Coyote 50

Snowshoes

More snow, colder temperatures, snowshoes, and a coyote decoy was part of this mornings hunt.
Snowshoe a quarter mile from the parked truck, set the decoy out 50 yards from where I would sit and then after 15 minutes have a pair of coyotes coming across the field to the north of me. The back coyote stops and gives the decoy some stink-eye. The coyote then swings south and V-lines towards the decoy.
Once the coyote clears the cattails, I howl & then drop it where it stood. (63 yards away)
The coyote and decoy were 32 yards apart.
I have had mixed results with decoys, sometimes the work and other times they just plain don't work.
Today it worked.
I was kind of expecting the coyote to be a male but it was a female.

Last edited:
Number 50 Congrats, Snowshoes. I put out a decoy one night and when the coyote saw it, it froze and just looked at it. Drt. Extra work for sure. WTG.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorNumber 50 Congrats, Snowshoes. I put out a decoy one night and when the coyote saw it, it froze and just looked at it. Drt. Extra work for sure. WTG.
A few years back, after some cottontail distress calls, I had a pair come across a lake on a dead run only to freeze when they seen the decoys ( I had two decoys out that time). Only problem, the coyotes were close to 300 yards out. I tried a shot but missed
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mantorvilleyoteSnowshoes, is your decoy a Montana decoy?
Its a Rezno decoy which is very similar to the Montana.

Originally Posted By: wjh131Nice work brother!

50 is always my goal, came close at 49 one year!

Awesome season!!
Thank you, Its always been a great form of weekend entertainment.

Originally Posted By: Displayed NameCongrats!
Thank you Ryan

Last edited:
That is great (50) ... I know some years you put up 100 or close to that...
Congrats on reaching this years goal....

Originally Posted By: emptymagHot [beeep]! You did it. Congrats!
Thank you, If all goes well, I hope to add a few more before seasons end.

Originally Posted By: fratriThat is great (50) ... I know some years you put up 100 or close to that...
Congrats on reaching this years goal....
Thank you fratri, seems as my age increases, the coyote numbers are somehow decreasing :)Whats that all about?
Between not hunting coyotes as hard as I used to and with more guys now out hunting them, my numbers are definitely down.
Not sure I will see those 75 to 90+ dogs a year again but can always hope
smile.gif

Congratulations ---50 very good year--Enjoyed your post all year--Your are a Good hunter and Outdoorsmen --Thanks for sharing your Hunts

svb

Originally Posted By: luderCongrats on 50, enjoy the write up and pics..
Thank you luder, I always appreciated you taking the time to comment

Originally Posted By: SVBCongratulations ---50 very good year--Enjoyed your post all year--Your are a Good hunter and Outdoorsmen --Thanks for sharing your Hunts

svb

Thank you SVB, I appreciate the kind words.

Thank you luder, I always appreciated you taking the time to comment No we thank you for taking the time to post the hunt stories and pics. Everyone here I am sure enjoys the journey with you. Thanks for taking us along- keep it up.

Originally Posted By: Sask trapperCongrats your having another good year!!

Thanks Sask trapper, It will be interesting to see how the NAFA sale goes.

Back