Long range scope.

What distance is long range to you?
What rifle is this going on?
Your budget is $1K for just the scope?

For just the scope, I recommnd the Nightforce SHV 4-14x56, Seekins rings, and a good rail/base

I just bought a Huskemaw 3-12x I'm waiting to get delivered. I got it for $770 shipped. I have a couple Leupold VX-6 scopes that don't dial and return to zero consistently. I have one of the giant 5-30x Huskemaw tactical scopes on a long range rifle and it has been great so far too but they are very expensive. I got mine at half price and still had to think hard about it.

On another forum I frequent the ones that people seem to be happy with the dialing on are the Huskemaw (although they say the glass isn't great), Bushnell LRHS, Nightforce SHV, Sig Whiskey 5, and SWFA scopes.

I'll just add a link to one of the threads I read on this subject on the other forum
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/long-range-hunting/75885-age-1000-scope-thread.html

For the money the Vortex PST has all the features you need and is pretty dam good for the price. Feel free to contact me if you want to talk scopes. I own or have owned all the high end stuff S&B, Vortex, USO, NF, Leupold ect. I will have a Zero Tolerance as soon as they are ready to ship also.

I only use Leupold 6.5-20 vx3i scopes.have never had a issue with them and they do not way a lot like the NightForce and I just got one for a rifle build going on now for 806.00 at Optics Planet

Look at the burris xtr II and some of the upper end bushnell scopes too. Check the hide for some descent deals on used glass.

I am a Leupold guy and I have owned a lot of other good scopes Vortex pst, sightron siiiss, Nightforce ATACR, NXS, and SHV. For some reason I keep going back to Leupold i guess it is oprimarily because their customer service and their custom shop. I have had reticles changed and turrets changed and they go over the whole scope sending it back like new. I like the vx3 long range scopes and the mk4 scopes. I’ve never owned a vx6 or mk 6 but I have been happy with all the vxiii, vx3, vx3i and mk4 scopes I’ve owned. That said I just had the opportunity to review the new ZEISS Conquest V4 4-16x44 and 6-24x50 and those scopes are IMPRESSIVE! The have 30mm tubes, exposed elevation turrets and capped windage. They come with a really good zero stop and their Reticles are very nice. But the glass is the impressive part! These scopes are bright and clear, in low light they blew my Leupold scopes out of the water. You can get a 4-16x44 for $950 and the 6-24 is just $1099. I am not affiliated with Zeiss in any way but you should give these scopes a serious look. I’m considering selling some Leupolds

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KletusWant to get a long range rig set up. Budget is around 1k. What's best for the money.

Do some research on turrets and tracking.

Since you said “around 1K” I’d try to find a used Nightforce NXS.

The Burris XTR II is a tracking SOB as well.

I would absolutely not trust a Leupold (at all) or Vortex (short of the AMG) for this.

If the new Conquest V4 proves to be as good as the Conquest V6 I have, that would be another option. Quality reviews could take a year or so, which probably means it’s not an option.

Take a look at SWFA super sniper good glass tracks real well. Go to sniper hide or long range hunting forum you will find a lots people that use those scope.

Yep, keep it simple and grab an SWFA 10x42 Mil Quad.... Best 300 bucks you'll spend on optics. I was a staunch Leupold guy but all my using rifles have SWFA's these days.

A LR scope needs to track, have matching turrets to the reticle and be able to withstand some abuse. Ignore Leupold since I haven't seen one in that price range that tracks properly.

If it were me I'd go Vortex PST, NF SHV or a used NXS model. Scopes in the LR game seem super expensive until you realize what they do. I run a Vortex Razor AMG on my coyote rifle and it has exponentially increased my shooting capability just learning how it works. 500 yard hits with my 22-250 are common now whereas with my old Leupold it was a complete guess and hope I hit the yote.

I was initially planning on swapping it to my 6.5 when it arrives but I love it so much I might just have to buy a 2nd one.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: KletusWant to get a long range rig set up. Budget is around 1k. What's best for the money.

Do some research on turrets and tracking.

Yes sir, this is the answer.

Originally Posted By: alphapheasant41I was looking at the Nightforce as well for a long range gun of mine. I found one solid review with the SHV and Vortex Viper. https://outdooropticshq.com/best-sniper-scope/ I have a Vortex and love it, but thanks for the help CZ257 I think I will have to try the Nightforce out for this gun.

I think you’ll be pleased with a Nightforce.
Welcome to PM!

Back