Predator hunting shotgun.

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHOriginally Posted By: Kevin23Rem 1187 26” with hornady heavy mag coyote BB.

What choke do you use with that shotty and BB load?
Improved or modified choke is what is suggested with the Hornady I believe. They won't shoot good out of a Dead Coyote choke that I do know. Didn't out of mine anyway. I shoot Winchester Varmint X 3" BB.

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHOriginally Posted By: Kevin23Rem 1187 26” with hornady heavy mag coyote BB.

What choke do you use with that shotty and BB load?

IC

Started shotguning yotes with a older 870 with 30" full choke. Killed a bunch with it. Worked great. It was pretty beat up but worked like a dream. 2 3/4" #4's filled the bill. Tried a few others along the way, Rem 11 (Browning A5), Rem 1100, Rem 1187...they all worked well too.
For some reason the old 870 just really layed them out.
I usually sit up with my back to a greasewood bush or sage brush. I have the shotgun ready, sometimes in good cover I hold it up. When they come in, they are moving fast, almost like shooting doves or teal. Being ready helps a lot. Usually only get one shot at them, even when its doubles.
Some of the fastest coyote hunting I have ever had. You gotta like it, it is intense.
re

I’ve been using the Versamax tactical for 4 years now. It has been my favorite dedicated predator gun to date. I spray painted it and hunt with it. It has never been cleaned and never had a ftf yet.

I just lay my shotgun across my lap with the barrel pointing past my left foot. Even my Benelli Nova which has a longer barrel. It's quicker for me to get to that way.

I meant to put a quote above that. Oh well...It's been a long day.lol

I kind of like the sound of the Versamax. That wouldn't be a bad gun to have.

Last edited:
In the fields or tall grass I use a 26" Remington V3 gas semiauto. In the thick stuff and woods I use my Mossberg 500 with 20" barrel. I don't really care either way. I would like to have a shorter barrel for the V3 though, just pulling the trigger is nice.

Last edited:
Remington 1187 3 1/2” Turkey/Predator model with a turkey choke. I use same loads that I turkey hunt with. But I can’t think of the brand. I probably will be changing because the last bunch I bought were $10 a shell. I don’t even mess with furs here so that’s simply throwing an average of about $20 for every dead coyote, maybe $25 depending on how many times you miss and the average times you shoot more than once at a coyote.

Though no comparison to a shotgun in the thickets I’m gonna carry my AR 99% of the time.

If I made money in anyway off of killing coyotes I’d definitely have a lot more to consider, but my AR is what I enjoy the most. But in the thickets the 44 mm scope is on the lowest setting which Is 3x.

Versamax fan here, been a good gun. I use the tactical version, just a bit shorter and easier to deal with. Patterns well out to 45yds, shoots smooth and and softens out the 3" loads.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadYeah... I use a shotgun only when I have to.... Never cause I want to.

just the opposite for me. love a coyote in my face.

someday you too may see the light.
tt2.gif

Seems a waste of a good long gun stand. You can see for hundreds of yards...

Thats what makes the world go round...everyone is a little different.

Last edited:
it is not about how far you can see. it is about getting a hard charging coyote, or multiple hard charging coyotes, killed when they run in full blast and leave even faster.

i guess if you excel at killing running coyotes with a rifle then by all means use a rifle.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadSeems a waste of a good long gun stand. You can see for hundreds of yards...

Thats what makes the world go round...everyone is a little different.

We found out many years ago that if we wanted to kill more coyotes we needed to have a shotgun shooter and a rifle shooter on most of our stands.

Some of the ranches I hunt on you can only hunt about 50% of the property with a rifle but you can hunt it all with a shotgun.

Last year I got 4 coyotes with a shotgun on one stand in the fog when I could only see about 50 yards at the most.
2017-01-14 15.04.43-1 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
In November I got 4 coyotes with a shotgun on one stand in wide open country, we could see the coyotes headed our way from about 400 yards away.
IMG_4344 by Robert Morris, on Flickr

Three different times I have taken 4 coyotes on one stand. The most coyotes I have ever taken on one stand with a rifle is 3 coyotes.

I prefer gas, and shorter for hauling through the brush. I cut mine down because I got tired of it getting caught on everything in the woods.

1100 cut to 18.5, threaded for rem chokes, and a Carlsons extension underneath. Pointing and shooting a short barrel is no different than a longer barrel. You follow through or you don't. Pointing and shooting a 26" or 16" rifle is no different. You either have good form and follow through, or you don't.

To be clear, I am no ace shot with a SG. I shoot any length barrel as equally crappy.
scared.gif

I hunt sort of near where Bob is at, my ground looks exactly like what he posted there. I do not carry both guns on stand...just my choice nowdays...but to those that say that the country he is calling there is rifle only country..those coyotes can and will sneak right up on you, super close, using those tumbleweeds and tiny gulleys strategically for cover, like ninjas. There is a lot of value in carrying the shotgun there. I choose not to, cause I am confident in my rifle shooting from arms reach close, to mid-far.
Bob slays a lot of coyotes out there.
Mark
Edit to add: I shoot a semi auto nowdays. Mostly a Mossy 930, cause for some reason I like it. I have the flat black turkey version, 24" barrel with a Kicks Hi Flyer choke on it...makes it about 25 -ish". I run Glock sights on it front and back. I had to drill a hole for the rear sight, but I like em. Small and tough.

Back