Hard Drug Users Living Next Door

Bad Dawg

Hi Guys. I rent a nice ranch style two bedroom condo with an attached garage in a small town. It’s a duplex, and the neighbors that live right next door may be using hard drugs.

They moved in this past summer. Initially, three moved in. The mother, son and daughter. Things were quiet and nothing of major concern, although the character of the mother and son were questionable. The daughter seemed innocent and a good soul.

Now some months later, I start to notice a lot of random cars pulling in and out. Some still running in the driveway while people are inside the house. I also notice that the people coming and going have very questionable character, as well.

One month ago, two mid twenties women show up with three kids. One looks very masculine, and come to find out they are a couple. Not judging, it’s their business. They have been there ever since. The noise has gotten bad and more random cars pulling up with rough looking people.

Out of concern, I talked to my waitress friend at the local cafe that knows everyone. She knows of the people and says they are most likely using heroin, and fills me in on some specific details about them.

I’m not concerned about my safety. I have means to protect myself. I am more concerned about my place getting broken into.

Would you guys get the cops involved? What other measures would you take? You won’t be judged by me, so please be honest and let me know how you’d deal with it.

I would make sure cops are aware of the situation. They probly cant do anything, but at least they will know and possibly give that area some attention.

Also, make sure everythings locked up and if you can put up some cameras, do it.
Just my .02.
Mark

Originally Posted By: LONEHOWLI would make sure cops are aware of the situation. They probly cant do anything, but at least they will know and possibly give that area some attention.

Also, make sure everythings locked up and if you can put up some cameras, do it.
Just my .02.
Mark

Yeah this, and maybe a good barking dog to go along with your cat.

Are they renters? People like that usually trash the place before leaving without paying. If they have unauthorized tenants or other grounds for lease termination I'm sure their landlord would like to know.

Originally Posted By: HuntinjimAre they renters? People like that usually trash the place before leaving without paying. If they have unauthorized tenants or other grounds for lease termination I'm sure their landlord would like to know.

Yes. Landlord has been notified and seems to take it very seriously.

when is your lease up? in your shoes I might move.

my problem isn't quite that bad but a month after we bought this house, the neighbors grandson moved back in next door. after getting out of prison. one of his offenses had been to steal the former owner of our house's credit cards from inside the kitchen & going on a spending spree.

dude is a frigging tweaker. always high, drunk, both or looking for a way to pay for the next binge. he knows I carry but i have to wonder if that fact sticks with him when he's wasted.

he has his tweaker/stealing friends over. so far they've left our place alone but i don't take anything for granted.

I keep holding out for him to either screw up enough to go back in or die, either from drug use or from a deal gone bad. or maybe from getting caught breaking into someone's house & getting shot.

but so far no such luck...

since we bought it, moving is a more costly problem so i'm just trying to outlast him.

Stu, sorry to hear about what you are going through. I know how it feels and it does suck. Whenever I am away from home I’m always wondering if everything is ok. I always open the door looking to see if it’s been broken into.

This couldn’t have happened at a worse time. The place is very nice and I pay cheap rent for it. I was planning on looking to buy a house on property this summer, and don’t want to move before that.

I know the landlord, and he sounds committed to taking care of the issue. I’ve also taken other action as well.

The thing I am most concerned about, is if they receive a notice to evict, these people may do something stupid before they leave or it could be messy while they are still there with the eviction notice.

I may get the valuables and firearms out of the house till this cools.

This is a scary situation for you guys and one that happens all too often, it seems.
Hard to tell what the best course of action is, you want to be heavily involved in getting these people behind bars or at the very least out of your life. The bad thing is if they do find out you are involved in causing any trouble for them, they will most likely be h3ll-bent on revenge.
IMO, people now seem more vindictive than ever before. They don't come directly at you anymore but instead, sneak around and lay out their revenge when you aren't home.

I'll back up the camera idea. Nowadays a mans word is questioned without pictures. The cops and courts ask first thing if you have a camera.
People often start planning and get ripped off before taking any steps.
I recall a guy that lost his whole arsenal and said the plans for the new safe were right there on the desk. So what too late.
I warned a friend with an alarm to get cameras, A group came in with a Uhaul moving van and wiped him out while the neighbors watched thinking they were redecorating or something.

agreed, i've been considering wireless IP cameras and a server or maybe better an amazon cloud account to store the video. would cost a few hundred to set up but might end up being worth it

back in the late 80's I helped a friend move into a new house (rental) in a not-so-great hood. he started having thins stole from a shed in back, so he bought and installed a motion detecting security light.

the next night, they stole the light.

I [beeep] hate thieves.

Quote:The bad thing is if they do find out you are involved in causing any trouble for them, they will most likely be h3ll-bent on revenge.
IMO, people now seem more vindictive than ever before.

IDK, 25 years ago had a neighborhood teenager that chose the alley right behind my workshop to smoke pot and drink beer with his other underage buddies.

One afternoon, I looked out the window just as one of them tossed an empty beer bottle over the fence into my yard and the Irish just boiled over! I went out and ran them off in no uncertain terms.

A few days later they were back smoking their pot and sharing beer with a kid that was probably 9 years old. I called the law.

That evening I was working at the bench which had a window behind it with the shade drawn when a half brick hit the cedar siding, missing the window by inches, right beside my head. Sounded like a shotgun going off!

I ran to the door, grabbing a 5' piece of 3/4" pipe and recognized the kid running down the alley. I yelled, "that's a good way to get your azz shot" and he dove over a 4.5" fence. Funniest thing I ever saw as the 3' grass parted as he fast crawled across that lot. The kid knew I owned guns and I'm sure that piece of pipe looked like a shotgun in the dark.
lol.gif

For the next several months, we would come home to find our garbage cans dumped over the fence in the yard or bottles shattered on our patio. One day I caught one of them calling my dog to the fence, I suspect he had the idea of feeding him some poison. I'm sure I convinced him that my dog's good health was critical to his well being.

It escalated to the point I feared they would toss a molotov coctail at my shop so even installed fire alarm system. Fortunately, about that time the ringleader was picked up shooting an illegal full auto weapon and took a long vacation at an out of town resort, never to return to the area.

I feel for you, Bad Dog, watch your 6 when dealing with druggies.

Quote:They don't come directly at you anymore but instead, sneak around and lay out their revenge when you aren't home.

Regards,
hm

One really funny episode in the otherwise serious situation occurred when I noticed a small "cave" in the 4' tall grass across the alley with the entrance facing our back yard. One day I spotted one of the juveniles ride his bike up and crawl into the "cave" to smoke.

When he left, I proceeded to pick up several of my (very large) dog's deposits and fling them across the alley into the "cave". Just so happened I looked out the back window a day or so later just in time to see the youngster ride up on his bicycle and roll off the seat into the cave before the bike even came to a stop. He exited the "cave" just as fast as he entered, jumped on his trusty steed and sped off into the sunset.

Regards,
hm

A buddy of mine has motion activated cameras that when tripped, send a text message to his phone and he can view the footage. Think it works through wi-fi. Not sure how the data is stored if you need to save it.

hm, sorry to hear you had to go through that. That kid is lucky he didn't push you too far. It doesn’t sound like you would have taken it!

I will be watching my 6 a bit closer now until this blows over, unfortunately. I hate to have to walk around on guard, but that’s the reality of this situation. They can’t be trusted.

That is funny, your last reply. Sounds like it got the kids attention.
smile.gif

Back