E-Caller Testing Part 2: Remote Functions and Sound Timing

About a year ago I was first introduced to predator calling by Desert Ram while he hunted as my client in South Africa.

As I live in a sheep farming area, here are many black backed jackal, and every single sheep farmer will welcome a responsible predator caller hunting on his land. I have been toying with the idea of getting an electronic caller to effectively partake in the sport/pastime of predator hunting. I know that Desert Ram was quite successful in calling black backed jackal with a mouth caller.

My problem is that not only am I half-deaf from lots of shooting and diving, but I’m also totally tone deaf! It results in not being able to "remember" a sound. So, although I have a mouth caller I cannot remember how a dying rabbit sounds, and can therefore not reproduce it well enough to fool even an inexperienced young jackal!

My question is now: What do visiting hunters, and South African jackal shooters, experience with the use of USA-made electronic callers in Africa? What sounds works? What equipment is good? What do you recommend trying? Any advice?

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Hey Snow: Great to see you are still active helping people out with their callers and remotes. I am just now getting active with the coyotes for this season now that the temperatures are dropping some. Keep up the good, impartial work as all should appreciate your efforts.

Have yall tested the prey master the older one before they came out with the wireless any way thats what i got and I have probally had it for i think 5 years and when im calling it sounds like it is just breaking up or gets very sick sounding. of course i cant find the book on it to find how u can clean it or if u can at all. I first thought it was the cards but i bought a couple new cards and they do the same thing. my cousin as the new wireless prey master and used the speaker off his and it didntr change any thing so im wondering if it is just dirty or just telling to buy the new wireless preymaster but thats two hundered dollars that i dont have

Originally Posted By: ameliafoxkillerHave yall tested the prey master the older one before they came out with the wireless any way thats what i got and I have probally had it for i think 5 years and when im calling it sounds like it is just breaking up or gets very sick sounding. of course i cant find the book on it to find how u can clean it or if u can at all. I first thought it was the cards but i bought a couple new cards and they do the same thing. my cousin as the new wireless prey master and used the speaker off his and it didntr change any thing so im wondering if it is just dirty or just telling to buy the new wireless preymaster but thats two hundered dollars that i dont have

It's the female port where the speaker wire plugs in. The female jacks in the PM3 callers were notorious for becoming loose and doing what you're describing.

I'd bet if you were to move the wire around while the caller is playing, you will see some kind of pattern where it gets better, gets worse or maybe even helps a bunch..

There are fixes for it, but it involves disassembling the keypad and unsoldering and then soldering a new jack in. Kinda tricky and not hardly worth the trouble.

Sorry--I just noticed the date---I thought my friend Doggin Coyotes was back.

Time for him to return I hope. Surely with all that goes on around the world we can give a good American Patriot another chance.

Back