Coyotes 48 & 49

Snowshoes

We have seen colder temperatures and snow for the past couple days. Friday the snow started and never stopped till Saturday afternoon. Driving on the country roads Saturday morning was interesting to say the least. An eight inch blanket of fresh snow overnight and still snowing heavily, it made fields, ditches and roads all look as one. With no tracks on the roads to follow, I broke trail for 7 miles and at times, there was some hopeful guessing to where the road was.
Went to pull into the field near the feedlot but wasn’t 100% sure where the approach was. Not wanting to drop a wheel in the ditch, I got out and made sure the location of the approach. After parking the truck it would be just a matter of walking along the creek bank towards the dead pit. A steady heavy snowfall restricted visibility greatly and I thought this to be in my favor. Walking was relatively quiet too and yet the four coyotes I did see, were on a hard run away from me. None were close and they picked me out long before I seen them. With no shots fired, the walk back to the truck seemed longer than usual. Went home and spent the next couple hours cleaning out the yard.
This morning the weather station showed a temperature of -28F and a wind-chill of -41F but at least it wasn’t snowing. Dressed for the conditions and off I went to see if any coyotes were around the poultry farms. Pulled the truck off the lease road and parked in snow that showed drag marks from the trucks undercarriage. Started my journey a little later than planned and it would be tough making up time in these conditions. As I crest the first hill, I see a pair of coyotes heading across the field and watch them pass within a hundred yards of where I should have been sitting. Keep slogging along and finally make it to my look out spot. Set up, catch my breath before glassing the sloughs near the farm. See a fair number of ravens, magpies and as a bonus, 4 coyotes.
Ten minutes pass before seeing a coyote directly to my left. I swing the scope onto it, go to pull the trigger but nothing. Fiddle around and discover the bolt was partially up, push the bolt completely down but the coyote is running back to the bush, I rush a shot which resulted in a miss. Focus back on the four coyotes to the north which seem unsure what to do. After a few seconds, one heads west, one heads southeast and the other two head directly towards me. I let them shorten the yardage and when they stop, I pick the lead coyote and drop it. The other coyote could have run any direction but instead trots 20 yards closer to me before stopping to look back at its partner. Coyote number two down. First one ranged at 101 yards and the second, was 80 yards.
Not a chance of getting the truck into the field without getting stuck, so I covered the coyotes up with snow in order to keep the ravens off them. Walked the half mile back to the truck and drove home to where the snowmobile awaited. The temperature had warmed to -15 F by the time I left with the machine which was greatly appreciated. A mile & half cross county trip had me to where the truck had been parked. Now to make a good packed trail for walking on future hunts was in order. Made two passes before picking up the coyotes and now with coyotes in tow, made sure to swing back onto my previous route for additional packing.
Suppose to be cold all week but warming up by next weekend. We will see!! Hope to make the 50 mark!!

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now.

Last edited:
2 more down, congrats, the farther one doesn't look as nice as the closer one. But it doesn't matter, 2 more down, congrats.

Originally Posted By: lockrotor2 more down, congrats, the farther one doesn't look as nice as the closer one. But it doesn't matter, 2 more down, congrats.

Good eye, I debated taking that one home actually.

Originally Posted By: fratriNice job, nice story, thanks for sharing, keep them coming

Thank you fratri, I hope to collect a few more coyotes before seasons end, time will tell.

[color:#CC0000][/color]Congratulations on your kills Snowshoe---TALKING ABOUT RAVENS I shot a nice 34.6 lb Male Coyote Friday morning at 140 yds and before he was done kicking a Raven was on him. Hard to believe but that's how it happened----------HOPE you get your 50 soon that's a Great year WTG

SKIP

Thank you SVB, Hope to hit the 50 mark tomorrow. However, the weather isn't really cooperating right now. Windy and snowing
frown.gif

Back