If you had to choose between magnification or illuminated reticle...

I find an Illuminated dot on my 1-6 very useful here in the coastal PNW, if we see blue sky it must be summer. Dull dark days and heavy cover it works well. I kill most of my coyotes on 1x or 1.5x depending on how low my scope goes. I took a 3-9 out for a run years ago, felt claustrophobic, sold it to a friend.

Last edited:
I think we expect way more than needed in a scope, it is just an aiming device. Great glass is a must but what is great glass, it takes some real crap not to be able to place the crosshairs on a coyotes chest at 300 yards.

I took a Weaver Kaspa 1-4x24mm scope out for a run this past Wednesday, no problem killing a coyote with the first shot with it. Prior to the hunt I took it to the range and the dials moved the bullet exactly where it was suppose to, it was clear enough on 4x to shoot a sub MOA group at 200 yards(actually it is rather sharp), it didn't change POI with mag changes and now that it's sighted in I'll never change it unless I change ammo. It does everything needed. $99

The second rifle I used this week wore a Leupold Varix-II 1-4x20mm, it's been in the stable a long time, all the attributes of the Kaspa but a little more compact and forgiving to eye relief through the mag change.

I have 1.5x6x40mm scopes from Burris, Sightron and Alpen(Ill. Dot) all under $300 new and work perfect.

I even have an old Weaver K-1.5 on a Drilling that I use for deer hunting and again glass is more than adequate to shoot deer in the forest of Northern WI, and it will shoot MOA groups at 100 yards.

How much scope do you really need.

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanOriginally Posted By: wormydog1724I don't like that choice, I want both so I went Trijicon Accupoint TR20-2.

What size is the dot on that one?

The center dot is .12 MIL so like .41 MOA.

For coyote hunting, i have an illuminated reticle low power variable on my AR. That'd be my choice. Now for any other use, i much prefer the benefit of higher power optics sans illumination.

Back