself a lot of cash and purchase something similar to the Flir Thermosight Pro PTS233. However, if your average shots are in excess of 100 yards (like here in IL) and you have an occasional one inside of that this scope will work perfectly for that. It does not have a tiny FOV.....the video speaks for itself. Kevin

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Kevin, have you done any testing with the lower cost 336 core models? Would be good to have a comparison.

6mm06,

I hope to have more reviews up on YouTube this summer. These reviews take quite a bit of time to put together so hopefully you guys find them useful in making your purchase decisions. Kevin

Originally Posted By: DarknightI looked at these seriously but was concerned about limited battery life in subzero weather. I see they make an extended battery pack for something like $200?

From customer feedback, lithium batteries will get you about 2 hours continuous use in cold weather. Rechargeables and Alkaline are less than that, maybe an hour or less. The 4 hour advertised life is probably at room temperature or is overstated. The external battery pack from Flir lists at $325 and advertises up to 8 hours of continuous use. Again, I would assume that is at room temperatures and probably closer to 4 hours in cold temps. Other members can chime in if they have had experience with this battery pack under cold conditions. Kevin

Back