Cold weather calling and bait pile fun, and a couple tips as well!

wjh131

So, it's been cold up here. -25 to -35 celsius, some days windy, some not. I've set up 2 bait piles and it's been good.

I've been waiting till the dogs starting hitting the baits pretty good. But, I haven't been exclusively shooting them on the bait. I've been calling over the bait using a higher pitched challenge call. I've been at it all times of the day. One pile I've killed 5 so far, in about 8 days. I keep howling, they keep coming. I've been lucky that they've been all singles come in, and I'm shooting 100% on em. The other pile, I've only got 4, but it's only been 6 days, so not bad, but I had a group of 4 come, and I kinda got coyote fever, I didn't shoot, just didn't know which one or when to shoot.

As for the cold weather, I've been going at 'er all day most days. I've had my best luck right around the 3:00 pm MST mark, right at about 75% of the dogs I've killed has been at this time. They just seem to wanna move at that time of the day. I've also extended my sets to an hour. Dress for it, with good boots and a guy is alright.

Good luck.

I hope these experiences help out!

Back