53gr v max ballistic coefficient?

ohihunter2014

I am currently shooting 55gr v max in 223rem around 3200fps MV. I have been reading a lot and see people saying shoot a 52-53gr .224 bullet for better ballistic coefficient for longer range shooting. I am shooting woodchucks with these rounds and would like to stretch it out to 350-400yards so once again that bullet is recommended form what I've read. I played around with Hornadys ballistics calculator with 50gr, 53gr and 55gr v max and the 55 and 53gr seem to be the sweet spot for flatter shooting with the 53gr giving more 300-400yard velocity and foot pounds and a little flatter shooting according to the ballistics calculator.

Would you guys switch bullets or just stick with the 50-55gr. I want to try the 50's cause I can get the z max in bulk for well under the price of v max. Ive never really bother with BC so this is new to me but would like all the help I can get to shoot 350-400yards if it will help at all.
smile.gif

BC is important but really not all it's cracked up to be. I tried the 53 vmax and went right back to 55 varmageddons. They shoot sub 1/4" and like a jump.

Originally Posted By: ackleyman53's need at least a 12 twist.

What kind of gun are you shooting and what is the twist rate?

1-9twist savage 223rem

Originally Posted By: CZ527BC is important but really not all it's cracked up to be. I tried the 53 vmax and went right back to 55 varmageddons. They shoot sub 1/4" and like a jump.

I want to try the noslers also. all the reading I've done pushes BC for longer ranges so I figured it would be good to get the 53's.

According to Hornady, the BC for the 53 gr. V-Max is .290 and I think a 1 in 12 twist is required. I shot hundreds and hundreds of the 50 gr. Z-Max green tipped bullets out of my .22-250 and they really made the prairie dogs explode, but the 53 gr. V-Max is by far better in the wind and drop departments. It is hard to resist the low price on the Z-Max though.

Running the numbers,starting the 53 and 55 gr vmax at 3200 and zero at 200. @400 the 53 has -20 drop and 17.2 drift(10 mph); the 55 gr(bc .255)is -21.5 and 20.2 inches of drift. Shoot the best shooting(in your rifle)of the 2 and learn you wind holds. Drop not an advantage on upright woodchuck,wind if you can dial for 17, dialing for 20 should not matter, accurate wind reading is required for both.

Not sure how I missed this thread. I shoot a lot of 53gr Vmax bullets in a pair of heavy barrel factory Remington 1:12 twist rifles, SPS-Varmint. The 53 vmax perform beautifully in both rifles and luckily both shoot an identical load.
The longest kill shot Ive taken with the 53Vmax has been 441yds and it dropped him hard! Ive also had a couple 200yd shots and a couple 300yd shots. Everyone of them have dropped the coyote where he stood. I have no complaints with the 53gr Vmax. The 53 Vmax and some Benchmark powder is bad medicine on coyotes.
In my light weight calling rifle I shoot the 50gr Vmax. The 53gr is just too long for the magazine. The 50s shoot well but not like the 53s at the longer distances.
One thing I really like about the Vmax is I havent ever had a pass thru shot, even at 16 yards! Lol, yes, she was on her way to come sit in my lap!

Spend more time shooting/practicing with your current "one hole" bullet and less time over thinking stuff.

I ran a 50gr vmax from a plain ole 223 rem for years and more years. Killed a truck load of chucks with it from 400 yards and in.

My group switched to 53 vmax for prairie dogs. They were just as accurate as any other good bullet my rifle shot well. That being said why wouldn’t I take advantage of the slightly flatter shooting better wind bucking round. When you are shooting small things at distance a couple of inches matters. Sure, the 50’s and 55’s might be just as accurate and capable of hitting small things, assuming you don’t make any mistakes reading the wind and distance. Getting the exact range on a PD is often difficult and reading wind is an estimate because who knows what the wind is doing 400-500 yards away when you take that shot. If the ballistic advantage of a bullet helps compensate for my abilities, I’m all for that. Also, it probably doesn’t matter for varmint but could factor in on coyote, the higher bc bullet is going to carry more energy at distance.

Your velocities will likely vary but for examples sake I just used the fastest listed range for each bullet in the hornady manual. Night and day difference? No. Does the 53 give you an advantage? Yes.

50 gr vmax
90k0Zz.png

53 gr vmax
z15cQU.png

55 gr vmax
xAGu6c.png

Last edited:
Try the 53gr vmax or the new 53gr nosler. If they group as good as the 50’s out of your gun then shoot them. If they don’t then shoot the 50-55. The better BC won’t help if they aren’t as accurate.

Back