not exactly fur

AlexanderWaller

Anybody here ever preserve a snake skin? I recently caught a 9 foot python and am looking to preserve the skin, but I have never tanned a hide before. I read a quick guide online that claimed all I needed was glycerin and rubbing alcohol for the solution. Does anyone know if this will work, or if there is something significantly better? Do I need an actual beam for fleshing out the skin or can I just use a table? Not looking to go crazy buying fancy products, just want to preserve the skin enough that it wont rot/smell/deteriorate on the wall. Any advice or ideas would be great.

Snake skin is really easy from what I’ve heard. I use the dried skins for bow backing. I’ve done a couple skins myself and yeah, knife, spoon, whatever to scrape any meat but really once you skin it there’s nothing there. YouTube has some good videos.

Use a spoon or butter knife for fleshing on a flat surface. Tack or nail it to a board and brush it on. I've always just used glycerin but I've seen where people have used denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol. Supposedly it gets rid of any bacteria which makes sense.

Look for a product called "reptan" or something like that. I think it was in an orange bottle. Made a belt outta a big rattler 20 years ago and it still looks good.

Back