Non resident North Dakota coyote hunting?

Rock Knocker

It looks like the snow conditions are going to push me and a friend out towards North Dakota this week.

We might stay on the MN side but I would like to give the Dakotas a try.

What are non resident hunting laws for coyotes and what sort of land is available to the public in North Dakota?

Thanks for any help.

I got the license prices. I was more interested in the land available to public, they don't have the most informative map layout.

I've never been hunting out there so if there are good places to go for coyotes or good places to go with clusters of public land it would be nice to know.

The Onyx app is great if your into that type of thing. Plus you can see the terrain and find landowners as well. Certain parts of the state are posted hard and others are pretty easy access. Find the cows and you will find coyotes and eager farmers who will let you on.

Apps don't work on my old flip phone but my buddy might download it. I've been cruising that Plots map and using that info to slowly mark public land on google earth.

ND Plots map only shows major roads so trying to find each spot on good earth isn't easy.

Not sure how much snow they have where you are planning on hunting but only the major roads are maintained in the winter for the most part anyways. Any field road with a fence line will be drifted in even with not a whole lot of snow. Best time to hunt is with no snow,access is much easier far off the beaten path and spreads the pressure out.

South of I-94 to South Dakota line and west of Minnesota for as far as you want, nice rolling hills with lots of cattle. Lots of river land winding back and forth. We have not been skunked in this areas Valley City is a good place to stay and head south from. Valley City is 60 miles from the NoDak border right on interstate 94. Good luck.

It looks like we are going to scrap the North Dakota idea, forecast is calling for a lot of wind.

We may be heading down towards Iowa instead.

We were down on The Iowa/Minnesota border 2 weeks ago and 2 weeks before that, not hunting but visiting relatives and the yotes just lit up All night. I had a mouth call with in my pickup and let a few howls out and the woods came alive. This was south of Jackson, 1 mile off the border to Iowa.

The warm weather down on the Mn/Ia border crusted the snow and it is very noisy. My buddy said he could hear me walking over a hundred yards away,there was not enough dirt showing through to walk on it out to a setup.

Just a quick heads up, the onx huntmaps is excellent and here in ND if it's private land but not posted as "no hunting" or "no trespassing" you can hunt it. The furbearer proclamation should have the posting rules written in it to clarify how often it must be posted. I will add that if you choose to hunt a refuge, you need to call the manager to see if it is legal to hunt coyotes. Some do not allow it because coyote keep for populations under control which prevents fox from raid ing nests of certain types of birds that next on the refuges.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to make it out there one of these days.

Because of weather we ended up going to south east corner of MN. Weather wasn't great there ether, Tuesday night was windy and Wednesday night we got snow and more wind.

Sure is a night and day difference calling down there though, it was a lot of fun having coyotes respond to almost all of my howling and they were howling all night from all directions down there. Up here in Wright county I've heard one coyote respond to us in the last two months and even that was under strange circumstances.

We didn't get any though, called a few in but they were running in and out of standing corn. The standing corn turned into a big problem we weren't expecting and hunting in the WMA left very little options for decent stands, most areas were quite thick and they would come to check us out and we would never see them. One stand we heard a coyote whimpering after we played the call a while, I've never heard that before except for the foxpro sound.

I would love to make it out to the dakotas for some day hunting .

Back