6x 6.8 6 woa 6 dti 243 lbc ect ect

carpdoctor

I am interested in a 6mm AR. I already have a 6.8 that I enjoy. So, what is the difference in all these?? What is the best feeding simplest way to go?? I will probably run a 16" (at the longest) suppressed. Also factor in dies and ease of loading. What kind of velocity could I expect out of a 12 or 14" barrel?? I do enjoy nice and short.

Basically, looking for the least amount of headache.

Last edited:
The WOA has the shoulder pushed back and the angle changed to 30 degrees and gives a longer neck than the rest. OAL of the case is the same. It does give up some case capacity. Fire forming required. Once source dies.

The 6X6.8 is a straight neck down getting all you can get out of a no muss no fuss platform. Original shoulder angle so no fire forming. Ideal for the coyote weight varmint stuff we run with the 58 and 70 levels being most excellent. It also handles 87’s well. It was also designed by Ritch who is a sponsor here. The new barrels using the proper reamer allow you to reach the lands at magazine length with everything reasonable being loaded in the case. Dies can be had from three sources.

The 243 LBC is also a straight neck down. Marginally more capacity than the 6.8 versions. It uses the original shoulder angle and no fire forming. It is probably the most accurate of the bunch and shines with the heavier bullets. One plus is the quality brass available compared to the 6.8 that seems to be meandering all over the landscape in quality. Bushing dies are available and one step dies are theoretically available from one other intermittent source.

I have four 6X6.8’s and three 243 LBC’s. I love the flexibility of bullet choice of the 6 MM and making the cases is as easy as falling off a log. If you get in on the follow up 6X6.8 die buy that MWP is doing you will be able to make the cases in one pass and go to town. I just did 100 the other day in about 30 minutes and they are absolutely perfect. If a guy had a progressive he would never have a clue that going in it’s a SAMMI deal and coming out it’s one of the most versatile wildcats on the market.

Greg

Originally Posted By: carpdoctorI am interested in a 6mm AR. I already have a 6.8 that I enjoy. So, what is the difference in all these?? What is the best feeding simplest way to go?? I will probably run a 16" (at the longest) suppressed. Also factor in dies and ease of loading. What kind of velocity could I expect out of a 12 or 14" barrel?? I do enjoy nice and short.

Basically, looking for the least amount of headache.

If you truly want to keep it to 16" at the most, you may want to look either at a .25 cal. or a 6x45.

The case capacity of the 6.8 and the bore capacity of the 6mm just doesn't lend itself well to real short barrels. The 25 DTI does much better with the shorter barrels, the original 6.8 was designed around a 14.5" barrel. All similar capacities, but the bore is what is going to burn the powder.

I was about to make an about identical post last night. The amount of new 6mm AR cases is getting head spinning.

I'm somewhere between 6-6.8 and 243LBC, I don't want to shoot the lightest 6mm bullets but I don't want to be stuck with the long 6mm target bullets ether.

There is also the necked down 6.5 grendels like 6mmAR, but isn't that basically a 243LBC? I just started looking into the 6mmAR Turbo, and I am liking the looks of that but haven't heard much.

I think if I could get a 6-6.8 with a 30 or 35 degree shoulder I would go that route.

Any one here have experience with the 6mmAR Turbo?

The 6mmAR and the 243 LBC are virtually identical. There are some changes in the shoulder placement. The LBC will shoot the light bullets also with great results. The short barrel results on the 6X6.8 and LBC show they are consistently out running the 6X45 no matter what the barrel length. 16" 6X6.8's are running with a 20" 6X45's with the same bullet across the board. My 20" 6X6.8/243 LBC runs with my 24" 6X45. Going shorter will pretty much maintain that ratio with proper powder selection.

Never shot a Turbo myself.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerI was about to make an about identical post last night. The amount of new 6mm AR cases is getting head spinning.

I'm somewhere between 6-6.8 and 243LBC, I don't want to shoot the lightest 6mm bullets but I don't want to be stuck with the long 6mm target bullets ether.

There is also the necked down 6.5 grendels like 6mmAR, but isn't that basically a 243LBC? I just started looking into the 6mmAR Turbo, and I am liking the looks of that but haven't heard much.

I think if I could get a 6-6.8 with a 30 or 35 degree shoulder I would go that route.

Any one here have experience with the 6mmAR Turbo?

The issue that I have with fire forming for a night hunting round is that about half of my brass gets lost. You don't get the advantage of the shoulder change until you either find your brass or wear your gun out fire forming it. I am not gonna carry around a mix of ammo with different shoulder angles. Size and go with the 6 and 6.5 x6.8. A 22" 6x6.8 barrel will run over 3700 with h322 and 58 vmax.

