Question on backpacks

CallingArkansas

I’ve really been wanting a small size back pack with a wide mouth rifle scabbard. I do walk some, but definitely limit what walking I do due to not having a good way of handling my equipment.

I really like the Eberlestock Gunrunner Pack but worried the scabbard opening is to small. I normally carry an AR with a low mounted 44 mil scope. I don’t have any other accessories on the gun and use short magazines.

All of their packs with large mouth scabbard made to accommodate an AR are significantly larger and heavier.

I want a scabbard that protects my gun since I do move around a lot and quite often use a side x side for transportation. That way I can keep everything together and lay it in the back seat of the truck or bed of the Side x side. It will also eliminates noise when walking into a stand.

Any suggestions or advice is welcome.

The Gunrunner may be too small for an AR. I would call or email Eberlestock and see what they say. Like Lazerus I also use the X1A2, which has been replaced by the X1A3, but it fits my AR perfect.

A scoped Ar in a gunrunner is not going to work. My pistol grip Benelli m2 with an ultradot won't even fit.

I don't use a pack but do use a Minotaur Sling for my AR. It has two straps like a backpack. Everything else I need I fit in a Cabela's Pro e-call bag I sling over one shoulder.

A TAD Gear Litespeed would be a good small pack that has a transporter tail and straps to hold the rifle. But it's $$$.

Originally Posted By: jcs271A scoped Ar in a gunrunner is not going to work. My pistol grip Benelli m2 with an ultradot won't even fit.

Thats hard to believe, as a Remington 700 with a Sightron Stac and a 5rd AICS mag will fit. I will try and remember to check tonight.

Here's my gun Runner with a very low profile Leupold 1 to 4 scope in low rings and it will not fit. The pistol grip keeps it up above the mouth of the bag.

It will however fit a Ruger 77 Magnum Hunter with a very large Leupold 2 to 12 in high rings with lots of room to spare.

Originally Posted By: jcs271Here's my gun Runner with a very low profile Leupold 1 to 4 scope in low rings and it will not fit. The pistol grip keeps it up above the mouth of the bag.

I would call that "fits." The scabbard is only 34" deep, it likely wont go much deeper anyway.

That is my one complaint with the Eberlestock scabbards...they arent deep enough. Toting around a rifle with a suppressor means a LOT of gun still sticks out. Another 8-10" of scabbard would be perfect.

I'll stick to my theory that it is not a good fit. From the edge of my pistol grip to the tip of my flash hider is 24 in. That gives me a full 10in of empty bag swinging in the wind. It would be much better to have that rifle riding down inside it like it should be, completely protected.

Yep. Just clip the tail back to the pack and tighten until it gets to your muzzle. Easy peasy. They also offer a scoped rifle scabbard that will strap into the packs that have an opening for a scabbard. Or they had it a couple years ago anyways.

I fully understand how it works. My point is that if the bag was an inch wider it would allow the rifle to drop down in there and be completely protected. Spending half my winter on a snowmobile it just irritates the crap out of me to have a rifle stock sticking up above my head getting caked with snow or snagging on a branch.
P.S. that's why I got a new A3 model. The Gunrunner is now just used for hauling my versamax while I'm carrying my rifle in my hand.

I was under the impression the A3 scabbard was identical in dimension to the Gunrunner. Was I mistaken?

Edit; I see, its wider, but no deeper. Still no bueno.

Last edited:
It's snug but I can squeeze it down in there. More importantly there's a lot more pack storage space available. And a much better suspension system. The Gunrunner waistbelt is Near worthless.

The Gunrunner has more than enough pack space for my needs, and I have not had an issue with the suspension.

My sole complaint is the depth of the scabbard. I have contemplated having the scabbard sectioned and about 8" added to it. It would make the pack nigh on perfect for my needs.

Back