Merino Wool

I can't speak to Filson, but I've become a big fan of First Lite merino base and mid layers and they are a soft, fine merino wool. Even Cabelas merino is pretty good.

ive got a few pair of cabela's marino socks, they're fantastic. i wish i would have gotten more when they still sold the blems for like $5 a pair.

Costco has merino wool socks for $12/4pr, I stock up every fall, I wear them year round. They look better with my sandals than white crew socks. This is the PNW.

I love wool. I use camo fleece for an outer shell, thin wool sweaters and sweater vests in layers underneath that I get from Goodwill. Mr Rogers hand me downs LOL. Stuff em in your pack when your moving, add them for a long sit. Years ago I read a classic book, "The Stillhunter" and he wore wool, stuffed them under his belt in back as he got warm. Made sense to me. I'm haunting yard sales all summer looking for good wool pants.

I have always worn surplus polypropylene's and had no complaints, even going waist deep in water trying to retrieve a deer in the winter. But then i found merino wool thermals on sale and got a set of midweights. That is some very soft and comfortable base layers. I keep the polypro's in my pack for a backup now.

Originally Posted By: basdjsI can't speak to Filson, but I've become a big fan of First Lite merino base and mid layers and they are a soft, fine merino wool. Even Cabelas merino is pretty good.

I'm a First Lite fan also. I have quite a few pieces from First Lite, both merino and fleece. Have a few pieces of Sitka Gear also.

Originally Posted By: GCOne of my most valued hunting clothing items is a pair of Filson Whipcord Wool pants.

I bought a pair, really liked them. Against instructions i decided to wash them like my merino stuff. Set washer to wool / cold, set dryer to delicates. The pants shrunk noticably. They still fit, but leave nothing to the imagination. Great pants, but anything i cant machibe wash is pretty much worthless to me. Dont know if it was the wash or dry cycle that shrunk them, but since then ive been hang drying all of my filson stuff and have had zeeo issues. My mackinaw bibs are my favorite piece of hunting clothing. I may buy another pair of whipcord, and try air drying.

I have my whipcords dry cleaned about twice a year unless I get them particularly bloody. Even then if you let the blood dry and use a stiff brush most of it brushes right off. The pants never smell like anything but wool so human stink isn't really a factor.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: basdjsI can't speak to Filson, but I've become a big fan of First Lite merino base and mid layers and they are a soft, fine merino wool. Even Cabelas merino is pretty good.

I'm a First Lite fan also. I have quite a few pieces from First Lite, both merino and fleece. Have a few pieces of Sitka Gear also.

First Lite fan here also. I have the heavy Allegheny top and Bottom. I love it. I’ll have to check out that Filson sale though.

If you enjoy wearing wool for its stealth, warmth, breathability and camp fire spark survivability, you might want to consider looking at the various items made & sold by Empire Wool & Canvas Company https://empirecanvasworks.com/jackpinevest.htm

Everything is 1st rate and as most already know, top quality does cost a tad more than "run of the mill" stuff.

I have his Camp Coat and the Grey Fox Pullover - both are exceptional in my opinion. If I could only have one, it would be the Camp Coat, as the Grey Fox could be a real PITA, if you would be putting it on and taking it off several times during the day. I put the Grey Fox on and off about 7 times in one day and for me, it was a big PITA after the 3rd time.

These items were given a lot of thought through experience by the Company Owner and others he enjoys the outdoors with, such as the Kangaroo Pouch front warming pockets with the drawstring and a couple plastic D-rings inside the pouch and 3 top loading tail pockets located in the back of the garment. If you have ever lost a set of keys you know the value these small D-rings provide and adjusting the bottom waist line with the adjustment inside the pouch pockets is something you'll really appreciate on cold windy days. Everything about the clothing is about function ability for the person on the trail concerned with performance from his equipment.

Most haven't heard of this Company, as he works out of his garage converted to a garment shop and sells everything he makes to individuals that enjoy the outdoors when others just sit indoors awaiting summer to arrive.
smile.gif

Back