Oh the choices...

Rij Martin

Hey hunters!

I am new here but am stoked to get into coyote hunting. I have been doing some research on coyote hunting and think I am ready to make the purchase of my first hand call. From what I have read, the closed reed calls are easier to use but you can't get the sound variety out of them like a open reed call. I have also read lots suggesting that the custom calls you can buy from some of the members here are much much better quality than any you could buy at a store. So my question is what call should I look into getting? (I'm still in high school so a reasonable price would be prefered
thumbup.gif
) What has been the most successful for you folks? I am currently leaning towards an open reed custom call, but what's the opinion of the practiced caller? I am located in Southern Utah and don't plan on veering to far away.

Thanks in advance!

Surf around in the Custom Calls for sale Forum. I'm sure you will find something there that will work. Plus many helpful people.
Best regards, Rudy

I’ve got one from Rudy- bad to the bone- right above this. It is sweet! Called 16 coyotes and 3 wolves only legal to shoot 1 of the coyotes though, the rest were Montana and at the bison range. Super easy to make good sounds and covers all ranges. Cheaper then a production call and WAY WAY better quality. Check out the custom coco thread below.

My girlfriend just surprised me with one from bitterroot calls. Pretty sure tjones is what he goes by out of Hamilton MT. It’s a wee little guy but fits the hand perfect and is tuned so if I just shoved it in my mouth and blew it will make a perfect jack sound. I can do some howls and hit the high notes quite well too. Dunno about price but it was worth whatever she paid. It called in one yesterday on its maiden voyage but I didn’t connect.

Traded rainshadow for a closed reed too, and despite liking open reeds this closed reed has called in a bunch! It freezes up in the 20 and below temp range but I still wanna use it every stand. It’s called in everything from magpie to bear. Which the bear really liked it. Called in a big male just a week or so ago after only a few minutes. Very high quality call.

Next will be one from rareearth in a high cottontail. Heard great things about his calls too.

Most the calls in the custom calls thread will kill tons for ya. Rudy is my choice for lowest price and highest quality. Some of the auctions are hard to pass up! All these guys sell too cheap IMO

Welcome to Predatory Masters Rij; it's good to see a young hunter interested in calling predators.

I recommend a closed reed to start. I see you're in Utah, so either jackrabbit or cottontail would work. Any of our custom makers can set you up with a reasonably priced call. They'll run you a bit more than a factory call, but the quality and pride of ownership is worth a little extra. If you'd prefer the variety an open reed can offer, Rudy (posted above) makes a great little call called the Bunny Bomb that is very easy to make great sound with. I've got a half dozen or more and they all sing the bunny blues with the best of them. Bearmanric of RR calls has some production calls that might also work for you. Excellent prices with great sound. I carry one his open reed production calls on my elk call lanyard and have called in a several coyotes with it while elk hunting.

Not to beat a dead horse but,
Rudy (BadToTheBone) makes some killer stuff. Every once in a while he'll post a set of calls, one open and one closed reed. If your in no hurry you could wait for one of them to pop up or you could just ask him.
You can't go wrong with any call makers from here. I've got about a dozen calls just from the call makers on here. I also have 5 or 6 production (store bought) calls that haven't been taken off the gun cabinet since I started buying custom calls. Customs look much better and most importantly SOUND much better.IMO

Hi Martin, after you get some calls, I'd be glad to set up a time for a phone call and go over the basics of hand calling with you.

Do your research, and then enjoy the hunting.

Best regards,

Rudy

Martin I see you said you are still in school, I have helped with the UT YOUTH HUNT from day one send me your address and I will send you some calls NC
BOB

Hey forest ghost

I just saw this post. Glad you like the call and your girlfriend sure sounds like a keeper.

Calling in a wolf is a rare thing. Very cool. Everytime I drive by the bison range I imagine all the call setups a guy would have.
Not sure I would have your descipline to call coyotes in and not be able to shoot.

Glad you like the call, happy hunting.

Great callmakers here. You will be addicted. I also live in Washington state. Will be going to Great Falls montana that's were yellerdog move to will be wolf calling and making call parts. If you need a easy blowing Howler free let me know. Welcome here. Rick

Back