Benelli M2?

hunter22mag

I had just about made up my mind to get one for an all purpose gun when I watched a video on YouTube by Nutnfancy and he explained that the benelli shotguns have a bad rep for not being able to reliably cycle light loads, he goes on to say that he's experienced this with multiple benelli shotguns. Anyone experience this? I really don't want to spend $1000-$1500 on a shotgun that is picky on loads

All of his videos should be taken with the smallest grain of salt. He likes to have the unpopular opinion because it gets him views.

On the contrary the Benelli shotguns I have owned (m2, m2, m4, SBE) and the one's I have been around (m2 times infinity, m4 times 10, SBE and SBE II times several, and a couple Vinci's) have all ran everything from low powered slugs and buckshot to #4 turkey loads to #8 dove loads.

I use my M2 for 3 gun, dove, pheasant, clay shoots, and coyotes. I shoot #8 dove loads from federal, Rio, and AA; low recoil slugs and buckshot from Remington; and coyote loads from Hornady. Mine is well broken in from the 3 gun matches, with at least several thousand rounds of dove loads through it and the only malfunctions I ever have are from my extended mag spring being too weak, I don't replace it near enough. Without the extended magazine tube and the factory spring back in, it has no issues.

There's a reason Benelli is the most popular shotgun in 3 Gun, it works.

I have a H&K M1 Super 90 and a M2. I’ve never had a malfunction in either one of them with any type of ammo. Wolff gun springs offers 3 weights of recoil spring for those guns. If you find that the standard spring won’t cycle some super light load get the light spring. It only takes 10 minutes to change it out. I have the heavy spring in both of my guns and they cycle ounce and one eighth loads without a hickup. They are great shotguns.

I own two M1's and my son had a Vinci and now has an M2. Zero issues with any of them. My two have been shot and hunted in all sorts of conditions and with a variety of loads - zero issues.

I bought a SBE II last June and have around 1500 shells through it between the sporting clays course and the miscellaneous hunting that ive used it for. 95% of what ive put through it were the cheapest shells i could source be it the Remington Gun Club, Field and Stream's house brand, Winchester AA and USA Target, RIO etc. Also some waterfowl loads and Remington High Brass loads for Crow as well as #4 buck for coyote. In its first 25 rounds it had two failure to feed and after that, flawless. Itd go months without cleaning and everytime i pulled it out, it would work. I must say, the SBE 3 definitely is worth the upgrade though if you need the 3 1/2". That said, i wouldnt hesitate to buy another Benelli product.

With my SBE2 i found i had trouble cycling light loads when it was brand new but after a weekend of several people using it in the goose blinds with 3 1/2 shells it has never failed to cycle after that

I’ve had several M2 and sbe 2. Shoot a load heavier than 1oz and 1150fps and you’ll be fine. Pretty sure it says this also in the owners manual. I’ve shot thousands of 1 1/8oz at 1200fps with out issue.

Ok so basically break it in with some heavier 3 inch loads and then try some lighter loads ok gotcha thanks guys and gals! I guess I should have asked in the original post but what length barrel does everyone use?

I was thinking that 24 inch would be about ideal because I want to be able to hunt any and all game but want to use it as a home defense weapon too.

Last edited:
Lube the gun liberally for a while and shoot the crap out of it. Once it's broken in you won't have any problem with it.

My M2 has a 24" barrel and it has never malfunctioned with any load that I recall....but I shoot mostly heavy loads through it for turkeys or coyotes....
Correction: my M2 has the 21” barrel and it is great imo...short, light, fast, handy...

Last edited:
I had a couple of problems with my M2 in extreme cold. {18 below) I contacted Benelli and they told me to use synthetic oil only. That was the end of my problems with my Benelli. I have a M2 12 ga and a Montefeltro 20 ga and they are my go to shotguns for everything. The cycle every shell I have ever put through them and they are so easy to clean. I really believe the synthetic oil is a big thing for them though.

I have 18.5", 24" and 26" barrels for my two M1's. The obvious compromise do it all barrel is the 24" and it does a great job. If hunting with an extended screw in choke that extends the length of the barrel the length of the exposed portion of the choke tube. My 24" barrel is usually about 25.5" in the field with a Kick's choke tube screwed in. Now, that extra length doesn't contribute to sight plane length, just OAL length. So it isn't the same as a 26" stock barrel for sight plane, smooth swing and weight out front.

my 24" m1 is stamped H&K and I've had it a looooonnnnggg time. other than replacing some springs throughout the years it has been my favorite scattergun. It cycles just about everything I feed it and will likely be the last one that I would get rid of. I've also had M2's, SBE1's, and supervinci's. the only ones I've kept are the M1 and the supervinci.

Well to give everyone an update I went and priced a new m2 at a local gun store that I KNEW sold benelli's. He quoted me around $1300 cash and I was seriously considering saving the money for it when I remembered that a pawn and gun store on the other end of town had a benelli the last time i was in there. Long story short it was a montefeltro super 90 with a 26 inch barrel used for $700 with case,chokes, and shims. I went home and did some research and it looked like the only real downside was it couldn't accept mag tube extensions which was a bummer but I went ahead and bought it. ( If I didn't buy one now I wouldn't have a turkey gun, plus the misses said that if I ended up not liking it I could sell it and put the money toward the m2.)
I took it to the range and it cycled everything from slugs to buckshot to skeetloads without so much as a hiccup.

Last edited:
I have a friend that shoots one of those and it's a typical Benelli, shoots anything and everything. I think you did good with that buy.

Originally Posted By: BangPopLube the gun liberally for a while and shoot the crap out of it. Once it's broken in you won't have any problem with it.

+1 my experience as well with my SBE!

Back