whats your favorite 9mm powder-Competition.

ohihunter2014

I am interested in shooting USPSA/IDPA and looking for your input on a powder shooting 9mm 124gr FN. Im looking for something with more of a push than a lot of muzzle flip.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014I am interested in shooting USPSA/IDPA and looking for your input on a powder shooting 9mm 124gr FN. Im looking for something with more of a push than a lot of muzzle flip.

Hard to beat 231/HP38 but Titegroup works pretty good also.
If you want something with more of a push try 147's with Titegroup or 231, great on steel targets and IMO less felt recoil than 115's or 124's

Another vote for HP38/231. I like it for 124s. With 147s I have gone more with titegroup. I use these powders to meet minor power factor (125).

HS6 was my go to powder for 9mm when I was shooting IDPA. I always had good accuracy and velocity with both 115gr and 124gr Zero bullets.

Right now I am using VV N320 with Montana Gold 124 gr. HP bullets. I have also used WW 231 and Titegroup. For more of a push try the 147 gr. bullets.

I use True Blue and WSF but prefer the True Blue. It's probably all in my head, but I seem to get less recoil at the same velocities as other powders.

Crazy how these "best" pistol powder lists are all over the place. You'd think the shooting world would narrow it down to like 2 or 3 "best" powders for each weight/caliber. No, a typical Google search for "best powder 9mm 124" or whatever results in a long list of powders. Makes it confusing for folks starting up.

I use 4grs of 231 with a 125 SnS lead coated bullet. Makes about 128000 power factor legal for IDPA. What clubs in NW Ohio you going to shoot at? I may see you at a shoot.

My USPSA minor load is 145 gr LRN on top of HS-6. Stupid accurate, but dirty compared to N320. Generally, in minor PF, the heavier bullet slaps steel with more authority. Faster powders than my choice will give you a different recoil impulse. This has been working so well, I have been using a lighter spring weight in my M&P Core 9 5", shooting in Carry Optics. The USPSA Frontsight magazine list all the components used by competitors. TiteGroup and coated bullets top the list as does 147 gr bullets, N320 comes in 2nd for production guns. Titegroup is cheaper than most, accurate and small charge weights for bonus savings. The Single Stack Nationals also indicated this powder trend.

Originally Posted By: Tooltime 2I use 4grs of 231 with a 125 SnS lead coated bullet. Makes about 128000 power factor legal for IDPA. What clubs in NW Ohio you going to shoot at? I may see you at a shoot.

PM sent.

Back