I suck at hunting

KjBeachy

That's the plain truth. I have no idea how many sets I've done this year, but not one coyote. I'm beginning to question the existence of yote, even though I know they are there. I only use handcalls(flexstone dog soldier t.v. series). I also only call after dark. Now, I don't completely suck because the other night I had a fox come in about a minute after calling. He didn't drop till I shot him about 25 yards away. But I want yotes. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

Keep hunting it will happen and when it does it's a lot of fun. I kill a couple coyotes a year and a handful of fox, I like to call them the dumb ones. The more you hunt the more chances you get, my numbers are down this year, I attribute it to being lazy, and life getting in the way.

Use the search feature

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=search

Find some one successful and copy what they do, PM them ask for advice, secrets to success aren't always shared on an open form.

When you get advice check the members posts there's a lot of guys who post a lot and say nothing. Look for guys who actually start posts and are successful not just pages full of "Re:" (responses) cause they like to type.

Last edited:
You are probably calling coyotes but dont see the them. I dont call yotes nor would I shoot one. You need a mirror to see a yote.
wink.gif

Hi,

Rudy here, and pleased to meet you.

Don't ever give up bud. Predator hunting is hard, but that is what makes it sooooooo cool when you score. The first one is the hardest, then it's a life long learning curve after that.

Get you some good hand calls, and practice a lot.

I've been hunting predators for over 50 years (literally) and to this day still keep a junk call in the cup holder of my truck and practice every time I drive. Calling becomes second nature. But, I do get strange looks from city folk at stop lights. LOL! I started off hunting dead piles at the farm, then on to wind up 45rpm records, through cassettes and camo'd boom boxes, e-callers, and hand calls.

I'd be glad to set up a phone call with you and go over things.

Regards,

Rudy

Keep at it !! Like ThomC says you call in more than you ever see. Don't be afraid to try daylight, that's all some of us can hunt and we get some. Good luck.

Even if you go out hunting and "suck" at it, it's always better than just sitting at home "sucking" oxygen.

Be persistent. I run my stands longer here in Va than the 15 minute typical western stand. Usually wrap it up around 25-30 minutes.

Me too, not one coyote this yr. Called in two reds and screwed that up and called in a screech owl the other night. Last year was much more productive.

Everyone in my family has the flu, I've been caretaker today and ready to get after them tonight. Come on bedtime!

Iv e yet to call up one predator this year here in indiana, at least of the furry variety lol. Called up several hawks, one owl that actually tried to carry off with my mojo decoy, and one bald eagle. I night hunt and hear yotes every time I go out but they won't show themselves. I feel your pain lol. Just have to keep after em

Quote: One thing I struggle with is knowing how long/ how intensely to call.

Hi!

There's no set rule for this issue. I can pass on what works for me, but it's not the only way to do it.

I always call at a realistic volume level. The only time I dial it down is when a critter is close and I'm setting him up for the shot.

If I want my sound to reach an area far away, I slide in a little closer and set up rather than over blow the call.

As for intensity, sometimes I dial it down a bit like a rodent near death, but most of the time I go nuts and crank up the intensity. It will make a predator snap it's head up and you get his attention. It hits the 'on' button in his head.

As for how long to call, well, that will different for everyone. Blow until you're getting a little winded, then stop for a while and watch. If you force yourself to keep blowing after you become winded, you lose realism in the sound. I used to hunt with a knucklehead who always blew himself dizzy but just kept on blowing. His distress sounds deteriorated to what I can only describe as a duck fart.
drool.gif

For me, I'm good for about 5 minutes of calling, then I stop and watch for 10 or 15 minutes. Then repeat the cycle. If nothing comes in after about 45 minutes, I figure they're not there, I got busted and they split, or they've already eaten and are not interested.

Again, this is just one old timer's opinion. I hope some other hunters weigh in with their techniques.

Best regards,

Rudy

Keep at it, but mix it up. You have to experiment to find out the parts you’re missing. Once you start seeing them, they become easier to kill, then they become predictable on how they’re going to come to the call.

Don’t get to caught up on the sounds you’re making. If a coyote hasn’t been messed with, chances are he’s coming in. Concentrate more on finding them, setting up within calling distance undetected, and then keeping your scent away from them until you shoot.

Be stealthy and learn the habits of the coyote in your areas. Know where they like to be at certain times of the day, then concentrate on those areas.

Last year was my first year coyote hunting. I hunted hard and got one coyote. It took at least 60 stands before I even saw a coyote, which I ended up getting. I hunted whenever I got a chance, regardless of the time of day. Never hunted at night. My first stands were about20/30 minutes long. As time went on my stands got longer. I was beginning to think there weren't any coyotes any where in my area.
What I did different later on? I got a tip from a game warden on an area that had a high concentration of coyote. I was more and more careful setting up stands. I had my stands last at least an hour. I used mostly a e call, mixed with a little hand calling.
When the coyote come it was running just like you tube videos. I waited until 28 yards out and dropped it with 12 gauge.

You guys don't suck. Calling coyotes this side of the Mississippi in the day light is just that tough. Tough enough you gotta be a special breed to stick with something that fruitless with that much effort involved. Why do you guys think you can't even find the Pulsar thermal stuff in stock? I will tell you why, because every Tom Dick and Harry finally found a way to actually kill one lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223You guys don't suck. Calling coyotes this side of the Mississippi in the day light is just that tough. Tough enough you gotta be a special breed to stick with something that fruitless with that much effort involved. Why do you guys think you can't even find the Pulsar thermal stuff in stock? I will tell you why, because every Tom Dick and Harry finally found a way to actually kill one lol.

You got that right.. Where we hunt i can hear the coyotes every night but cant call one in for nothing. They are not easy to convince them to come to you.

I'm only allowed to hunt in daylight here in CT.

As others have said, you'll never know how many came towards your call but just never showed themselves out in the open or you didn't spot them if they did and they melted back into cover.

I've had them hang up just inside the wooded edge-- only noticed them by their movement against snow on the ground just inside the woods edge. They knew something wasn't quite right and just would not come out of cover.

On other sets on smaller wooded plots, it can be hard because they will loop downwind when they can to investigate before coming out into the open. They often can scent you and you'll never see them.

Plus they always "surprise me" by showing up suddenly, when I thought I was keeping a good look out. It is amazing how they can use terrain to keep hidden. We had to have one guy walk out and lazer range find him at a ridge at 185 yards nearby a long gully. The coyotes would show up without warning by using the gully behind the ridge for cover. Now at least we know the range/shot when they pop up there.

Keep at it and I'll bet you have some success. Some bore right in close inside of 70 yards and some others hang way out there at 400 plus yards out. It's never exactly the same.

For what it is worth, February is my best month because they are active in breeding and pairing up and their food is a little more scarce.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223You guys don't suck. Calling coyotes this side of the Mississippi in the day light is just that tough. Tough enough you gotta be a special breed to stick with something that fruitless with that much effort involved.

EXACTLY Much Much more cover for them to sneak down wind.

Back