Trijicon vs. Pulsar

cmabbott04

Hey guys,

Looking to get a new night optic (thermal) and narrowed down between the IR Hunter Mark2 and the Pulsar Trail XP50. I have not had the chance to compare both side by side, has anyone else had extensive experience? There is a decent price difference but I am a buy once cry once guy.

Thanks!

Having looked through both of these I can tell you without a doubt the image quality in the Trijicon unit absolutely cannot be matched. I'm not saying that the pulsars unit is horrible I'm just saying that the Trijicon is absolutely the best right now at this moment.

The things that I don't like about the Trijicon is how bad it eats up batteries, the fact that if you go to an external power source you have to deal with the cord, and if you want to record you have to deal with a digital video recorder with a cord, and also it does not have the picture-in-picture feature and also in my opinion the Trijicon unit really lacks in a good choice of reticles.

If all you want is something for hunting with a very clear picture and you do not plan on recording and you do not care about picture in picture feature, then definitely go with the Trijicon.

If you're interested in recording and you like the idea of picture in picture and you want more features, then definitely go with the pulsar.

Although it's not this way, I wish Trijicon had some of pulsars bells and whistles and I also wish that Pulsar had Trijicon's thermal core, but all we have today is this to choose from and it makes the choice very difficult.

Last edited:
Having bought the XP50 and having had the opportunity to use a Trijicon, I found the slightly less quality image in the XP50 to be a non-issue when considering all the features AND the cost of the XP50. I just killed a hog at 350 yards with my XP50 using 6X... the image was PLENTY clear for identification and the shot. I can identify deer and hogs well past 500 yards... well past reasonable hunting distances.

With that said, some of us are having zero hold issues. Mine shifted zero 2" low and 2" right for no apparent reason. Not sure if it is going to do it again but I'll be keeping a log and a close eye on the issue.

Back