E-Caller vs Hand call question.....

Deadctr

So, I got to thinking the other day. Everyone says to place an e-caller about 40 yards in front of you. I get that and it makes sense to me, that the critters will be attracted to the sound, and come within decent range.

But if you're hand calling, of course the call is right on you.

So why don't place the e-caller right beside you too?

Maybe overthinking it?

Because... the whole advantage of the e-caller is the ability to set it away from you so that the responding predator doesn't have your location exactly pinned down. Think about it...

Originally Posted By: GCBecause... the whole advantage of the e-caller is the ability to set it away from you so that the responding predator doesn't have your location exactly pinned down. Think about it...

Easier to move the gun and get on target when they aren't looking at you. Not to mention the benefit of them coming in down wind of the sound instead of you.

Because... the whole advantage of the e-caller is the ability to set it away from you so that the responding predator doesn't have your location exactly pinned down. Think about it...

Easier to move the gun and get on target when they aren't looking at you. Not to mention the benefit of them coming in down wind of the sound instead of you.

Exactly, plus the E call is really loud if it too close to you. I set mine 30-40 yards out and upwind.

Welcome to Predator Masters !!! You will learn many new things on this forum from many knowledgeable hunters. You will also learn from the master, Wiley Coyote !!!

Many different ways to set up. Trial & error. Daylight & night hunting can differ. Part of the fun is trying new things. Many are killed with mouth calls too !

I actually call more critters with hand calls than with e-calls. If I have a partner I prefer to hand call. Note, my partner is seldom sitting with me. For the partner, sitting away from me while I'm calling allows them better opportunities to make a shot because they aren't pinned down by a hard charger that pops into view at short range. Basically I become their remote caller. However, if hunting alone the ability to have the sound a distance away from me with an e-caller allows me to kill more animals because I don't get handcuffed in the close range steep timber and brushy country that I hunt. While the responding critter is focused on the caller I can get the shot without being busted. Usually...
smile.gif

Have shot many fox with the old Dennis Kirk tape caller sitting right next to me. The Fox Pro with its remotes are very nice and there are some advantage to having the call away from you, just as the above poster said. But like you said if you are hand calling the sound is right there. Both will work.

I actually do just have the caller beside me or pretty close a lot of times, because Im lazy, or I think maybe Ill get busted walking the caller out very far. You do lose some advantage, but honestly, Im used to having them right on top of me while handcalling, so no biggie to me. Closer the better. I dont feel like Ive lost that many due to doing that, although who really knows.

Calling with a partner I do make the effort to set it out there.

We have thick fog here in winter, and when Im out calling in it, I gear up with the shotgun, and the ecaller is real close, for obvious reasons. I mean, like you cant see 10 yards-ish.

Mark

Daylight calling stay concealed and place the caller out in front. Night calling with lights get in the open and keep the caller close. Remember you can not see their eyes if they are not looking at you. Use your scan light as your concealment. The earlier you see their eyes the sooner you are concealed from them. Condition them to the scan light as they approach and do not turn the gun light on until you are ready to shoot.

Daylight hunting you want them looking away from you. Night hunting with lights you want them looking at you.
That's how do it.

Last edited:
Lots and lots of great tidbits in this thread. Night Eyes mentioned something that might have been missed, but is very important. When night hunting the Red Light is "NOT" just for picking up their eye reflection, it is a concealment barrier to prevent them from seeing you. The condition to the light he mentioned is not to burn them directly to soon, keep them in the edge of the halo until your shot opportunity is what you want it to be. At night with a light, you need them looking in your direction, hence the caller close to you helps in that effort.

Some of these guys are from states that do not allow night hunting, so that might not be even taken into consideration. Here in Virginia I keep the call close to me at night if using red lights "vice thermal." In the day time, I may have it as much as 75-80 yards away depending on terrain, and I will add a visual piece of eye candy like a e-decoy attached to the Fusion to really hold their interest.

But I love calling with mouthcalls, more of a sense of accomplishment to me when I win that way.

A dan Thompson red desert howler and a pee wee call have been my best two... but my Kerry carvers sounds great and are easier to blow

Hey just my .02
smile.gif

Not everyone says to put the call out about 40 yrds. We put the call out many times much further than that. sometimes 100-150+
but most of the time it IS 40-50 yrds. sometimes directly to the side of where WE are. This will focus the attention on THE PLACE of sound. Many times yotes will show up or come running then stop looking directly at THE SPOT of where the call is. Even though they may not see it or hear it, due to being muted. They know exactly where that sound is or was coming from as the get closer. As suggested, you just have to get out a lot and keep trying. In the east the cover is much thicker and they will see, hear or smell you more often than you think. Try to set up with cross wind sets, call set out in front and up wind of the intended area. Then make the shot before the yotes gets to the wind of where you walked out placing it. Might have to mute it or bark or howl to get some to stop if they are coming in hard. Good luck to you !

No Off Season,

Are you hunting daylight or night when you put the call out 100-150 yards? If night hunting are you using lights or night vision/thermal?

Sorry I should have specified that....
I never hunt at night. Not my thing. I really love to see them work into the call. Never had a night hunt either so I don't judge others. I do hunt out in the plains states each year and get a real charge out of seeing how far they come to a call and have had 5 come in at the same time. We all learn from each other.

I should add that I do have Carver hand calls and some others as well as howlers. There are always times when we feel the need to use them. Mostly though I would not head out without the e-caller. I do use the Shockwave and we also have a Firestorm. I'm now thinking of the Krakatoa. So yes I do believe that electronic is the way to go. Must have the hand calls because you never know when you'll screw up and leave the power on and run the batteries dead. Ask me how i know!

now who would ever set the call out 100 yds and then discover that the dam batteries are dead, oh yes! ain't that awfull I keep an extra battery pack with me, but it still messes up the set.
don

Back