Last edited:
I don't mind fire forming and I would stick with my 223 for night hunts in my area. My 260AI brass life has been incredibly good and hassle free, an hour at the range fire forming has given me brass for the last 6 years and still going.

This would be for target shooting and plinking at 600 mostly and maybe a little longer. I have a near 20lb 260AI with a 30" barrel, a beast at 1000 but over kill for my normal fun shooting.

Quite interested in the the 6mmAR Turbo.

The 6x6.8 seems like the easy button. I have owned many wildcats over the years, and I prefer easy vs cool these days. This will be suppressed all the time just as my 6.8 is. So going longer than 16" isn't really desired.

It sounds like dropping down to 12" isn't a good idea. Shorter barrels normally work better with larger bores. This will be coyote killer not a range gun. So light and fast projectiles seem like the best choice.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: carpdoctorThe 6x6.8 seems like the easy button

I received that exact comment about the Hornady dies just the other day!

I ordered my 22" from Ritch Monday. 58's at 3650 as easy as pie. No brainer!

Last edited:
I just did my first 6x6.8 brass last night with a Redding bushing die and it was very easy.
I used Hornady One Shot case lube and powdered mica for inside neck case lube. It went as easy as sizing any other brass.
Annealed all of them and then started trimming.
Loaded a few just to see where i could seat each bullet without touching mag at 2.300 or touching rifling.

TY3LzAs.jpg

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: carpdoctorThe 6x6.8 seems like the easy button

I,m not sure you will see 3650 fps with a 22" barrel unless it's 10 twist then maybe. I have 22" 6DTI ( which holds more powder than the 6-6.8 )with a 12 twist and I am around 3560 fps with 58 gr vmax. If you get that speed that would be great. My buddy has a 24" 6-6.8 from ritch and he shoots 58 gr vmax at around 3450 fps.

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSOriginally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: carpdoctorThe 6x6.8 seems like the easy button

I,m not sure you will see 3650 fps with a 22" barrel unless it's 10 twist then maybe. I have 22" 6DTI ( which holds more powder than the 6-6.8 )with a 12 twist and I am around 3560 fps with 58 gr vmax. If you get that speed that would be great. My buddy has a 24" 6-6.8 from ritch and he shoots 58 gr vmax at around 3450 fps.
My buddy's 22" 10 twist from Ritch clocked over 3700 with h322. We backed it off to 3650 ish to tight up the spread a hair and we felt sorry for them poor coyotes lol. If it won't cooperate with the h322 we will be happy with being in the 3500's and 8208.
I was a bit shocked when they hit 3700 plus and my graph is nothing to special but it sure doesn't seem to be any too generous.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSOriginally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: carpdoctorThe 6x6.8 seems like the easy button

are you adjusting your load from your virgin cases when you reload your fired cases? or do you run the same load for both. anyone got a picture of a 6DIT unfired and fired case side by side?

Last edited:
Pretty dang close I'd say. Poor lighting, but here you go. Seems like with the Hornady 6DTI FL die, new 6.8 brass is necked down to 6mm and the top half of the shoulder is formed to 30 degrees while the bottom half of the shoulder is untouched. Upon firing, the bottom half of the shoulder blows out to 30 degrees and forms a sharper shoulder.

I haven't had time to chrono the difference or do any real testing, but it seems to shoot the same in the field out to 200 yards when I check my zero.

Below: On the left is a virgin Federal 6.8 case sized to 6DTI. On the right is a Federal 6DTI fired 1x.
25291802507_8fd8543e3c_c.jpg

I have 2 6x6.8s 24 and 22, a 6DTI and 6x45. In my experience I would get a 6x45 in a short barrel. But I'm no expert. I killed a few dozen coyotes with my 6x45 and 6x6.8 both shooting 58gr vmax. 1 coyote each at 521 yards ( both stood by the same fence post almost 1 year to the day apart). Exact same result. I have killed a few deer with each as well. 58gr vmax from the 6x6.8 bang flop. 85gr Sierra from my 6x45 bang flop. The easy of the 6x45 is nice and cheap. My 6DTI is still new with only 2 kills but so far loading formed brass is nice. What is compressed in my 6x6.8 case is no longer compressed in my 6DTI. I don't shoot paper or measure the capacity of brass. I get a load and kill stuff with it. Also the 6x45 dies can be had cheap from midway. Mine were 29.99

Back