Different calls for Night vs. Day hunting?

wardogo

I’m in Minnesota and never coyote hunted before. Was going to try tomorrow. Was wondering if you use different calls in the day vs. night? And what kind of calls do you use this time of year (late winter)?

Do you use different calls for Night vs. Day hunting?

The only difference between day and night hunting from a sounds perspective is I tend to use more prey-distress at night than I do during the day since they are naturally hunting at night. However, I will say by this time of the year many coyotes will have heard and been educated to the standard rabbit, bird and other distress sounds. Doesn't mean it won't work, but it is getting tougher. The mate is in full swing, so many callers will be using vocalizations. Either trying to sound like they are wanting to find a mate, or intruding on a pair's territory, etc. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: KirschThe only difference between day and night hunting from a sounds perspective is I tend to use more prey-distress at night than I do during the day since they are naturally hunting at night. However, I will say by this time of the year many coyotes will have heard and been educated to the standard rabbit, bird and other distress sounds. Doesn't mean it won't work, but it is getting tougher. The mate is in full swing, so many callers will be using vocalizations. Either trying to sound like they are wanting to find a mate, or intruding on a pair's territory, etc. Good luck.

I think where I hunt has light to no hunting pressure, so in this case would you start with the standard rabbit, bird, and others?

What are the “others”?

Originally Posted By: wardogo
Kirsch said:
I think where I hunt has light to no hunting pressure, so in this case would you start with the standard rabbit, bird, and others?

What are the “others”?

I have had good success with the Johnny Stewart Rodent sound. Fawn distress is another good sound.

Jack Rabbit, Cottontail, Bird, Fawn, Vole/Mouse are pretty standard but lots of coyotes have been called in to calls like chicken, kitten, puppy distress and others. The old saying was curiosity killed the cat. In this case, curiosity often kills the coyote.

To answer your question, lower calling pressure, can make it easier. However, when coyotes are in love, vocalizations typically works best.

Originally Posted By: KirschJack Rabbit, Cottontail, Bird, Fawn, Vole/Mouse are pretty standard but lots of coyotes have been called in to calls like chicken, kitten, puppy distress and others. The old saying was curiosity killed the cat. In this case, curiosity often kills the coyote.

To answer your question, lower calling pressure, can make it easier. However, when coyotes are in love, vocalizations typically works best.

Thanks. Does vocalizations mean coyote calls?

Coyote vocals or vocalizations refer to using the sounds a coyote makes to trigger a response. Most people mean howls but it can be barks, growls, whine, whimpers, howls or any sound a coyote makes. You can do a search on the site and read a lot about howls for instance.

You said you hadn’t coyote hunted before so would suggest trying to find someone local who has experience and see if they will take you. Watch and learn how they approach a stand, how they set up, calls/sounds they use, etc. It will help the learning curve.

Back